Silver pull stations.

Have you ever seen a silver pull station in a building? A really long time ago I went to a supermarket that had a silver pull station. Those are no longer allowed. Modern code requires pull stations to be red.

I’ve seen some Notifier ones on old installs when I was in the field. Very rare to see most of them anywhere now.

1 Like

Nonred fire alarm panels and NAs are still allowed by code in most areas and are common where I live, however nonred pull stations are no longer allowed by code and I never see one.

They were used at the Int’l airport in Houston, last time I went in 2017.

NFPA 72 doesn’t actually forbid the use of white or silver pull stations.

[quote] [b]17.15.5[/b] Manually actuated alarm-initiating devices shall be mounted on a background of contrasting color. [...] [b]17.15.9.3*[/b] Unless installed in an environment that precludes the use of red paint or red plastic, manual fire alarm boxes shall be red in color. [/quote]

So what does this mean for, say, a pull station to be installed on a red wall? Well, you could use a white or silver pull station, but in most cases it’s easier to paint a white box around the pull station box.

I’ve emailed RSG to ask whether or not they still manufacture their white RMS series. Let’s see what they say.

According to RSG, they do still manufacture white pull stations with red lettering, but,

(that was directly from the email reply I got from Helen at RSG).

I imagine then, that they’re a custom deal, and that’s why they don’t appear on the regular product lineup.

My doctors office has a silver NBG-8