I am a newbie a fire alarms. Looking for old fire alarm parts

I was looking online for a simplex 2001, but the prices were eye popping!
Is it possible to pull fire alarms out of old buildings and give them to somebody
I am 14 and i am autistic so no offensive replys
If so let me know in the comment section or hit me up via message

[quote=SimplexFan2006 post_id=87919 time=1606098683 user_id=6232]

Is it possible to pull fire alarms out of old buildings and give them to somebody

[/quote]

If you become aware of a building that’s slated for demolition, feel free to ask the owner or demolition company if you could retrieve the fire alarm equipment!

So if you’re new to fire alarms, I wouldn’t recommend starting out with a Simplex 2001. They’re cool panels, but their age and complexity may become an issue for someone new. I would instead suggest going with a basic conventional panel, like a Fire-Lite MS-2 or MS-4. It’s a fantastic and very easy panel to use, and since getting an MS-2 in January of this year, I have had absolutely no problems with it. Prices may vary on eBay, but I wouldn’t pay anything above $300 for a brand new MS-2. I managed to get my MS-2 for $150 plus shipping brand new in box, and I’m sure you could get one for around that price if you wait long enough. You could also save a decent amount of money and use a security system (like a Honeywell Vista 20p) as a basic fire alarm system. You would need to know how to program it, but with a few YouTube tutorials you should be okay. Whatever panel you decide to get, I would read through some of the topics on here, it has a lot of very useful information and it helped me a lot when I first got my panel.

Official Newageserveralarm created a Fire Alarm Buyer’s Guide to help new enthusiasts like you an idea of what to pick for a first alarm/pull stations/ smoke detectors. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD0EC8FD7759E3686

Yeah I’m on the high-functioning end of the spectrum myself, and know how it feels to get crappy replies. IMO, you can check the following places:
A. Your local restore will most likely have exit signs, but will sometimes have fire alarms.
B. Ebay is a kinda risky endeavor, but you can find some unique items, albeit at a higher price.
C. If you know a building is going to be demolished, then you can contact someone in charge of the demo and arrange a salvage.
D. Amazon has several new alarms, just be sure you know what you are buying.
E. Specialized online or in-person stores. You can find plenty of life safety stores on the web (ADI is a godsend), but make sure you’re on a reliable site.
F. The “Flea Market” section of this forum is an OK place to get things, old or new.
A couple things to avoid:
A. Ripoffs of common alarms. Those Fake-Lyte BG-12s and Classic Copies are like wildfire.
B. Pre-1980s items. These may have switches that contain vials of Mercury (a dangerous liquid metal) that could easily rupture from a fall or drop.
C. Items with titles that make no sense.
D. adamstang2005. He has been hostile to buyers.
E. Anyone that has been called out as hostile or unfriendly on the “Flea Market” section.

If you are anywhere near Cincinnati I have some equipment you can have to get you started. Control panels, detectors, pull stations and notification.

Here’s a (somewhat old) list of bad eBay sellers and why.