Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
RSSAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: RSS alarms

Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:17 pm

There’s a primary school in my town that was built in 2012 with a 4010es and simplex 4906-9129’s and 4906-9103 strobes and simplex addressable detectors. There are also a couple of 4906-9132 outdoor horn strobes located on certain areas of the building. I did not attend this school, but I have been there a couple of times.
RSSAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: RSS alarms

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:29 pm

the system at my high school currently is an EST 3 voice evac system installed in the summer of 2016 replacing 2 notifier panels, an AFP-200 and possibly an AFP-400 or an ONYX 640 (I'll have to dig more deeper) notifier bgx-101l's and sdx-551s and Wheelock ehs-el1's, in 2005, the school added the ONYX 640 or whatever when they built a new expansion, building a new library and more classes. the new expansion consists of notifier fsp-851 detectors, nbg-12lx pulls and SpectrAlert horn strobes. now this system existed before I went to high school, the replacement of the system occured during the summer of 2016 (the same summer when I first started my channel). the old panels and devices were removed and the school district decided to use EST devices instead of another notifier or simplex system. the panel was installed and EST ceiling mount horn strobes were installed throughout the building with a few wall mount devices. it seems that the school district is now using EST as their preferred fire alarm system brand in their newer schools.
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:52 pm

RSSAlarms wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:29 pm
the system at my high school currently is an EST 3 voice evac system installed in the summer of 2016 replacing 2 notifier panels, an AFP-200 and possibly an AFP-400 or an ONYX 640 (I'll have to dig more deeper) notifier bgx-101l's and sdx-551s and Wheelock ehs-el1's, in 2005, the school added the ONYX 640 or whatever when they built a new expansion, building a new library and more classes. the new expansion consists of notifier fsp-851 detectors, nbg-12lx pulls and SpectrAlert horn strobes. now this system existed before I went to high school, the replacement of the system occured during the summer of 2016 (the same summer when I first started my channel). the old panels and devices were removed and the school district decided to use EST devices instead of another notifier or simplex system. the panel was installed and EST ceiling mount horn strobes were installed throughout the building with a few wall mount devices. it seems that the school district is now using EST as their preferred fire alarm system brand in their newer schools.
They should've stuck with Notifier or Simplex, IMO...

Speaking of schools, due to us moving to a new house last December, my voting location has changed. I now vote at an elementary school fairly close to our current home. The school was built in 1965 and still has its' old Gamewell FlexAlarm system in use; the panel is located in the main office. The alarms I saw were old-style Federal Signal Vibratone 450 horns, and the pulls are old Gamewell Centuries. I think there may still be some old Chemtronics 500-series heat sensors around, but some others got replaced with System Sensor 2400 smoke detectors. The school bells are Stromberg, with M18070A 6" bells flush-mounted behind grilles on the inside, and 10" bells with protective covers over them on the outside. The school also has a modular building with its' own small EST system consisting of Wheelock MT-24-LSM horn/strobes, RSG T-bar pulls and ESL smoke detectors, along with an Edwards 6" Adaptabel for the school bell.
Apart from the System Sensor smoke detectors and the school bells, this is pretty much the exact same setup my second elementary school had, and still does to this day. I know another school in Brockton MA that used to have a Gamewell system like this too, before it was replaced in 2009 with a Notifier NFS2-640 voice-evac system. (And it may not be long before my school has their system replaced, too.)
Chase Reinhardt
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: Firealarm237
Instagram: albertafirealarms

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Shaganappi Village Shopping Centre has an EST FireShield (panel located in Wicker Land), with the main signal EST G1R-HDVM horn/strobes. The Goodwill has a G1R-HDVM horn/strobe on the ceiling, and it also has a Wheelock MB-G6-24 on the left side of the store, I'm not sure why it's there, it might be disconnected or it rings with the horn/strobes. The Matador Pizza and Steakhouse has an Edwards 439D-6AWC bell. Pulls are mostly Edwards 270-SPO, but one of the pulls in Goodwill is a Notifier MPS-950B, and the Matador has an Edwards 274-111, smokes are unknown.

