Vertical strobe Wheelock AS's.

Have you seen them in your area? The original vertical strobe Wheelock AS’s? They seem pretty rare over here. I’ve only been to one place that had them.

My elementary school had one in one of the rooms that used to be a cafeteria kitchen. When the cafeteria was moved and all of that space were turned into classrooms, the horn stayed. While I was there, the room was a 1st grade classroom, then a multi-purpose enrichment/band room and then a 6th grade classroom. Now its a kindergarten gym.

I own one yet, I’ve only seen them so far in one building.

I think a Wal-Mart I sometimes go to (like 99% of Wal-Marts in the United States, it has a Radionics system) has vertical-strobe ASses, but I’m not sure. I hardly ever go to Wal-Mart anymore.

please don’t make a dirty joke about ASses :slight_smile:

Oh come on, you went out of your way to type asses. That doesn’t even make sense in a serious context.

Who the heck cares? He could have been referring to donkeys, you know… :wink:

For the record I have seen a couple Wal-Marts with Fire-Lite panels…

Awh, typing “more than one Wheelock AS” wasn’t as fun. :lol:

A local Barnes and Noble store just up the street from my condo had Vertical Wheelock ASes. At first I thought it was a fire alarm I never heard about, but when I find out that Wheelock had vertical strobe versions of the AS, I knew right off the bat that this was a Wheelock AS. That Barnes and Noble store closed last year and was replaced with the Container Store. The ASes are now gone and have been replaced with ceiling mount Simplex TrueAlert Horn Strobes and the matching remote strobes. I figured that the system was getting replaced after the store closed. lol.

I have been to a Best Buy in Fort Wayne and they have these types of AS’s. The model number is AS-2415

Our city hall/utilities building has some.

A B&N in Dayton, OH has them.

The Target in Owatonna has one in the restroom area. The rest are horizontal models. along with one on the ceiling right above the entrance!

Also for those who remember the tragic Station nightclub fire, the alarm heard was supposedly one of these also.

That’s strange, I heard somewhere else that they were Wheelock MTs. They both sound exactly the same, so that’s probably why.

Damn. I guess they aren’t as rare as I once thought that they were.

Sorry for the bump, but my school has the horizontal Wheelock AS horn strobes, but after checking when the building was built, and learning when AS horn strobes were first manufactured ( the horizontal strobe ones ) i learned the building could have installed the vertical strobe ones. My question is: how could the school install an alarm that hadnt began being manufactured? The building was built in late 2003 im estimating, around the same time when vertical AS horn strobes started being made.

The horizontal AS, the NS, and the RSS all came out in late 1998.

Source: Old Notifier datasheet.

Huh. Thx for the information. Was it around the same time that the Wheelock AS-24-MCW horns came out as well, because that’s what my school has.

Wheelock didn’t come out with multi-candela for quite a while. I can’t tell you when though as I do not know.

Why would the AS and NS come out at the same time? I thought the NS replaced the AS.

Actually, the AS came out around 1995. The NS and the RSS came in 1998, but the AS continued to be made. I don’t know what differentiates the AS and the NS enough to have two product lines, but I suppose they had their reasons.

https://web.archive.org/web/19961219110531/http://www.wheelockinc.com/

If I remember correctly, one of the reasons they made the NS was so it wasn’t so boxy looking. I think there were a few more reasons ( there had to have been more I just can’t remember ) for why the NS and the ZNS were made.

The ZNS and ZRS were made with the “snap on” mounting plates, so you could wire the back plate and then snap the alarm on.