What alarm do you have at work/school

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

You're both right--I did a little online research and that is definitely an Edwards 860-series horn/strobe device, even though it is akin to an Integrity. This was most likely designed for special applications.
FireAlarmPanel347
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

At my school in the main building, we have SpectrAlert Advances, Fire-Lite SD355T smoke detectors, and Fire-Lite BG-12LX pull stations. The other building is the same, except it has older generation Wheelock AS instead of the SpectrAlert Advances.
Fire Alarm Collector Since Dec. 2016
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

You mean the ones that are vertical?
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Today, I finally figured out that for the Cerberus Pyrotronics alarms, the ones with the thicker backboxes were horn/strobes and the ones with thinner ones were strobes. Should have figured this out way earlier lol...

They’re extended out the walls sort of like blocks if you were wondering what i meant.
blm // he/him
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

You mean something like this?

I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

the backboxes are white and the alarms were mtls and s17s. I’ll get a couple picture tomorrow

big note that strobe boxes are heavily installed around stairwells, in all classrooms and bathrooms, and a few instances randomly in hallways. I assume the old U-MMTs are the same because I saw a picture of a U-MCS in a classroom.

These are all gone now though so all thats left are covers.
blm // he/him
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

ok so heres a bad sketch of that they look like in terms of width. CP NAs would’ve been installed on these

this is what the horn/strobes (MTLs) were mounted on...

and these are what the remote strobes (S15s) were on

correction that the remote strobes were model number s15 not s17; thought that was strobe candela stuff
blm // he/him
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

In the east building; Alarms, pull stations, and smoke detectors are getting removed and covered everywhere in hallways daily. Nothing much happening in any classrooms/ bathrooms/ pool/ gym etc... those are probably last.

Its going from first floor to third floor, and all simplex material on the first floor hall are removed, with about half on the second floor. Surprisingly, they’re reducing the amount of pull stations to exits/by stairwells and smoke detectors to fire-doors, so theres a lot of instances where both an alarm/pull combo are covered.

I’ll get a comparison pic on Monday, lots of white covers under white covers...
blm // he/him
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Not gonna help when it ends up getting all dusty and dirty but I guess it doesn't matter as long as the devices are kept working.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:49 pm Not gonna help when it ends up getting all dusty and dirty but I guess it doesn't matter as long as the devices are kept working.
I mean they’re removing all the simplex devices. The siemens devices are kept put. Removal is actually really clean, just a bunch of different covers are being used because daily stock is different.
blm // he/him
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

But they are all the same white color right?
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Thats actually the thing. Originally they used beige cover plates (of different sizes depending on the hole in the wall left over) because the walls were beige and the workers wanted them to blend in. And then on Wednesday/Thursday they just started using white covers for some reason. Theres still a bunch of alarms not removed yet mostly on the third and some of the second floor (not counting individual rooms like classrooms because those are probably last). I’m predicting by the end of this month atleast the system will be finished.
blm // he/him
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

an example of what I’m trying to say:

This is a pic before removal

And this is the pic after removal

note the same room...

heres a final picture featuring a new pull station, which are only now commonly found near stairwells and exit doors.
blm // he/him
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Strange. I would have imagined the plate would have been a lot more larger to cover up the whole alarm placement rather than just a small part.
Railfan99
YouTube Username: Amtrakfan2009

At my Elementary School, we had a Silent Knight (Can't remember the panel) system, with a SIGCOM Voice Evac system. The signals were Wheelock E70s+ 1 E50 in the halls, along with a combination of RSS and Spectralert Classic strobes in the classrooms (a speaker was in the ceiling in the classrooms). The voice evac panel was set to the whoop setting and it scared the **** out of me the first time I heard it. Here's a video I found from TheLilRubix1 that shows what it sounded like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtNNq1K7vIs

As far as my middle/high school, it was a combination of Spectralert classics, advances, Wheelock AS, NS, and RSS and spectralert classic strobes in the restrooms. I don't feel like adding a link to a video because I think everyone on this forum knows what the listed alarms sound like.