Interesting FA setup.....

So the grocery store I work at has an interesting FA setup. The store originally opened in 1998 at some point and had a brand new (at the time) Cerberus Pyrotronics system installed. Kind of an interesting choice for a mid-sized chain grocery store, since Cerberus Pyrotronics/Siemens systems are installed in larger, more high-end facilities. AV’s consist of Wheelock MT-24LSM horn strobes and Wheelock LS1M-24 remote strobes, all Cerberus Pyrotronics rebranded. The pull stations consist of MSI-10B’s, and there are no smoke detectors from what I can see, unless there are duct smokes tucked away somewhere I can’t see. Now here’s the real interesting part - the panel is a Cerberus Pyrotronics IXL, which is definitely not something you see everyday and is essentially the predecessor to the MXL-IQ. The panel even has a RAN remote annunciator tied to it in the main entryway of the store. There is also a Silent Knight fire alarm system in place, although I’m not sure what its purpose is. There is a 5820XL and a 5860R remote annunciator (below the RAN for the IXL), although I’m not sure what those are used for since the IXL system is still in use (expansion possibly?). So…there’s that. Just thought I’d share since it’s not everyday you hear about an IXL system that’s still in use. Most Cerberus Pyrotronics systems installed in the mid-late 1990’s were either the MXL/MXL-V/MXL-IQ or SXL if I remember correctly, so the IXL really isn’t all that common.

[quote=Nick post_id=86704 time=1585711114 user_id=4801]

So the grocery store I work at has an interesting FA setup. The store originally opened in 1998 at some point and had a brand new (at the time) Cerberus Pyrotronics system installed. Kind of an interesting choice for a mid-sized chain grocery store, since Cerberus Pyrotronics/Siemens systems are installed in larger, more high-end facilities. AV’s consist of Wheelock MT-24LSM horn strobes and Wheelock LS1M-24 remote strobes, all Cerberus Pyrotronics rebranded. The pull stations consist of MSI-10B’s, and there are no smoke detectors from what I can see, unless there are duct smokes tucked away somewhere I can’t see. Now here’s the real interesting part - the panel is a Cerberus Pyrotronics IXL, which is definitely not something you see everyday and is essentially the predecessor to the MXL-IQ. The panel even has a RAN remote annunciator tied to it in the main entryway of the store. There is also a Silent Knight fire alarm system in place, although I’m not sure what its purpose is. There is a 5820XL and a 5860R remote annunciator (below the RAN for the IXL), although I’m not sure what those are used for since the IXL system is still in use (expansion possibly?). So…there’s that. Just thought I’d share since it’s not everyday you hear about an IXL system that’s still in use. Most Cerberus Pyrotronics systems installed in the mid-late 1990’s were either the MXL/MXL-V/MXL-IQ or SXL if I remember correctly, so the IXL really isn’t all that common.

[/quote]

I’d like to see a picture of the IXL panel!

As for the Silent Knight system, it’s probably just for a dialer.

PS: does anyone know if voice-evac IXL’s existed?

[quote=randomperson post_id=86705 time=1585711214 user_id=3878] [quote=Nick post_id=86704 time=1585711114 user_id=4801]

[/quote]

I’d like to see a picture of the IXL panel!

As for the Silent Knight system, it’s probably just for a dialer.

PS: does anyone know if voice-evac IXL’s existed?

[/quote]

Silent king system could be for the sprinklers

Since the panel is kind of old because it was installed three decades ago, do you know if they are gonna plan on upgrading at some point?

As far as upgrading goes, I’m fairly certain that the store has no intentions on upgrading anytime soon, as the system still works great, even though it’s 22 years old at this point. If they ever do upgrade, I do wonder if they will replace the entire system or just the panel with one of those new Siemens Desigo series panels. Hard to say though as Siemens isn’t all that popular in my area anymore, we mainly have Simplex and Notifier. I can try my best to get a picture of the panel if I have the time, but given that I’ve been absolutely slammed at work with shelfs to stock for the past few weeks, I doubt I’ll have the time to go to the back office to do so. I will try my absolute best though for everyone.

If it does end up getting replaced, it probably will end up being a Notifier system with System Sensor horns since they are taking over EVERYTHING.

[quote=Nick post_id=86704 time=1585711114 user_id=4801]

[/quote]

12 schools in the district I both went to school in, and now work for, have IXL systems. Properly installed, they are BULLETPROOF and excellent systems to work with. All of our IXLs are still functioning except for a school that was fully renovated. That school now has a Siemens Cerberus PRO. Anyways, the IXL was sold 1993-1997 and superseded by the MXL-IQ. All IXL documentation disappeared off of www.cerbpyro.com at the end of 1997. I must ask…are you sure the store opened in 1998? Cerberus Pyrotronics ended their partnership with Wheelock in early 1996 when Cerberus Group (now Siemens Building Technologies) acquired Faraday. They had completely stopped shipping Wheelock devices by the beginning of 1997.

The horn/strobes in your store are Cerberus Pyrotronics MTS-15/75s, and the strobes are S15/75-SGLs.

I really like the IXL systems, and I hope to own one someday.

Yep, pretty sure it opened in 1998, 1997 at the EARLIEST. AV’s could be slightly older stock that was cleared out possibly?

Anyways, I’d love to get my hands on an IXL…the only Siemens/Cerberus Pyrotronics panel I own is a defunct two bay FireFinder XLS that is essentially a brick to me since I don’t (or ever will have) the software for it. If my job ever does try to replace it (hoping they do soon since it is getting up there in age), I will try to get my hands on it. Does anyone know if they are proprietary like the MXL or XLS?

[quote=Nick post_id=86857 time=1586836203 user_id=4801]

Yep, pretty sure it opened in 1998, 1997 at the EARLIEST. AV’s could be slightly older stock that was cleared out possibly?

Anyways, I’d love to get my hands on an IXL…the only Siemens/Cerberus Pyrotronics panel I own is a defunct two bay FireFinder XLS that is essentially a brick to me since I don’t (or ever will have) the software for it. If my job ever does try to replace it (hoping they do soon since it is getting up there in age), I will try to get my hands on it. Does anyone know if they are proprietary like the MXL or XLS?

[/quote]

IXL uses an old computer-based programmer that I’m pretty sure uses Microsoft BASIC commands, but I don’t think it has a license attached. I’ll PM you so we can discuss further.