What alarm do you have at work/school

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: randomperson Fire Alarms

Okay...
So I got to school as usual... when I noticed the Norel Service Co, Inc vans in the parking lot. I knew what this meant!
Sure enough, the technician was at the panel, which was in alarm, with the signals disabled.
This was part of an inspection on a suppression system in a server room on the 4th floor.
They left and reset everything back to normal after ~15 minutes.
Last edited by kcin556 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed potential advertising link
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017.

YouTube
Email: everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
maxshaw
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: max shaw

The renovation of my high school is nearly complete, so the old Siemens Cerberus Pyrotronics MXL-IQ is on the way out. All that's left is the panel, a dozen or so alarms, a few pull stations, and one annunciator, all of which will be gone in a few months. It's being replaced with a Simplex 4100 ES! I don't think Simplex makes weatherproof speakers yet, so I imagine that they'll install weather proof truealert horns in the courtyard, but all of the classrooms have white ceiling mount speaker strobes, and everywhere else (including bathrooms) has red wall mount speaker strobes. The system does the standard Simplex whoop sound followed by the male evacuation message. They definitely are quieter than the old UMMT's, but they still pack a good punch and the voice carries well over ambient noises, so I'm pretty impressed. Anyway, here are some pictures:
Siemes 2.jpg
Simplex-Siemens.jpg
maxshaw
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Is that Simplex alarm mounted vertically in the hallway?
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
maxshaw
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

The new Truealert speakers are actually intended to be mounted like that. The fire lettering is still facing the right way.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Forgot to mention but the new unfinished addition (not open, making observations from looking out the school windows) for my school has the same siemens ceiling mounted mns speaker/strobes and speakers, along with smoke detectors extremely visable due to the red covers. Dunno about pull stations, those may be very scarce.

Oh and Maxshaw do you have any pictures of the TrueAlertES speaker/strobes in the classrooms?
blm // he/him
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Can you see if you can get a closer picture of it? If you can't, I understand but I just figured I would ask.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
maxshaw
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sorry, I don't have any right now, but I'll try to get some next week.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

If you can't, don't worry about it. It just looked like it was upside-down when mounted like that.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:00 pm If you can't, don't worry about it. It just looked like it was upside-down when mounted like that.
Its one of the new TrueAlertES signals; they look like that.
blm // he/him
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Yeah I only just figured it out now. It's fine. It still looks weird but I know that is how it is supposed to be mounted.
maxshaw
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Well, there really aren't many pictures of Truealert ES speaker/ strobes yet, so I might as well try to get some, especially of the white ceiling mount versions. They're actually pretty discrete if you don't know what you're looking for, which is the point.
The Silent Knight
New Participant
New Participant

My current school has old Autocall single stroke bells coded to 4x4. My previous schools have had Spectralert Advances and one had old unknown bells, also coded to 4x4.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: randomperson Fire Alarms

Simplex 4051 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:11 am Yeah I only just figured it out now. It's fine. It still looks weird but I know that is how it is supposed to be mounted.
Here's a picture from the Simplex website.
Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 21.15.29.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 21.15.29.png (121.15 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017.

YouTube
Email: everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Yeah that does make sense since that is how the alarm seemed to be mounted in maxshaw's picture.