Sport Chek in Crowfoot Crossing in a 3 large-store plaza has a Mircom FX-2000 system possibly, with System Sensor P2R horn/strobes. Pulls are Mircom MS-401.
53zamar17

Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a new Super in an old multi-storey building, not well familiar with fire alarm systems. Each suite in the building has a Mircom non-silenceable mini horn MH-24W similar to this. I found some tenants disconnected them saying they are very noisy, and can't be silenced by a tenant. Each suite seems to have a separate in-and-out wire set the mini- horn is hooked to, unless all mini horns are hooked in parallel to the same wire set, but other fire alarm system wires are also running through the same box in each suite - in this case what they are for?

How I can find what suites have the fire horn disconnected? Is annual alarm test run by a fire tech the only way to find it out?
EdwardsFan
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician
YouTube Username: Mircomfan

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:18 pm

53zamar17 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:33 pm
Hi guys,

I'm a new Super in an old multi-storey building, not well familiar with fire alarm systems. Each suite in the building has a Mircom non-silenceable mini horn MH-24W similar to this. I found some tenants disconnected them saying they are very noisy, and can't be silenced by a tenant. Each suite seems to have a separate in-and-out wire set the mini- horn is hooked to, unless all mini horns are hooked in parallel to the same wire set, but other fire alarm system wires are also running through the same box in each suite - in this case what they are for?

How I can find what suites have the fire horn disconnected? Is annual alarm test run by a fire tech the only way to find it out?
If they are disconnected and are wired right, the fire panel should be showing a fair bit of troubles. I would recommend calling whoever services your system and they would be able to help you out. Note that only someone who has been trained and has a license should be working or touching anything on the system. Anyone else who tampers with it can potentially be fined thousands of dollars if the fire inspector made a surprise visit (and they do often).
"Never forget your history, Nor your destiny." - Bob Marley
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:14 pm

Updated recap of the Westgate Mall in Brockton, MA, not counting the anchors stores:
The mall currently has a Notifier NFS(2)-3030 system, presumably replacing a Notifier AM-2020 system judging by all the 90s Notifier devices still in use in the main mall concourse and a few stores. Just recently they installed a new NCA-2 annunciator in the entrance vestibule that the existing 90s graphic annunciator, the Gamewell master box and the door to the main fire panel is located. I guess they wanted to have an LCD annunciator handy as well. All alarm signals do Code-3, to my knowledge.
The main concourse mostly has Wheelock MT-24-LSM horn/strobes set on Code-3 horn. Next to one fire exit is a Wheelock MT-24-MCW, most likely installed when the former Macy's was put in (currently being remodeled into a Planet Fitness and a Burlington.) The main mall office has Wheelock Exceder horn/strobes. Other stores (non-anchor) have varying alarm signals from the 90s to the present, including Wheelock MT-24-LSMs, AS horn/strobes, Exceder horn/strobes, System Sensor SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes, and a few newly-remodeled stores have the new System Sensor L-series horn/strobes! There's also a watch store that has Gentex Commander horn/strobes, and a food counter that has a Wheelock NS horn/strobe in its' back room (I heard it go off once) and an RSS strobe in the kitchen, and some stores/restaurants even have EST Genesis horn/strobes! (Given how the mall has stuck with Notifier since the 90s, I presume when those stores were remodeled they had a service company that distributed both EST and Notifier products.) In the Popeye's Fried Chicken restaurant, a Genesis remote strobe that was damaged got replaced with a Wheelock Exceder LED remote strobe. The restrooms have Wheelock RSS remote strobes.
The concourse still has a bunch of Notifier BGX-101L pulls (their addressable version of the BG-10). A few have since been replaced with NBG-12LXs, and many of them have had Stopper II covers installed over them over the years. The stores and other remodeled areas, along with under the Wheelock MT-24-MCW, have NBG-12LX pulls.
The concourse has a bunch of FSP-751 smoke detectors. A few were replaced with FSP-851 detectors. Many stores also have FSP-751 smoke detectors; any post-2012 installations have them on the newer conical-shaped base. Some stores have System Sensor 2400-series smoke detectors.

