COVID-19 and fire drills

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
firedriller
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

How will Covid-19 change the way we do fire drills?
I think a good old-fashioned fire drill today- Mr Burns
Welcome to hogwarts- alarm panel
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: randomperson Fire Alarms

In my opinion, not at all.

There are many other situations for which prolonged close contact is much more likely. In addition, outdoor activities have a lower risk for COVID exposure.

Lockdown drills, on the other hand... I could theoretically see those being temporarily suspended - especially due to the anxiety that COVID has caused.

However, the thing I'm REALLY wondering about is fire alarm testing and maintenance in hospitals and long-term care facilities - they might not want technicians entering every single room!
Last edited by Johann on Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Condensed three sequential posts into one.
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017. he/him

YouTube | Twitter | Facebook
Email: everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: EpicFireAlarms

I agree that by and large fire drill procedures shouldn't have to be substantially modified to comply with COVID social distancing requirements. Certain buildings may opt to change evacuation procedures to minimize close contact or implement staggered evacuations if a ton of people would normally evacuate from a single exit point (which of course isn't great under normal circumstances, but plenty of older buildings lack proper emergency exits). More interesting will be that with many schools implementing a hybrid in-person/computer-based learning system there will need to be more drills held so that everyone is able to practice the procedures. When my school had to implement a hybrid system two years ago after a fire, two drills were held one day apart so that students attending in-person on both days could practice procedures. States/districts that opt to start the year with completely virtual learning would probably have some requirements for drills relaxed simply because there would be less in-person instruction days over the course of a year. So as an example, maybe if the state requires ten drills a year but the first three months of school are online the state modifies the requirement to only require seven this year. Those are pretty much the only changes that I see happening.
DownsLife+Safety
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: Bousai Guy

As far as I know, the state has been pretty lenient for schools not practicing fire drills due to online schooling. I'm not sure how hybrid schools seem to approach it (couldn't pull up any records for hybrid schools in Georgia), but I wouldn't be surprised if they took a two-day drill approach given they report the student numbers accurately on both days.
Bousai Guy ~ Inspiring to prepare safer lives
Find my YouTube Channel Here!
Gentex Guy
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: Gentex Guy

I don't think it will affect the way fire drills are performed. From what I've heard, the majority of schools that are doing in-person instruction are doing it in a hybrid way where half the school does online instruction and the other half does in-person instruction each day. If anything, they'll make you stand 6 feet apart in the attendance lines once you're outside.
teach1987
New Participant
New Participant

Of course, I cannot speak for all of the schools, but my admin has said that fire drills will still occur monthly along with tornado drills. We are unclear on plans for lockdown drills, but it is my guess that we will at least practice our August lockdown drill so that we can get an idea of how to lockdown in the future.
TheAlmightyZach
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Fire Alarm Tech

If you’re back in school, then drills will probably be as normal. If online, I sure hope they don’t make you run out of your own home! 😂
Zach - Administrator & Site Owner
Former Fire Alarm Technician for a local company in the Chicago Area, Full Time Student
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/FireAlarmTech
Robert A
YouTube Username: Aslin Fire Safety

From my experiences with fire drills in high school, the hallways become a sea of people - most definitely a bad thing in the midst of a COVID pandemic. It's like passing period but could go on for several minutes more. Of course in a real fire emergency, the most pressing threat is the fire and not necessarily the pandemic. That's not to say that the pandemic is no longer important, but when given the option between suffocating in toxic smoke and being more likely to contract COVID when you're packed close together for five to six minutes, I'd gladly take the latter.
Robert Aslin | Moderator
My YouTube Channel | Aslin Fire Safety
If you need to contact me for any reason, please send me a PM, or email me at aslinrobert15(at)gmail.com
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Robert A wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:41 pmwhen given the option between suffocating in toxic smoke and being more likely to contract COVID when you're packed close together for five to six minutes, I'd gladly take the latter.
100% agreed!

That being said, anyone who's at high risk of serious illness from COVID-19 should consider various circumstances that could lead to close contact (including evacuations) in determining whether to go to a public place or not.
I strongly urge anyone at high risk to avoid crowded places at this time.

Nothing in this post should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine. Always consult a doctor for medical advice.

An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present.
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017. he/him

randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

TheAlmightyZach wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:10 pm If online, I sure hope they don’t make you run out of your own home! 😂
It's happened.