Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

I'm pretty sure that it is a standard guideline that anywhere you have a group of elderly people living and staying for long periods of time that might possibly have heart problems that it probably is a BAD idea to place loud horns in the facility. Though one of SAFETECH's videos on YouTube was at a retirement center and while most of the alarms were chimes, there was one 9833 horn on a 2901 light plate.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Horns and Strobes

Forestview High School:

PANEL:
CURRENT: An EST quickstart
ORIGINAL: Some sort of Cerberus Pyrotronics panel

INITIATING DEVICES:
CURRENT: EST/GE 278-Bs and EST SIGA-ISs near fire doors
ORIGINAL: Cerberus Pyrotronics devices

SIGNALING DEVICES:
Cerberus Pyrotronics EH-S17-Fs
Cerberus Pyrotronics S75-Fs in restrooms
Some CP branded MTs are scattered around the halls
not really active anymore
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

At Target, the alarms weren't sounding, however their strobes were going off for the whole time we were there. Apparently the system was acting up. I've mentioned this place before but to any confusion I'll reiterate the devices.

System Sensor L-Series PC2WLs and SCWL strobes scattered around in the main areas.
System Sensor SWLs in bathrooms.
Pulls are BG-12s though forgot what they were branded. Most likely Fire-Lite or Bosch.

This is the first time I've ever been in a building that isn't a school where the system was in alarm (or at least half-alarm)
blm // he/him
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

I was in a few buildings that weren't school where the system was going off but I wasn't in any recently.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: randomperson Fire Alarms

65 Walnut Street - Wellesley, MA
Panel: Fire-Lite addressable system, probably an MS-9200UDLS
Pull stations: BG-12LX's
Detectors: SD-355's
Signals: Wheelock NS horn/strobes that appear to be replacing SAE horn/lights
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017.

YouTube
Email: everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

To be honest, with the size of the plate that the NS is mounted on it could also have been a 2901 or 4901 light/strobe plate since it is about the same size as an SAE light plate so you can't rule that out.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:37 pm To be honest, with the size of the plate that the NS is mounted on it could also have been a 2901 or 4901 light/strobe plate since it is about the same size as an SAE light plate so you can't rule that out.
It's on an SAE backbox.
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017.

YouTube
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Oh there are ways to tell which company makes a certain backbox? I dod not know that.
EdwardsFan
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician
YouTube Username: Mircomfan

randomperson wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:30 am I was there in 2016...
All the Honeywell stuff is accurate, ranging from FS90's (possibly even older, I don't know much about 1980's Honeywell panels) to rebranded EST and Notifier systems.
There are also some Johnson Controls-branded Notifier systems.
The Cabana Bay Beach Resort hotel has an "official" Notifier system. (not rebranded)
All of their newer systems are, in essence, Notifier.
It wouldn't surprise me if some Simplex systems appear sooner than later, because there's some Johnson Controls stuff.

Also, I know the inevitable "Did you also go to Disney? If so, what are their fire alarms?" question is coming, so I'm going to answer it.
Yes, I went to Walt Disney World every year from 2010-2016. Their fire alarm systems are mostly Siemens/Cerberus Pyrotronics (often with Gentex signals, interestingly enough), although there is some EST, and even a Simplex system.
For voice systems, the messages are the manufacturer's defaults. (You'd think Disney, of all places, would use custom, themed messages, but apparently not...)
I know this because not only are there videos, I even heard one of their systems go off in person!
I wasn't going to, as I went to disney also :lol: Yeah, I remember seeing the EST speaker/Strobes in Toy Story Land. I thought they may have been Integrities but knowing the rest of the park was Speakers, I knew they weren't. In the new Star Wars section they just built, is an EST system with 'Genesis' speaker/strobes and EST 278s.
"Never forget your history, Nor your destiny." - Bob Marley
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

