Has anyone lost the slc on a farenhyt IFP1000 ECS panel?

working on a IFP1000 ECS panel for the first time and something happened to the slc circuit last night. we tested a idp heat in the elevator machine room and it fired off the contact closure for the shunt trip. the shunt trip did not work so we started looking at wiring and noticed that the system would not reset. it looks like I lost communication with all of my slc devices and I am not sure why. has anyone ever ran into this before?

Is it showing a trouble for every missing point or only an SLC communications fault? I had an IFP-1000 that stopped polling all SLC devices and started showing an SLC comm fault after I changed out an input module. Acknowledging the trouble would only cause it to resound a few seconds later. My only guess was that maybe the input module picked up some stray voltage or a ground loop from the conduit and shorted the SLC, but I didn’t meter anything abnormal.

Nothing against SK/Farenhyt, but this wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard of their panels inexplicably failing.

Okay so you are using an addressable relay module (IDP-RELAY) to trip the shunt when the heat in the machine room is tripped?

Here’s what I would do first, in this order.

1. Remove the relay module from the SLC loop and see if the loop comes back.
  2. Check for stray voltage on the SLC terminals on the relay module. I have seen those things go bad and leak 120V into the SLC before. Recently replaced a Notifier panel with a bad SLC after a relay failed after a power surge on the shunt circuit.
  3. If the loop still does not come back with the relay module isolated then you will have to replace the panel. Check for stray voltage on the SLC before you connect it to the new panel. If you did get a high voltage surge onto the loop you will probably end up with bad devices as well which will also need to be replaced.

Any Short, bad device, device from another manufacturer, will cause the loop to go down. Treat it as if it were a ground fault. Disconnect loop half way, and see if loop comes back. The old divide, and conquer routine. You will find problem fairly quickly. Don’t forget you may have more than one problem.
If you want to verify panel is good, look in programming, find out what the number one module is. Program a new device, or use the existing one connected to panel by it’s self. Scroll back thru troubles with this device connected only. That device should not be in the list of existing troubles. This is only if you suspect panel as problem. I’m betting you have a problem in the field (device most likely).

Moderator Note: Post bump disregarded. Although the previous post was in 2014, this information may be helpful for those who may search the forums for the same issue.