World Trade Center Fire Alarm System History

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
El Chupacabra
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:11 pm

RSSAlarms wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:25 pm
Does anybody what the alarms (notification appliances and initiating devices) are at wtc7, I already know it’s a firecom 8500 with a creepy voice evac tone
The NIST report claims that there is very little information available regarding WTC 7's fire alarm system; we can therefore only speculate about the types of devices that were in service in that building.

I don't know what kind of speakers, strobes, or smoke/heat detectors were used for this system, but there is a high probability that the pull stations and fire warden telephones were of the same model as the ones pictured below.

All photos are from past eBay auctions.
firefreak57
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: firefreak57

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:27 pm

RSSAlarms wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:25 pm
Does anybody what the alarms (notification appliances and initiating devices) are at wtc7, I already know it’s a firecom 8500 with a creepy voice evac tone
I think Building 6 had them too.

Also, doesn’t the new complex have a Firecom system (at least building one does)
The official account of firefreak57! Class of 2019.
Proud Owner of a Simplex 4004 Fire Alarm System
My YouTube Channel
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Instagram: randomperson_firealarms

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:27 pm

(I don't know what is going on with quotes)

(This is sourced from photos across the internet.)
1, 4, and 7 WTC and the Transportation Hub have Firecom systems.
1 WTC: Wheelock E50 and E60 speaker/strobes.
4 WTC and 7 WTC: Wheelock E70 speaker/strobes.
Transportation Hub: Wheelock E90 and E70 speaker/strobes.
Pull stations at all of these are the rebranded Sigcom SG32-series with the white stripe.

Not everything is Firecom, however.

9/11 Museum: EST system, SIGA-270's, Genesis speaker/strobes.
Cortlandt Street 1 station: Simplex system (probably a 4100ES judging by the annunciator - see the picture of this article), probably 2099-9138's, Wheelock RSS strobes and probably ceiling-mount E90 speakers.
I've been on TFP for 2 years!
Subscribe to me on YouTube!
My website
Need to contact me? Feel free to send a PM, or email everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
mmcphee
New User
New User

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 pm

I just checked online. The fire alarm system in the new World Trade Center is a Firecom system.
RJARRRPCGP
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: RJARRRPCGP

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:40 pm

Is that a Wheelock bell ringing in the background in the first video? (The same video that has the code #2 tone.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLqGRv7CQlc
LSSD_2002
New Participant
New Participant
YouTube Username: NCAlarms

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 pm

NewAgeServer wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:44 am
Fire lite or SK -- Don't even count on it . Those panels and systems were meant for small installations.

The only things that would be able to do the job is the largest systems offered by Simplex, Notifier, or Siemens.
Though it wasn't available at the time, nowadays, the Gamewell FCI E3 would be ideal as it is among the most efficient in terms of number of devices per panel offered by Honeywell.