Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
university_student

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:54 pm

The library at my university has a very strange fire alarm setup. The library has two parts, one from the mid-2000s, and one from this year, both of which replaced a 1960s building in increments, that during construction wasn't completely demolished and they kept part of - i.e. they added a second floor to the original 1960s building and extensively renovated the first floor.

The mid 2000s section that replaced the original 1960s section has EST Genesis Horn Strobes, 278 pulls, and EST SIGA smoke detectors, and because its a large building I would presume the panel is an EST3. When they built this section they added EST devices to the remaining 1960s section, and replaced whatever system the 1960s building had.

The 2018 section that replaced the remaining 1960s section has Simplex TrueAlert speaker strobes, TrueAlarm Smokes, 4099 pulls, and the panel is a 4100ES.
The sections are connected on both floors, and it looks like one building from the outside and for the most part on the inside, not a bunch of additions slapped together

The weird thing is that in the rooms that are in between the new 2018 section and the mid-2000s section that is part of the original 1960s building that were also extensively renovated before the opening of the 2018 section, the setup is a Simplex/EST combination. There are Genesis horn strobes on the walls in some rooms with TrueAlert Speaker Strobes on the ceiling. There are both TrueAlarm smokes and SIGA smokes on the ceiling just a few feet from each other. They did remove EST pull stations from this section and replaced them with Simplex. I'm surprised that during the extensive renovation they didn't remove the EST devices from this section, and I thought they would remove them at a later time but its been open for just about 6 months and nothings been touched.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:53 pm

The Chelo's that is close to my house and the address it has of 505 Silver Spring St, Providence, RI 02904 used to have Space Age Electronics 2DCD horns with AV32 flashers and Simplex T-Bar pulls. When they renovated, the alarms were replaced with NBG-12LX pulls and Wheelock Exceeder horn/strobes.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:33 am

The Port Orange library has a Silent Knight Voice Evacuation System (most likely a 5208XLEVS) replacing a Grinnell Autocall TFX800. Pulls are all Silent Knight SD-500PSs replacing Autocall 5050s, and smokes are SD505Ps replacing Autocall models. Signals are Federal Signal Speaker/Strobes with one Gentex model replacing a broken device.
RSSAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: RSS alarms

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:28 am

Image this is the sprinkler system at my local library, you can see the potter tamper switches and the Jenny air compressor which periodically kicks in and makes a noise.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:38 am

Wow that sure is a lot of pipes and controls that make that system work.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
Chase Reinhardt
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: Firealarm237
Instagram: albertafirealarms

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:25 pm

Cochrane Arena has an Edwards 2280 system (annunciator at entrance), with an Edwards 6100 D Durabel (6" gong) just after the entrance, a Wheelock MB-G6-24 bell (obviously replacing a failed Durabel) in the arena, and EST G1R-HDVM horn/strobes in the hallways to the dressing rooms, zamboni room etc. Pulls are mostly Edwards 270-SPO, some Mircom MS-401 pulls and a couple of Notifier MPS-950B pulls (probably replacements for failed Edwards 270-SPO's). Smokes are Edwards EC30U-3.
Chase Reinhardt
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:19 pm

Alright everyone, very big report.

Fifth Avenue Place has a Simplex 4100+ system, with Wheelock E-9025-LS-24-CFW speaker/strobes and Wheelock E-9025-W speakers. Pulls are Simplex 2099-9107, smokes Simplex 4098-9714.

Bow Valley Square has a GIANT Notifier NFS2-3030C system with DVC (4 panels, one in each tower), with mainly System Sensor SPSCW speaker/strobes and System Sensor SPCW speakers, in the pattern of speaker/strobe, speaker, speaker/strobe, etc. A few areas have System Sensor SP2C2475 speaker/strobes from an older system. On at least the 32nd floor in the 4th tower has an SPCW speaker with a System Sensor SCW strobe near it. The parkade has mainly System Sensor SPSR speaker/strobes, but there are a couple System Sensor SP200W speakers on the ceiling with System Sensor SC2475 strobes on the wall. There are some Wheelock ET-1010-R vandal-resistant speakers with SC2475 strobes next to them, as well as these re-entrant speakers that look similar to the System Sensor MA12/24D. Pulls are mostly Notifier N-MPS-2A, and a couple of Notifier MPS-950B, smokes are Notifier FSP-851. I have not heard the first stage alarm, but the general alarm is a recording of a 10" bell in code-3 (kinda like the Wheelock MB-G10-24), and a custom message that says "Attention! May I have your attention please! A fire condition exists. Please proceed to the nearest safe exit stairwell, and convince emergency evacuation procedures. Do not use the elevator." It is programmed to play the message twice, and the bell sound at least 3 times. The speakers in the office floors are set to 2 watts, while in the mall they are 1 watt, all strobes are synchronized.

