How often does a Fire Alarm Panel need servicing / testing – Flats

Hi, Was hoping someone can help. My boss owns 2 blocks of flats. Converted flats with retail premises under them. 7 flats in total. They are not HMO’s. Each block has a Fire Alarm Panel which is a linked system. My question is with regard to how often the fire alarm system needs to be tested/serviced as defined by law.

We have been told the following … “Generally Speaking all HMO properties would require Fire Alarm testing on a weekly basis. I know the flats are sperate in this instance but it will be deemed as a communal system as each flat is part of the system which I believe would fall under the HMO guidelines of testing weekly.” …. and as it’s tested weekly the servicing would be included in that. We were quoted £40 plus VAT per week.

Can anyone tell me how often we need to have these fire alarm panels tested / serviced so that we are legally compliant? Many thanks!

Hey there!

Unfortunately we don’t have as much familiarity with the laws in the UK(?) regarding how the testing of flats should be carried out. I tried Googling the answer and this seems to have some advice related to your question: http://www.flat-living.co.uk/advice/1903-weekly-fire-alarm-testing

It seems that B.S. 5839 does require that fire alarms be tested in flats on a weekly basis. This does make sense as residents are likely going to be staying for long periods of time - especially for sleeping which statistics from the American Red Cross cite that fires happen most often in the evening hours.

I would highly recommend you contact your local fire brigade or AHJ if you need more specifics on how the fire alarm system should be tested. They may have special regulations or exceptions depending on each case. Was it a fire alarm inspector/technician who told you that it should be going with weekly testing?

As a side note, always go with the safer choice if you have doubt. I’m sure your boss would rather not have the liability over his head if the small chance of a fatal fire happens.

It’s all variable based on local laws. For example, out in my area (Chicago) most inspections are only once a year, but there are some buildings such as nursing homes or hospitals that require inspections 2, 3, or 4 times a year. So… it really all depends on the rules in your area of the world.