Alarms on TV/Movies

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Robert A
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Aslin Fire Safety

Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:33 pm

In another episode of Doctor Who (set in a school), the Doctor, Rose, Mickey, and a student are brainstorming how to evacuate the school after a Krillitane invasion. The student elbows the call point and sets the alarms off (bells on Continuous), but a Krillitane punches through the wall and tears out the wires, disabling the alarm.
Robert Aslin
My YouTube Channel | Aslin Fire Safety
If you need to contact me for any reason, you may email me at aslinrobert15(at)gmail.com.
ccs46
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: ccs4646

Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:06 pm

Robert A wrote:In another episode of Doctor Who (set in a school), the Doctor, Rose, Mickey, and a student are brainstorming how to evacuate the school after a Krillitane invasion. The student elbows the call point and sets the alarms off (bells on Continuous), but a Krillitane punches through the wall and tears out the wires, disabling the alarm.
Is this yesterdays?
Chris Sprague - Overseer of Sarcasm
Robert A
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:59 pm

If by yesterday you mean sometime in 2005, then yes. I'm still on Tennant, only about ten episodes since Eccleston regenerated.
Robert Aslin
If you need to contact me for any reason, you may email me at aslinrobert15(at)gmail.com.
Robert A
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:52 pm

That's how I knew right away they never left the UK for that episode. I think, in the second or so episode, Rose hits a call point to cause a distraction in a restaurant. It's interesting how often that happens in the show, at least after the reboot...
Robert Aslin
kcin556
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: kcin556

Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:43 pm

This news story aired on WGN Chicago about a week ago, but this picture is actually a screenshot from their app on my phone. I believe that is an EST FireShield panel in the background of this shot.
Attachments
wgn fire panel.png
wgn fire panel.png (120.12 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
Nick - Administrator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 on YouTube
missj_73
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:43 pm

I found an old VHS tape today of mine of mine when I went threw my taping shows and movies off the TV phase back in the late 1980s/early 1990s. I found a movie from 1986 called Bach and Broccoli. It is a French Canadian movie dubbed in english. There is a brief scene about midway into the movie that features a Family Gard fg888d but it makes the sound of a DC squealer instead of a piezo. Sounded like my parents old Dicon alarm. I never knew those alarms once had squealers and even for 1986 a squealer noise would be rare Im thinking. Maybe the sound of the alarm is dubbed? Either way it is interesting.
missj_73
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:24 pm

It also could have been a fg777d model. They look the same to me. Too bad Im unable to post this as it is from a VHS tape (yes Im that old. LOL!!!) I can't find this scene on youtube.
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:16 pm

What sounds like a 10" Simplex 4090 bell can be heard going off at the start of this commercial...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhfntLl6xx0
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:39 pm

An episode of the "Fuller House" Netflix series (revival of "Full House"), "The Not-So-Great Escape," D.J.'s son Jackson creates a diversion in his science class with Ramona (Kimmy's daughter) so Ramona can escape; it involves causing smoke that trips a sprinkler. When it activates, what sounds like a 6" school bell is heard going off (clearly supposed to represent a fire alarm), and of course, all the other sprinklers in the room activate as well! (At least they don't in the rest of the building.)

For fans of the original series, this is at Van Atta Middle School, where D.J. went for seventh and eighth grades!
hunterfirealarms
New Participant
New Participant
YouTube Username: HunterFireAlarms

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:26 pm

The most frequent alarm I see on TV is the 270-SPO pull station.
Samson
Administrator
Administrator

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:44 pm

hunterfirealarms wrote:The most frequent alarm I see on TV is the 270-SPO pull station.
That would be because they are an iconic pull station. I remember about several months ago i sold a few of them to a production company, as it read on the shipping label.
Samson B. - Administrator
If you have any questions or concerns please send me a PM.
http://sambader.us
Destin
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
YouTube Username: thesdx

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:08 am

They're also inexpensive and can be ordered from most electrical suppliers.
Destin L. (thesdx)
My Website — FireAlarmCollector.com
My YouTube Channel
I'm no longer very active on here, but if you wish to contact me, feel free to send me a PM. :wink:
Jack
YouTube Username: FireAlarmCollector

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:46 pm

I've sold many as props, too. I think the reason why is they are very common and have been produced for a long time so they blend in with a lot of time periods. They're also cheap.
Jack Kirkpatrick - Moderator
Reseller, Collector
ShopFireAlarms Website
FireAlarmCollector Site
FireAlarmCollector Youtube
Samson
Administrator
Administrator

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:54 pm

mytechtime wrote:I've sold many as props, too. I think the reason why is they are very common and have been produced for a long time so they blend in with a lot of time periods. They're also cheap.
Interesting, and yes they are CHEAP!!
Samson B. - Administrator
If you have any questions or concerns please send me a PM.
http://sambader.us