Brookfield Place has an EST3 system, with mainly EST GC-S2 speakers high on the ceiling. On one side of the 2nd floor, there are EST G1-VM strobes, while the other side has EST G4-S2 speakers. Near the entrance, there is an EST 757-1A-S25W speaker. In the Plus 15 skywalk that leads you to Bow Valley Square and Scotia Centre, there are EST GC-S2VM speaker/strobes. The office floors possibly have GC-S2VM speaker/strobes and GC-S2 speakers. Pulls are EST SIGA-270P, smokes EST SIGA2-PS. All strobes are 15cd, speakers 1/2 watt.

Scotia Centre has a Simplex 4100+ system, with Simplex 2902-9316 speakers. Pulls are Simplex 2099-9107, smokes Simplex 4098-9714.

Hudson's Bay in downtown Calgary has a Simplex 4100U system, with mainly Wheelock MBS-G10-24 bell/strobes. On the 3rd level, there is a Cerberus Pyrotronics BMD-1024C bell. On the 2nd level, there is a Simplex 2901-9724 bell on a Wheelock RSSP-24MCW strobe plate (replacing a Wheelock bell/strobe), and also a Wheelock MB-G10-24 bell on a Wheelock RSSP-24MCW strobe plate too. Pulls are Simplex 4099-9001, but there is a Simplex 4099-9004 as a replacement. Smokes are Simplex 4098-9714.

The CORE Shopping Centre (consists of a 4-level shopping mall and 4 office towers) has a GIGANTIC Siemens MXL system, with mainly Siemens SE-MC-CW-B speaker/strobes (rebranded Wheelock E60-24MCC-FW), and Siemens SEC-W speakers (rebranded Wheelock E60-W). In the Indigo Spirit, there are SEC-W speakers and Siemens ZR-MC-CW-B strobes (rebranded Wheelock ZRS-24MCC-FW). In the Rocky Mountain Soap Co. there is a Siemens CS-4200-25 speaker. Pulls are Siemens HMS-2S, smokes are Siemens HFP-11.
cl94
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:31 pm

McDonald's (2058 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY) This is a recently-rebuilt/renovated location with some devices I have never seen in the wild.

NAs: Autocall TrueAlert horn/strobes. Yes, I said Autocall.
Pulls: Autocall A4099-9006 dual-action IDNet T-bars
Smokes: Autocall TrueAlarms
Annunciator: Red Autocall A4606-series annunciator in vestibule.
Chase Reinhardt
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:18 pm

CO-OP in Airdrie (Sierra Springs neighborhood) has a Mircom FX-2000 system, with RARE Mircom FHS-400-RR LED horn/strobes! Pulls are Mircom MS-401.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:48 pm

Advocate Condell Medical Center has a MASSIVE Siemens MXLV paired up with a smaller but still very large XLS. All alarms in the main buildings are Siemens S-LP70-MCS speaker/strobes and some Siemens U-MCS strobes scattered about, notably in the bathrooms and in stairwells. One SET-MC-R has replaced an S-LP70 near the Starbucks. Pulls are Siemens HMS-S and smoke detecters are all FirePrint FP-11s.

In the new section with the XLS, most alarms consist of SET-MC-Rs and SET-Rs. ZR-MC-Rs are found in bathrooms and several other areas, although in these areas (excluding bathrooms) there is a speaker/strobe nearby... The hall that links the buildings together has SET-MC-CRs and SET-CRs, although one of the speaker/strobes oddly had no lettering on either side. All pulls are Siemens HMS-D and smokes are the same as the other building— being FirePrints.

NOTE: ceiling speaker/strobes can be found in some areas in the new building.

