Did you ever used to believe that NAs detected smoke?

When I was in elementary school, I believe that the NAs at the school detected smoke, and that the actual smoke detectors weren’t connected to the fire alarm system, but were just like household ones, detecting smoke and sounding an alarm from the detector itself.

I somewhat used to think that.

Lol, I though that when I was younger. :lol:

Or you did’t know about remote strobes…

What does that have to do with it?

He means not knowing they only flashed, and thinking they made sound as well. I used to believe that as well.

Talking about what we belived about fire alarms when we where younger. Has anyone belived that if one fire alarm in a building is going off, ALL the other fire alarms in the world will go off as well. LOL I look back at it now and I fell a bit dumb, but then again I was like 3 :lol:.

I used to think that my school’s rectangular Simplex strobes had horns in them. They were in the bathrooms, which scared be a bit.

Then I figured out that they didn’t. Good times! :smiley:

Hmmm…that thought seems a bit familiar to me. However, I usually thought this more so with the ceiling mounted NA’s as opposed to the wall mounted ones. Come to think of it, I vaguely remember going into a store with Gentex Commander 4’s on the ceiling, and mistaking the white candela window as some sort of photocell that could sense smoke (somehow, I missed the little number that indicates the candela). Of course, that was about a decade ago…I didn’t know as much about fire alarms as I do now.

My elementary school didn’t have any remote strobes. They had Wheelock 7004t horn/strobes. The bathrooms either had a Wheelock 7004t or no NA.

I used to think that fire drills were done using a pull station. I know it’s like that at some schools, but I believed my school was like that.

I’m sure you were out of there in no time!

Only the bathrooms in the cafeteria had a Wheelock 7004t. All the rest of the bathrooms had no NA in them.

I thought the opposite. I remember at my school, they had an Edwards 6500, with a fire drill switch on it. I thought they used that to sound the alarms, but turns out they would use a pull station (Everytime I saw the janitor with a flat head, there was a fire drill right after). I don’t even know if the fire drill switch was for that purpose, or it was used to disconnect the fire dept.

Hmm. Interesting.

I used to think that all fire alarm systems were only local, and didn’t notify the fire department when they were pulled. Seeing those sprinkler bells that said “when bell rings call fire department” kind of reinforced that belief.

My elementary school had dual-action Simplex T-Bars. I used to think that pushing the black part sounded the alarms, and pulling the level set off the… sprinkler system (yes, today I know sprinklers don’t work that way, but whatever).

Sounds strange? If so, you’re not alone. I don’t even understand why I ever thought this!

Also you could have thought when one fire sprinkler activates, the whole system activates. I used to think this, know i know better.(My dad argues its not like that…)

Which way does your Dad argue? I hope he doesn’t argue that they all go off. If he does I’ll kick his ass. :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess its ass kicking time… :stuck_out_tongue:

Deluge systems work like that, but you’ll only find those in high hazard or special areas normally.

Yes, a deluge system would work like that, but most people outside the industry have no knowledge of how a deluge system operates, let alone even knowing they exist.