What alarm do you have at work/school

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

It sounds more complicated then it should be which is probably why they might be dragging their feet.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
NC Fire Alarm

At my school, we have Wheelock ZNS Ceiling mount as well as wall mount, and we have Firelite BG-10L Pull Stations.
SimplexCollector
New Participant
New Participant
YouTube Username: Fire Alarms of Northeast Kansas

My school has a Siemens XLS voice system. Pulls are Siemens HMS-Ds under Stopper covers, and the smokes are Siemens HFP-11s. There are also duct detectors with HFP-11 heads as well. Most of the school has Siemens ZH-MC-R (Wheelock ZNS) horn strobes and Siemens ZR-MC-R (Wheeock ZRS) strobes. The gym, cafeteria, pool, and auditorium have Siemens SET-MC-R (Wheelock E70) speaker strobes. They play the standard Code 3 tone with the female message.
FireAlarmLover5001
New Participant
New Participant

My school has a Gent system, compromising of C3s, Honeywell (rebranded) pull stations and S-quads, as the new additions.
VibratoneKing
New Participant
New Participant
YouTube Username: VintageVibratone

My current place of employment doesn't have a fire alarm system, though in terms of work/school, I always found one of my middle school system's the most interesting.

The system consisted of modern Wheelock NS-24MCW horn strobes in the halls with RSS-24MCW remote strobes in each of the classrooms. Nothing crazy, though next to every bell and alarm in the hallways sat non-functioning gray Standard Electric 4-350s; none in the classrooms except for one. I always thought that those horns were part of the previous system presumably installed when the building was built in the 60s, though I heard that 4-350 in that classroom that I mentioned go off once with the bell system, so I'm completely unsure of their purpose. Was extremely quiet too, as if it wasn't drawing enough current.

My high school also had Simplex 4903-9219s set on continuous with traditional T-bar pulls. Despite the cinderblock hallways, they were much more pleasant on the ears than anything I'd experienced prior.
"We were fortunate to be there a day or two before 'the big bang' and then we got the heck out of town."

-Scotty Moore
FireAlarmLover5001
New Participant
New Participant

That system that is in the middle school you mentioned is rather unique, and those non-functioning alarms are probably quite rare in the field.
maxshaw
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: max shaw

I did a 'virtual' tour of the university that I'm going to in the fall and wasn't surprised to see that most of the updated dorms have Siemens Cerberus Pyrotronics voice evac systems with rebranded E-50's... along with sounder bases in the dorm rooms. Unfortunately, it looks like they're really pushing to have most / all of their old academic buildings redone for the fall semester. When I took a tour last summer, there were some pretty nice Simplex systems from the '70s and '80s, as well as a few newer Notifier systems that had Spectralert Advances, so it's going to be interesting to see what they decide to do with the renovations. Siemens really seems to be dominating the university market, so I wouldn't be surprised to see all of the buildings have the same setup as the dorms.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: randomperson Fire Alarms

maxshaw wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:36 pmalong with sounder bases in the dorm rooms
In many cases the sounder bases only activate locally. Do the rooms also have speakers in them?
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017.

YouTube
Email: everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
maxshaw
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Not that I recall, one of the dorms I looked at had rebranded ZNS strobes in each room along with the sounders though.
The fire alarm dude
New Participant
New Participant
YouTube Username: Owen Weber

My school does not allow phones during school hours but we have an ma 9200 idols adressable fire alarm control panel,for the pull stations we have firelite bg-12lxs. And for the smokes we have sd 355s we have one system sensor heat detector in the kitchen and for nacs we have specter alert advances
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

maxshaw wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:51 am Not that I recall, one of the dorms I looked at had rebranded ZNS strobes in each room along with the sounders though.
Then that means that the sounder bases activate upon any alarm. They sound like U-MMT's.
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017.

YouTube
maxshaw
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Oh no, that's going to be absolute torture... imagine being woken up by a U-MMT...
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

A surprise at my high school!
BHSunusualalarm.jpg
BHSunusualalarm.jpg (94.19 KiB) Viewed 672 times
This is found at the receiving entrance to the main building. A Simplex 2901-9553 horn on a 4050-80 light plate with the lens missing! The horn is obviously replacing a Simplex 4040 that failed, but what's unusual is how all the other 4040s I've seen at this school are flush-mounted with no visual signals! Then again, this is all I saw of the receiving area. And yes, the original pulls are Edwards 270-SPOs, original to the school's 1969-70 construction with Simplex 4247 systems using 4040 horns (though the main building here has an FCI FC-72 from the early 90s running the system currently.) The school is due for an expansion and renovation soon, so obviously this rarity's days will soon be numbered (along with the city's loudest fire alarm system currently in place!)
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

maxshaw wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 pm Oh no, that's going to be absolute torture... imagine being woken up by a U-MMT...
I don't really know what else to say, but it's the same horn. At least you've been forewarned.
(the Wheelock lawsuit only affected standalone notification appliances - not smoke detector bases.)

YouTube
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

is there a chance that theres a white speaker than camouflages with the wall/ceiling that wasnt shown in the virtual tour?
blm // he/him