Outdoor alarms consist of either Siemens ST-75-R-WPs with a bell underneath or SET-S17-R-WPs.
lgbt rights!
Chase Reinhardt
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:35 pm

The Home Depot in the Capitol Hill neighboorhood has a Mircom FX-2000 system, with mainly Mircom FHS-240R horn/strobes on the ceiling. Above the entrance doors inside, there is a Mircom FHS-340R horn/strobe. Pulls are Mircom MS-401, one is mounted REALLY low, at like 3 feet above the floor!
EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: EpicFireAlarms
Instagram: epic_fire_alarms

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:49 am

Part 1 (of 2) of stuff from my Washington DC trip:

Terminal A at Washington Reagan National Airport has a Cerberus Pyrotronics system with a mixture of Siemens MS-51 and MS-501 pull stations, along with Siemens S-LP-series speaker/strobes. The security checkpoint has Wheelock E-50s.

The US Capitol Visitor Center has some sort of Notifier or FCI system with a mixture of Wheelock E-50,60, and 70-series speakers and speaker/strobes. Pull stations are mostly FCI MS-2's, but I think there were some BG-12LX's as well.

The actual US Capitol, which may or may not be on the same system as the visitor center, has what I'm going to assume is probably an FCI system with a mixture of Federal Signal DirecTone speakers and Wheelock E-70s. A lot of DirecTones are paired with an RSS strobe. Pulls are mostly FCI MS-2's.

The Library of Congress has either an FCI or Siemens system with a bunch of different devices. Most of the pull stations are FCI MS-2's, paired with Simplex LifeAlarm speakers on Wheelock RSSP strobe plates. A few RSSP strobe plates have E-70 speakers instead. There are also some Wheelock E-70s and E-50s scattered around. I think I also saw a few Siemens MS-501 pull stations, but I'm not totally sure.

The Smithsonian Museum of American History has a Siemens system with silver Wheelock E-70s and E-90s. Some areas have red Siemens ZR strobes, and a few areas have red Wheelock E-50s and 60s. Pulls, if I saw any, were surely Siemens MS-501's.

The Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian also has a Siemens system, with Siemens S-LP speaker/strobes. Some areas have E-70s or E-50s. Pulls are, as I recall, a mixture of Siemens MS-51's and MS-501's.

The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History has a pretty crazy system. The main exhibit hall has dual-mounted DirecTone speakers with -VALS strobes on them, but most other exhibit halls have a mixture of Siemens S-LP speakers and speaker/strobes or Wheelock E-50/60/70 speakers and speaker/strobes. I'm sure there's some other stuff too, but I didn't have a chance to see much of the museum.

My hotel, for a change, has a Simplex 4100U voice-evac system with Simplex TrueAlert speaker/strobes throughout the public areas and TrueAlert speakers in the rooms. Pulls were all Simplex 4099-9006 or similar dual-action pull stations.

Chicago-Midway International Airport, where we had a layover, is undergoing renovations, and while the EST voice-evac system with the integrity-series ceiling-mounted speakers is still largely intact, I noticed a few Wheelock Exceder horn/strobes (red and clearly marked as a fire alarm) throughout the concourse. Makes me wonder if the remodeled terminal will have horn/strobes as opposed to voice-evac, or if the Exceders are just temporary.
Chase Reinhardt
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:39 pm

Nakiska Ski Resort has two lodges.

The Nakiska Daylodge has an Edwards Custom 6500 system, with Edwards 881ALD-AW/881D-AW horns. Pulls are Edwards 274-111, smokes are Edwards EDW1451A.

Mid-Mountain Lodge has a Mircom FA-1000 system replacing an Edwards 2280 (the FA-1000 is in the 2280's cabinet), with Edwards 439D-6AWC bells. Pulls are a mix of Edwards 274-111 and Edwards 275-C111, smokes are unknown, heat detectors are Edwards 280B-PL.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:25 pm

Regal L*********** has a Simplex 4003 Voice Communication System. All alarms are Simplex horizontal speaker/strobes that emit a low buzzing sound which can be heard clearly within 10 feet of the NA, especially in the bathroom and the theatres themselves! Pulls are Simplex 2099-9795s and smokes if any were 2098-9201s.
lgbt rights!
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:55 pm

Uncle Dans have a Simplex 4010 system with Simplex TrueAlerts, unlabelled strobes in fitting rooms and 4099-9001 pulls. However bathrooms have Wheelock non-ADA MTs INSIDE THE STALL ABOVE THE TOILET. Yea okay
lgbt rights!