Today's Job

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
EdwardsFan
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician
YouTube Username: Mircomfan

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:00 am

Here's what I have been up to in my CFAA course. Today we were verifying the devices we had installed on the upstairs portion of our lab. They had finally been connected to the panel with some Addressable modules, so we could do some testing with the panel downstairs. I took a quick video of the alarms going off, the first one is a Classic System sensor speaker/strobe, and the other two are newer ones.

The panel is technically supposed to be a two-stage, but right now it is acting as a single stage panel. They had just connected the speakers and programmed a tone for them just weeks ago. I was thankful they didn't connect the mini horns that were in each cubicle. They do have a Simplex 4005 installed upstairs, and a 4100U at one point, but looks like all the systems are going to be connected to the XLS-3030. I guess they were having problems with Simplex and programming the panels.
"Never forget your history, Nor your destiny." - Bob Marley
Signal Alert
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: SignalAlert

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:41 pm

Lambda wrote:
ComputerLover9000 wrote:Why would they do this, exactly?
Maybe those batteries fell out of the back of a truck?
Probably, free is the best price. :)
Signal Alert
New Fire Alarm Videos Every Other Week

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/signalalert
chris+s
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:18 pm

That's what you get with those off the shelf trunk slammers.
Nazeo
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician

Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:26 pm

I was testing a Siemens Firefinder XLS PMI-3 and just as the day was ready to end, I go to push the hotkey to re-enable the signals, and the system crashed and a Watchdog trouble came on the touchscreen.
I was a bit concerned, and did a warm start to the system by pressing the white reset button located behind the CPU and it was okay again.
It's always those quirks that happen at the end of the day!
http://www.securitynewsdesk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/JohnsonControls-Tyco.png
HenBasket
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: HenBasket

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:34 am

Nazeo wrote:I was testing a Siemens Firefinder XLS PMI-3 and just as the day was ready to end, I go to push the hotkey to re-enable the signals, and the system crashed and a Watchdog trouble came on the touchscreen.
I was a bit concerned, and did a warm start to the system by pressing the white reset button located behind the CPU and it was okay again.
It's always those quirks that happen at the end of the day!
What's a watchdog trouble?
I like to say fr*ck and h*ck on Christian Minecraft servers
nightfly287
Wiki Team Member
Wiki Team Member

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:58 pm

electronicwiz101 wrote: What's a watchdog trouble?
I believe it's a special name for the built-in communicator, although I am not certain.
nightfly287 -- Director of Sarcasm
kcin556
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: kcin556

Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:14 pm

electronicwiz101 wrote:What's a watchdog trouble?
From the XLS Manual:
"The System continuously checks all software and hardware for proper operation. It
checks all System memory components, control panel electronic hardware, and the
System program. A hardware watchdog circuit is provided to ensure that System
programs are functioning properly. If a problem develops with the program or processor,
the watchdog circuit places the System into a trouble condition and resets it."
Essentially, a watchdog trouble indicates that the panel's processor or a system software program has malfunctioned
Nick - Administrator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 on YouTube
Nazeo
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Correct!

I have had it happen on a Siemens MXL and unfortunately I was testing a roll door at the time and my partner didn't let me know quick enough. Not only it set off the roll door, but it also activated the horns and strobes.
Not a fun day.

Today, I'm at an EST & JCI TSW, receiving alarms from a Johnson Controls IFC 3030 and a EST III.
So far so good!
http://www.securitynewsdesk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/JohnsonControls-Tyco.png
chris+s
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:37 pm

watchdog is actually a generic electronics term.

basically a watchdog timer is a timer, that when it runs out, resets the system. what happens programming wise is after a chunk of code is processed, it resets the watchdog timer. if the timer never gets reset and goes down to zero, it's assumed the chunk of code hung up or froze, so it automatically resets the device. it's a built in safety feature to prevent freezing or lockups.

so whatever the XLS was doing, it didn't get it done before the watchdog timer ran out and it got reset and hit with that message.
Signal Alert
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: SignalAlert

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:00 pm

I love this thread and this forum. You always can learn more from everyone else about panel features that rarely come up in normal operation. It's interesting stuff.
Signal Alert
New Fire Alarm Videos Every Other Week

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/signalalert
DJDiehl2K
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: DJDiehl2K

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:34 pm

I am working my very first job, as an intern. We are contracted by my school district to replace a fire alarm system in two schools. This is the school I'm working at: Man, is this system a piece of work! It's a Simplex 4010 panel with TrueAlarm smoke detectors for spot and ducts, I saw a really old probably ionization detector, and I believe the original system was horns only with 2901-9806s. Currently, the system has boxes in the wall, semi-flush mount plates, box extenders with a 2901-9806, conduit running an inch to a surface mount box, and single gang lights on top. The lights look like red corridor lights that say FIRE. In some spots, there are TrueAlert strobes and horn strobes, or Wheelock AS's. One spot has an AS and a 2901 paired together. Pulls are Simplex T-Bars, single action and dual action spread around all over. There is no consistency anywhere. There is a wood shop class room with a duct detector. The remote test switch is flashing every few seconds. The panel stays silent.