EdwardsFan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:52 pm
randomperson wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:30 am Also, I know the inevitable "Did you also go to Disney? If so, what are their fire alarms?" question is coming, so I'm going to answer it.
Yes, I went to Walt Disney World every year from 2010-2016. Their fire alarm systems are mostly Siemens/Cerberus Pyrotronics (often with Gentex signals, interestingly enough), although there is some EST, and even a Simplex system.
For voice systems, the messages are the manufacturer's defaults. (You'd think Disney, of all places, would use custom, themed messages, but apparently not...)
I know this because not only are there videos, I even heard one of their systems go off in person!
I wasn't going to, as I went to disney also :lol: Yeah, I remember seeing the EST speaker/Strobes in Toy Story Land. I thought they may have been Integrities but knowing the rest of the park was Speakers, I knew they weren't. In the new Star Wars section they just built, is an EST system with 'Genesis' speaker/strobes and EST 278s.
How do you know that the pull stations are 278's?
I thought all of the pulls at Disney World have glass-break Stoppers that hide the pull station...

YouTube
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Another system with Wheelock 7002Ts gone! The former Toys R' Us location here in Brockton MA (near the Westgate Mall) was built some time in the mid-1980s with some kind of Fire-Lite system (probably a Sensiscan-series system), with 7002T horn/strobes and BG-6 pull stations. Some time in the 1990s or early 2000s, a Fire-Lite MS-4424B panel replaced whatever the old panel was. During the previous decade, a Wheelock 7002T that failed was replaced with a Wheelock Exceder HSR horn/strobe, and one of the BG-6s was replaced with a Fire-Lite BG-12 pull.
Well, after Toys R' Us closed and it became an Ocean State Job Lot last year, the fire alarm system was upgraded to a more modern addressable Fire-Lite system. I didn't see the main panel, as where the MS-4424B was they replaced it with a Fire-Lite ANN-80 annunciator, so its's probably an MS-9600(UD)LS system. All the alarm signals I saw were System Sensor PC2RL horn/strobes (the ceiling-mount L-series ones), and the pulls are Fire-Lite BG-12LXs. A fairly typical direct Fire-Lite upgrade around here.
Ironically, the old Ocean State Job Lot that will soon be closing and moving everyone to the new location still has an older Fire-Lite Sensiscan system from the 80s with Wheelock 7002Ts as well, but the pulls are Fire-Lite BG-10s.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Newton-Wellesley Hospital - North Wing - Newton, MA
Pull stations: Notifier NBG-12LX's
Detectors: FSP-851's
Signals: SpectrAlert Classic speaker/strobes

Newton-Wellesley Hospital - Surgical Center - Newton, MA
Panel: Notifier NFS2-3030 (there's an NCA-2 annunciator and an RM-1 microphone in a cabinet near the reception desk)
Pull stations: BGX-101L's
Detectors: SDX-551's and a few FSP-751's and FSP-851's
Signals: Wheelock ET-1070-LSM-24-VFR speaker/strobes and some E70's in the lobby.

The easiest way to tell if a Wheelock strobe is an LSM (unsynced) or SLM (synced, which is what my school has) is to look for the candela sticker, if it has an "S" below the number, it's an SLM, otherwise, it's an LSM.

YouTube
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

What exactly does "LSM" and "SLM" mean anyway? I mean what do the letters stand for?
maxshaw
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: max shaw

I was gonna post this with pictures, but since everything's closed right now I've been unable to get any... A local restaurant that was built in the '70s still has its original Simplex system with two 4050/4051's on 4050-80 light plates (w/o "fire" lettering). There are also three 4251-30 break glass pull stations and several System Sensor heat detectors. I don't know much about Simplex's product timeline, but what kind of panel might be installed if this was put in during the '70s?
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

maxshaw wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:28 pm I was gonna post this with pictures, but since everything's closed right now I've been unable to get any... A local restaurant that was built in the '70s still has its original Simplex system with two 4050/4051's on 4050-80 light plates (w/o "fire" lettering). There are also three 4251-30 break glass pull stations and several System Sensor heat detectors. I don't know much about Simplex's product timeline, but what kind of panel might be installed if this was put in during the '70s?
Probably a 4208, 4207, or maybe a 2001.

YouTube