Should classrooms have smoke detectors?

The schools I’ve gone to didn’t have them. Sure there are pull stations, but what if a fre started in the classroom when the teacher was at lunch? No one would be there to pull the fire alarm.

If there was a fire, the sprinklers would activate.

Assuming it has sprinklers. I’ve seen plenty of rooms, in schools or otherwise that have not had smokes. Its not that unusual. There are many structures that were built throughout the years and throughout many code changes and improvements.

It depended on the school. None of the schools I went to for public school had smoke detectors (although in kindergarten, the school I attended had duct detectors; high school had elevator recall smoke detectors) but we did have heat sensors, except my middle school, which had such an old fire alarm system there were no heat sensors even! (There was also only one sprinkler I found, in an electrical closet.) They did have at least one heat detector in the classroom pods at the school I went to for kindergarten, though.

At Bridgewater State University, some classrooms do have smoke detectors in them, depending on the building. Hart/Burnell Hall always had smoke detectors in their classrooms (originally they were older Adaemco detectors, but some classrooms were renovated and had addressable Simplex TrueAlarms installed.) Other buildings mostly had detectors installed in the classrooms as a result of a fire alarm system upgrade (many of the buildings upgraded to Simplex fire alarm systems), but the Science Building has addressable heat sensors in the classrooms, while the rest of the building has smoke detectors.

The schools I went to did have smoke detectors, but they didn’t put them in the classrooms except for some of the electives, like the cooking class.

My schools didn’t have smoke detectors. The ones with sprinklers had no other detectors. The ones without sprinklers had heat detectors.

No schools in my city have a sprinkler system, but some of the classrooms do have either smoke or heat detectors.

No sprinklers? That doesn’t seem very safe.

My schools dont have sprinklers, smoke or heat detectors, and no pulls in the classrooms, only in the hallways.

University I went to had at least one smoke in every room.

The only rooms in my school that have smoke detectors in them are computer labs, and certain science labs/rooms. The rest of the building the sprinklers would cover. Also the only smoke detectors in the hallways are generally near the fire doors.

Any smoke detectors in the Livonia Public Schools district are pretty much restricted to the hallways, and the Foods Lab at Stevenson has one, I believe. I’m not really in favor of having smoke detectors in classrooms; even with outlets that could short circuit, it’s not like incidents such as these warrant for an installation; it’s more of a waste of money.

In my opinion, the only places smoke detectors should be are in rooms with high fire hazards, such as the kitchen, science labs, mechanical rooms, etc.

I disagree that smoke detectors should be in kitchens and science labs. In kitchens, sometimes there can be a little smoke/steam/etc that would be able to set of the smoke detectors on accident. Fire suppression systems in kitchens should be good enough to target any real dangerous fire threat. They are also less likely to go off for a false alarm. As for science labs, sometimes, in my experience, certain experiments have required (a controlled) fire which most of the time has outputted enough smoke to trigger a smoke detector. If science rooms have fire extinguishers, sprinklers, or even heat detectors, they should be good, but I think that smoke detectors would just get set off by accident too much.

On the other hand, I agree that smoke detectors should be in mechanical rooms, which, unlike the previous two mentioned, are usually unoccupied.

Kitchen spaces are usually protected by heat detectors. Protecting a building from fire and smoke is not a waste of money, so I don’t see where you are coming from that classrooms should not have detectors.