Second school: wheelock and kidde rebranded 7002Ts, Wheelock AS, those old and rare black and red Kidde pull stations with the clear plastic "lift" cover.

We are installing a Notifier system in both schools, using a voice evac system, System Sensor speaker strobes, strobes, and Notifier smokes. Pulls are Notifier BG-12LXs, all notification appliances are on the ceiling.
Professional Can Opener
Commercial & Residential Burglary Alarm, Access Control, and CCTV Technician at Digital Media & Security
GE Concord 4 Owner | Fire & Burglary Alarm Enthusiast
View System Tests on YouTube
firefreak57
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: firefreak57

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:09 pm

Comments2010 wrote:I am working my very first job, as an intern. We are contracted by my school district to replace a fire alarm system in two schools. This is the school I'm working at: Man, is this system a piece of work! It's a Simplex 4010 panel with TrueAlarm smoke detectors for spot and ducts, I saw a really old probably ionization detector, and I believe the original system was horns only with 2901-9806s. Currently, the system has boxes in the wall, semi-flush mount plates, box extenders with a 2901-9806, conduit running an inch to a surface mount box, and single gang lights on top. The lights look like red corridor lights that say FIRE. In some spots, there are TrueAlert strobes and horn strobes, or Wheelock AS's. One spot has an AS and a 2901 paired together. Pulls are Simplex T-Bars, single action and dual action spread around all over. There is no consistency anywhere. There is a wood shop class room with a duct detector. The remote test switch is flashing every few seconds. The panel stays silent.

Second school: wheelock and kidde rebranded 7002Ts, Wheelock AS, those old and rare black and red Kidde pull stations with the clear plastic "lift" cover.

We are installing a Notifier system in both schools, using a voice evac system, System Sensor speaker strobes, strobes, and Notifier smokes. Pulls are Notifier BG-12LXs, all notification appliances are on the ceiling.
Those 'rare' Kidde pulls you mentioned are the B5. They were common especially in the early 1990's, but not nearly as common.

Are you sure those are Kidde rebranded 7002T's? As far as I know, Thorn, Potter, Honeywell, CP, Spectronics, Pyrotronics among others rebranded the 7002T.
Though the Potter and Thorn variants are rare, I saw a Potter one on eBay and Thorn and ones at the airport this morning.

Thorn also rebranded the B5, and the airport had both a combination of Kidde and Thorn branded units.
The official account of firefreak57! Class of 2019.
Proud Owner of a Simplex 4004 Fire Alarm System
My YouTube Channel
DJDiehl2K
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: DJDiehl2K

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:44 am

firefreak57 wrote:
Comments2010 wrote:I am working my very first job, as an intern. We are contracted by my school district to replace a fire alarm system in two schools. This is the school I'm working at: Man, is this system a piece of work! It's a Simplex 4010 panel with TrueAlarm smoke detectors for spot and ducts, I saw a really old probably ionization detector, and I believe the original system was horns only with 2901-9806s. Currently, the system has boxes in the wall, semi-flush mount plates, box extenders with a 2901-9806, conduit running an inch to a surface mount box, and single gang lights on top. The lights look like red corridor lights that say FIRE. In some spots, there are TrueAlert strobes and horn strobes, or Wheelock AS's. One spot has an AS and a 2901 paired together. Pulls are Simplex T-Bars, single action and dual action spread around all over. There is no consistency anywhere. There is a wood shop class room with a duct detector. The remote test switch is flashing every few seconds. The panel stays silent.

Those 'rare' Kidde pulls you mentioned are the B5. They were common especially in the early 1990's, but not nearly as common.

Are you sure those are Kidde rebranded 7002T's? As far as I know, Thorn, Potter, Honeywell, CP, Spectronics, Pyrotronics among others rebranded the 7002T.
Though the Potter and Thorn variants are rare, I saw a Potter one on eBay and Thorn and ones at the airport this morning.

Thorn also rebranded the B5, and the airport had both a combination of Kidde and Thorn branded units.
Yup, they were Kidde 7002Ts. Silver sticker that says kidde. Also, their are several different generations of TrueAlerts. Also has some 2903s. The 4010 has 2 troubles today. In a few weeks, it'll be gone.
Professional Can Opener
Commercial & Residential Burglary Alarm, Access Control, and CCTV Technician at Digital Media & Security
GE Concord 4 Owner | Fire & Burglary Alarm Enthusiast
View System Tests on YouTube
kcin556
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: kcin556

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:02 am

Comments2010 wrote:The 4010 has 2 troubles today. In a few weeks, it'll be gone.
Are the contractors kind enough to allow you to salvage any of the equipment?
Nick - Administrator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 on YouTube