Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Nite N' Dale has an unknown system with 2 Gentex Commander 3 horn/strobes covering both seating areas respectively. The FIRE lettering for the alarms is mounted upside down while the NA itself is installed rightside up, which is very strange. Bathrooms have a ceiling mount SpectrAlert horn/strobe RIGHT above the stalls, and considering that the room is very compact it would be extremely loud, unless the horn is turned off. Smokes are WSD-355s by the entrance and SD-355s everywhere else. Pull stations are...... Bulldog Security BG-12s. I'm not sure if the smoke detectors and signals are rebranded too since the atmosphere is dim but from the Bulldog Security website the system is probably rebranded by them. I'm guessing its manufactured by Silent Knight or possibly Fire-Lite.
blm // he/him
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: randomperson Fire Alarms

Newton-Wellesley Hospital - Newton, MA

Green Medical Office Building:
Pull stations: Notifier NBG-12LX's
Detectors: FSP-851's on newer bases
Signals: SpectrAlert Advance speaker/strobes

Blue Medical Office Building:
Same initiating devices as before
Signals: L-Series horn/strobes

Main Hospital:
Same initiating devices as before, except that the FSP-851's are on the older bases
Signals: Wheelock E70 speaker/strobes

White Medical Office Building
Panel: Notifier NFS2-640
Pull stations: BGX-101L's
Detectors: SDX-551's
Signals: Faraday 6140 (high-volume version of a 6120) horns on SAE A32 strobe plates.
That's right - high-volume mechanical horns in a hospital.

East Parking Garage:
Pull stations: Protectowire BG-50's
Signals: Gentex SHG (and a few Wheelock MT-24-WM) horn/strobes
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017. he/him

YouTube | Twitter | Facebook
Email: everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

So is the 6140 the Faraday version of the 9846?
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: randomperson Fire Alarms

Simplex 4051 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:19 pm So is the 6140 the Faraday version of the 9846?
Yes.
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017. he/him

YouTube | Twitter | Facebook
Email: everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Didn't even know there was a version of that alarm rebranded by Faraday. You learn something new every day. :D
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
EdwardsFan
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician
YouTube Username: Mircomfan

High volume horns in a hospital, doesn't seem too bad, must give people a jump though! The one hospital we service has the EST Genesis horns all over the place, all run by an EST quickstart, which replaced an Edwards 8500 2 stage system (that had single stroke bells/chimes).
randomperson wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:40 pm
Signals: Faraday 6140 (high-volume version of a 6120) horns on SAE A32 strobe plates.
That's right - high-volume mechanical horns in a hospital.
"Never forget your history, Nor your destiny." - Bob Marley
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

I could never imagine horns in a hospital because if they go off and a patient has a weak heart well then they are done for. Also if there are doctors operating at the time, if they get caught off-guard, they could nick a major artery and that patient is also finished.
firedriller
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Standard doctor building
I think a good old-fashioned fire drill today- Mr Burns
Welcome to hogwarts- alarm panel
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

If it is a standard office instead of a surgery than I could see it having horns. My doctor when I was a kid was in two offices with the first one having TrueAlerts and the second one having Wheelock ASs.
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Horns and Strobes

The local middle school has a really rare Edwards system. The signals are Edwards 892 horn/strobes in most areas. Pull stations are 270-SPOs and the panel is unknown. They also have adpatabells for class change. Also worth mentioning is the StRaNgE system at the Franklin square Shopping center. Most of the place is Radionics, Advances, and many many keypads. The Best Buy changes the aspect of the entire place. I walked inside expecting to find Advances and a Bosch T bar but guess what I saw? A EDWARDS 278-B AND A EDWARDS GENESIS HORN/STROBE. I was very happy but..... Half of the devices were falling out of their trim plates! :( Not the best but the bathroom alarm was close to hanging. Very cool though.
not really active anymore
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Henry Ford Hospital (Detroit) - This post covers select areas of the following buildings/wings: Main Building (1921); Clara Ford Pavilion (1925); Clinic Building (1955); Benson Ford Education and Research Building (1977); and West Pavilion (circa 1990s).