The Chapel of Our Savior church near the mall was originally built in 1961 with an old Edwards fire alarm system, with 6" bells with red "FIRE BELL" label. The pulls were Edwards 270-SPOs, and there were also whatever Edwards called the Chemtronics 500-series heat sensors back then.
It appears some time during the last decade, they had a fire alarm upgrade of sorts; the Edwards bells were replaced with Wheelock ZNS horn/strobes, and the old heat sensors also got replaced; in the main lobby there's a System Sensor i3 smoke detector, and in another room I saw System Sensor 5601 heat sensors. The old Edwards pulls are still intact.

The Party City in Avon, MA has relocated to a somewhat bigger space. The strip mall complex it's now part of presumably already had a Fire-Lite system installed, but when Party City moved there, they put new fire alarm devices in the space as well. The alarms are red System Sensor L-series horn/strobes, with wall and ceiling-mount versions in the appropriate areas. At the main entrance there's a Fire-Lite BG-12 pull.
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Eton Senior Center (Dearborn Heights) - Formerly known as Eton Elementary School, this building opened in 1959, and still contains some vintage devices!

Panel/annunciators/detectors: Unknown

Pull stations:
>Edwards 270-SPO models with the Edwards shield logo and glass rod.

Notification appliances:
>2nd-generation System Sensor SpectrAlert horn/strobes, all of which are mounted on red backplates where the original fire alarms were.
>This building still has vibrating bells! They're all Honeywell 6" models inside, with the serial tags reading "Minneapolis-Honeywell Regulator Company". I couldn't get a model number because it was too small for me to read from a distance (and to not arouse any suspicion, as there was a flea market going on during my visit). All the indoor bells are surface-mounted next to the SpectrAlerts. Interestingly enough, there is an original Honeywell clock system still in operation, and is likely tied into the bell system.
>Outside, there are 8" or 10" bells behind grilles. I couldn't determine the make/model, but presumably, they're from Honeywell also.
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Huron Valley Lutheran High School (Westland) - Formerly known as McKee Elementary School (according to old topography maps), this building most likely dates to the late 50s or early 60s. There are still some vintage devices here when I visited for a rummage sale.

Panel/annunciator/detectors: Unknown

Pull stations:
>The original building has National Time 620M devices installed. Interestingly, this was my first time seeing glass rods on these, which I didn't know until now was a feature.
>The fieldhouse addition (circa 2005, according to online pictures and aerial imagery) has National Time 541-series devices (rebranded Sigcom t-bars) installed with plastic protective covers.

Notification appliances:
>The original alarms consist of National Time 411F horns.
>The alarms in the fieldhouse area and the corridor towards the fieldhouse contain rebranded (by National Time) Gentex Commander 3 or 4-series horn/strobes.
>National Time P806 bells (and P810 models outside, with protective grilles) serve as the general signaling bells for the building.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Instagram: randomperson_firealarms

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Star Market - Waltham, MA
Panel: Some sort of Bosch system, judging by the annunciator
Pull stations: FMM-7045's
Signals: SpectrAlert Classic horn/strobes
Chase Reinhardt
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: Firealarm237
Instagram: albertafirealarms

