4100ES SIMPLEX - No battery needed $$$ saving

Dear All,

I would like to share with you guys some initiative and ask your support.
In order to save battery $$$ cost, and because I have a central UPS system in my HOTEL, I connect the 4100ES Simplex thru the main building central UPS.
So I though I can save the money for the battery replacement (maintenance).

Now I just need to have a 230/24 DCand fake the battery signal and it done! How can I do it without burning the board.
I am afraid to connect ±24 VDC to the exsting battery connectors and damaged the board.

Anyone know how to do it? This can help to save a some kUSD/year

Thanks a lot to everyone can keep safe - COVID 19

Unless you’re a licensed fire alarm technician, I’d strongly urge you to not do this especially being that this hotel (I assume) is occupied by the public. You can try calling a fire alarm technician to see if they can do something of this sort, but I’m fairly certain that this modification would be against code.

1 Like

Simplex is quite proprietary when it comes to their high end panels like the 4100ES so I wouldn’t tinker around with the panel for the sake of causing another problem with the panel, or problems that could manifest later on. Like Gentex Guy said, call a technician, but you’re better off calling Simplex themself, unless you’re under contract with a fire alarm company, then call them.

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for your replies.
I was checking the code, and in fact I can supply the main thru the my Central UPS. Its allowed.
So, in theory if I already have backup power I shall not need extra power backup (batteries).

I was hoping to save extra and in this COVID-19 all $$ counts.
Placing only DC24 instead doesn`t seem well.
Thanks a lot for your comments.

Cheers

I do not recommend you attempt the battery hack - it works in some cases, but for an actual system damaging a panel can be very costly.

I highly suggest you reach out to a technician for an issue like this. I don’t usually see UPS hooked up to fire alarm systems, so having a technician come and do the final work for you will be your best bet. Also, supervision is required per NFPA 72 (ver. 2019) 10.6.4.4, which I believe can be integrated as part of the system’s power supply monitoring:

I’m concerned - is this installation approved by the AHJ? You can’t just go by theory for a life safety system being used in a building.

1 Like

EDIT: Double-posted by accident. See post below.

Conclusion: just pick up some bloody batteries! Sure, they’re not super cheap, but you can get two 15Ah batteries for $85.53 from the Home Depot. That’s like four face value P2WLs. Not much in the grand scheme of things. If you have to use the UPS, connect the mains ([BEFORE THE UPS) to a contactor hooked up to the FACP room’s zone, and if the mains turns off, the UPS turns on, but the contactor opens the zone causing a trouble. If your system is addressable, use a contactor hooked up to a monitor module. Name the module accordingly (e.g. “MAIN SPLY SUP”.) Though, I would STILL put batteries in to be safe, and to get rid of the trouble.

[quote=MAUROPAULO post_id=88123 time=1611211028 user_id=6392]

I was checking the code, and in fact I can supply the main thru the my Central UPS. Its allowed.
So, in theory if I already have backup power I shall not need extra power backup (batteries).

[/quote]

I can’t say for certain whether or not hooking the panel up to a UPS is against code, in your jurisdiction it may be allowed. However, I am fairly certain that having the panel hooked up to the UPS is not an adequate substitute for having proper backup batteries hooked up to the panel, and modifying the system in a way that clears a trouble when one is present is almost certainly against code. Regardless of whatever is or is not against code, if you are not a licensed fire alarm technician, you should not be doing any sort of modifications to your system. Remember, this is a life safety system. Cutting corners on your system to save money is not worth the potential risks of the system not working properly if God forbid there was ever a fire.

Another thing to note is that the panel also charges the batteries when there is AC power so hooking up certain UPSs could damage the UPS or the panel’s charging circuit, so i would refrain from doing that at the risk of damaging the panel or UPS.