fire drills conducted by teachers for their class.

I had a teacher in high school who did his own class fire drill for the class in order to practice for when the school fire drills will come. I saw a teacher in my elementary school who also did a class fire drill with her students. She even made a fire alarm noise with her vocal cords as she was doing it. Have any of your teachers ever conducted their own class fire drills?

LOL a fire drill drill!

I’ve never heard of this happening before, but I have heard of special education classes / groups having their own fire drills at a different time from the rest of the school… and going outside a minute before each of the actual fire drills – their reason? students with anxiety over loud noises… I’d say don’t do that, these kids gotta get used to the noise at some point, right?

I remember in 8th grade practicing the new routine just with my class. But it was only to go over the new procedures since they changed fire drill/alarm procedures from my 7th grade year and they had the entire middle school meet at the recreation field behind the school.

Yes. Also the whole school should do the fire drills at the same time, as though there were an actual fire.

We did something like this in 1st grade. In 3rd grade, the whole school had a “pretend fire drill” a few days before the real thing. The principal went on the PA and told us to pretend the fire alarm was going off…

Last year, my school did poorly on a fire drill, so we went back in, and 5-10 minutes later the principal went on the PA and actually yelled, “DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGGGGGGGG!”, trying to simulate the fire alarms! :lol:

Wow! I have never heard of such a funny fire drill story! :smiley:
For me, in 4th and 4th grade, since I was terrified of the fire alarm and it’s sound, the school counselor would take me outside before the alarm went off. It was interesting to hear the Simplex 4040’s, or as I called them, the buzzers, from far away.

My 9th grade math teacher made our class do this once.

I remember very much so doing this in Kindergarden. My teacher would pick up this dinner-style bell she had and we just left. It was weird also, because we thought the fire alarm was actually that so when we had a drill later, we did not know what to do.

We did this throughout elementary school and in seventh grade.

I did this in kindergarten for both years, but other than that we didn’t do these. There was a time our principal set off the fire alarm system to show the school what the alarms sounded like.

Our principal did that when the 4050s were replaced by Truealerts and the concept of alarms in each classroom scared the students s**tless.

That would be a literal lifesaver in my school! Four of the classrooms are portable huts attached to the school, and only one of them has an NA. A few years ago, some idiot put metal in a microwave and set off the fire alarm, and the whole school had to be evacuated. Since our school is small, students eat lunch in their classrooms, and due to the 6-inch thick walls and heavy fire doors and the noise level in the classroom, the students didn’t even know there was a fire alarm until a student opened the door 2 minutes into the alarm. That’s why I think they should put NAs in all the portables. Of course, I would put mini-horns instead of a 6 inch bell (which is in the one portable) and DEFINITELY NOT a SpectrAlert Advance, like in my school’s locker rooms!! :shock:

The stupid thing about the above incident is that the fire department was notified, because someone lost the school’s only B key!! :lol:

Ah, well, our school had “units,” as they were called, which were large rooms that housed four classrooms and some communal area in between each set of 2 (IE, computer lab, gathering area for a large group of students to watch a movie). Each unit had a 4050 on each side/exit (on what was likely max volume), with 4050s at the school’s two exits and one at a major corner of the school. Additionally, the kitchen, art room, and janitorial areas had 4050s. The music room and cafeteria (high noise areas) had 7004t’s. If you weren’t hard of hearing, my elementary school was adequately notified.

Yeah. My ES had 10 inch Simplex bells on continuous. They placed them in pretty stupid places. By the office, there are two bells placed Literally 10 feet apart! There was even a bell in the library (as well as an Edwards 270-spo, which is oddly placed by an office door)!

Only happened once for me in my third grade music class. She did it to go over the procedures. This was when the art/music room were in an alcove behind the library (they would get moved into the library the following year) and she was new so she wanted to see if we knew the procedures. The room in question had a Gentex SHG.