Panel:
>Simplex 4120 voice-evac panel in the West Pavilion

Detectors:
>Gentex 9003-series photoelectric detectors above elevator doors
>Simplex 4098-series (TrueAlarm) addressable photoelectric detectors
>Simplex 2908-9201 photoelectric detectors

Pull stations:
>Simplex 2099-series single-action pull stations (a mix of older and newer models)
>One Simplex 4251-21L "LOCAL FIRE ALARM" t-bar inside the Main Building

Notification appliances:
>Simplex 4903-series speakers on Simplex 4903-9105 strobe plates in the Clinic Building
>Simplex 4903-series speaker/strobes in the West Pavilion and Benson Ford areas
>Simplex 4903-9196 (TrueAlert) speaker/strobes (white)
>Simplex 4906-series (TrueAlert) speaker/strobes
>Simplex 4906-series (TrueAlert) strobes
>One Veeder-Root Overfill Alarm system in an outdoor area of the West Pavilion, next to a door (viewable in Google Street View)
>One Wheelock ET70-series speaker/strobe in a greenhouse dining area
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital (West Bloomfield Township) - First opened in 2009, this hospital was built around what was originally an outpatient center that opened in 1975, according to Henry Ford Health System's history section for Henry Ford Hospital. There have been three systems over the course of the outpatient center alone.

Panels/annunciators:
>I don't know what the first two systems used for panels, but the current system is most likely an addressable Simplex 4003 or Simplex 4100-series model based on a couple of the tones; whenever there is a public address announcement, a short tone blast (doesn't always play) followed by one chime will be heard, with a spoken message that follows. I have never experienced this system in alarm.

Detectors:
>Simplex TrueAlarm-series photoelectric detectors

Pull stations:
>Simplex 2099-9754 pull stations
>Some locations had Simplex 2099-9799 break-glass pull stations; in some cases, the glass was broken long ago and only the metal hammer was left intact.
>According to a rectangular metal plate near the south entrance, there most likely was a National Time 641 device there, based on a silver grille directly over it leftover from the original system (see below).

Notification appliances:
>In the same area of the former National Time 641 device, there is a silver grille with horizontal slats that closely resembles what National Time would have used for bells and horns in flush-mount installations. The actual housing was empty, however. I don't know what the components were from the second system, but there are numerous square metal plates throughout the original outpatient building where there used to be devices.
>One Gentex Commander 3 horn/strobe in the basement that acts as an agent device.
>Simplex 4906-series (TrueAlert) speaker/strobes
>Simplex 4906-series (TrueAlert) strobes
>White, ceiling-mount Simplex 4906-series speaker/strobes
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Horns and Strobes

Concord Mills Shopping Mall has a Siemens Fire Alarm System.
MALL SYSTEM:
PANEL:
Unknown but I guess a Firefinder or another Siemens Panel.

PULL STATIONS AND SMOKES:
None spotted. Smokes scattered about the place

NOTIFICATION APPLIANCES:
Siemens U-MHT-S17 Horn/strobes every 10 to 13 feet on the wall.
Siemens Rebranded RSS strobes in the mall restrooms.

STORE SYSTEMS:
Dave and Buster's
PANEL: Unknown. I guess a Fire-Lite with a Safepath
Pulls and Smokes: No pulls seen. Fire Lite Smokes every now and then on the beams
NOTIFICATION APPLIANCES: Ceiling Mount Wheelock red Speaker strobes on the beams.
Best Buy:
PANEL: Fire-Lite of sorts
Pulls and smokes: BG-12 by entrance door
NAs are Advances.
FireHouse Subs:
Wheelock RSS strobes.
LEGO store:
Panel: Fire-Lite or SK.
Initiating devices.2 Fire Lite Smokes located inside.
NAs are Gentex Commander 2s and respective remote strobes
(There is also a Edwards "Mini horn/strobe" located above the staff only door.
not really active anymore
johnrobert1
New Participant
New Participant
YouTube Username: John L Robert

Here are the systems at my college and elementary school.
Elementary School: Built in 1991, has a simplex 4100 with voice evacuation (Didn’t play a message, just the slow whoop) and signals are simplex 2902-9739 speakers on 4903-9101 strobe plates with the t-bar pull stations
They used to have an annunciations that looked sort of life a 4002 panel, but they got a new one around 2009. Dont remember any of the smoke or heat detectors.
College: Two of the buildings have old simplex systems. The library has a simplex 4001 with a 2903 plate and a 2901-9838 horn with 4251-20 pull stations and a 4903 remote strobe.
The other building with an old simplex system, has the performing arts program, along with offices and classrooms, has a 4002 panel with 4251-20’s and 2903 visual signals (Don’t know if they are strobes or lights with 2901-9838’s. Will figure out the other systems at a later time.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

It must have been really interesting to be in an elementary school that had speaker/strobes then going to a middle school that had horn/strobes and being completely shocked that fire drills aren't as inaudible as you thought. XD