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:00 am

CF Market Mall has a two-stage EST3 system (panels installed in 2004, in the 2004 expansion, possibly replacing an Edwards 6500), with the main signal EST 757-7A-TW horn/strobes and EST 757-1A-TW horns in the hallway, on the ceiling with LKW-1 lenses (wall FIRE orientation) in the pattern of horn, horn/strobe, horn, horn/strobe. The stores have the horn/strobes previously mentioned, mounted either on the ceiling or wall, but some are the red variants (757-7A-T), again, all with LKW-1 lenses. The Toys 'R' Us in the mall has Edwards 882-2B horns, installed in 1988 expansion. The Safeway there has System Sensor P1224MC horn/strobes. Outdoor signals are an EST 757-1A-T horn beside a sprinkler bell on one side of the building, some sheltered areas have EST 757-7A-T horn/strobes, a System Sensor P1224MCK can be found outside the Safeway, and the rest of the outdoor signals are EST CS405-7A-T strobes. Pulls are EST SIGA-270P, some with their EST/GE variants, and EST 270-GAO near and in the Toys "R" Us. The Safeway has Grinnell-rebranded Notifier MPS-950B. Smokes are EST SIGA-PS, some EST/GE variants, and EST SIGA2-PS in the Sport Chek and some where the SIGA-PS smokes quit.

The alarm went off today, and the integrities are set to high volume code 3, and the SpectrAlerts are set to electromechanical continuous horn, the first stage pulses all horns for 4/5 seconds, then off for 3 seconds, and in second stage, the Integrities do code 3, and the SpectrAlerts do continuous, and I'm not sure what the older Edwards horns do, but I'm sure they do continuous. For some reason, the Integrities sometimes went from code 3 (continuous) to 120 bpm march time and then back to code 3 (continuous), then to march time. All strobes are synchronized. The panel also silences all horns, but keeps the strobes flashing when the mic is on and pages to the mall's PA speakers.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:07 am

I would have loved to hear how the Edwards Adaptahorns sounded.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:21 pm

Alright guys, big report.

Kids in Action, located in the FrattFro Zone building probably has some sort of Siemens/CP MXL system. All alarms are Siemens AS-MC-Rs and all pulls are regular Siemens MS-501s. Smokes are probably Siemens PE-11s.

Battle House in the same building is connected to the MXL or tied in with another system. Signals are System Sensor SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes with remote strobes in the bathrooms. There is one ceiling mounted horn/strobe. Pulls are Siemens “braille?” HMS-Ses.

The Onion Pub/Brewery has a Notifier AFP-100 (panel at the entrance). Signals are Wheelock ASes and pulls are NBG-12s. There are a few FSP-851s.

TreeTime probably has the same panel even though it’s warehouse size. The Wheelock AS horn/strobes and System Sensor 2400 smokes are 1/4th of the entire building. Pulls are Notifier NBG-12s.
lgbt rights!
53zamar17

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:12 pm

EdwardsFan wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:18 pm
If they are disconnected and are wired right, the fire panel should be showing a fair bit of troubles.
Hi Edward,
Our building uses MH-24W mini horns like the ones attached. Now Mircom makes a newer model, which can be paired with CNSIS-204 signal isolator module.

Could you explain some details of their wiring diagram? How exactly the mini horn, signal isolator, panel work together? Why wires in the unit boxes are twisted pair, actually dual wires hooked to each mini horn contact (see typical suite box pics)?

What happens, if a tenant simply bypasses the mini horn and hooks together in and out wires? Can the missing mini horn be identified on the panel, and how? If yes, why annual fire alarm check is needed in each suite?
Attachments
Alarm3.jpg
Alarm3.jpg (159.27 KiB) Viewed 885 times
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:06 pm

United States Postal Service - Greenmead Branch (Livonia)

Annunciators/panels/detectors: Unknown

Pull stations:
>The original pull stations are National Time 641 models.
>One National Time 540-series t-bar (rebranded from Sigcom) replaced a broken 641 at one entrance.

Notification appliances:
>The original NAs are Wheelock 7002T-24 horn/strobes on trim plates, rebranded by National Time.
>In the same area with the National Time 540-series t-bar, a Gentex Commander 3/4-series horn/strobe (National Time rebrand) replaced a broken 7002T-24.