Fire Alarm On-Line Training Courses

Below is from an email I received today about some on-line fire alarm training classes offered at Cape Fear Community College. Any techs out there who need CPD points for a NICET renewal may benefit from this. I have no affiliation with the college nor have I personally taken these courses so I couldn’t give you an evaluation of the quality of the material - but anyone looking for a career in the alarm industry may want to look into taking a few courses at some point to give you a professional advantage.

Fire Alarm Systems Training classes at Cape Fear Community College will start August 31, 2015. Our courses are self-paced and offered online to anyone with an Internet connection. The registration fee for the four-month course is $180 (USD) and awards 14.4 CEU’s. NICET awards 1 CPD point for 0.1 CEU (10 points per CEU). Those who are using the course to obtain NICET Continuing Personal Development (CPD) points will max out the category “Additional Education” and earn 45 points.

Scroll down the list of courses and choose Alarms 101 or Alarms 102. The window will expand when you click on the title displaying a button to sign up for the class… http://cfcc.edu/ce/schedule-of-classes/

Alarms 101

This course is designed for those individuals who are new to the fire alarm industry and will focus on fundamentals. Students will learn basic electrical theory and understand resistance, voltage and current. Individuals currently in the fire alarm industry would benefit from the concepts and theories, which will be built upon in the Alarms 102 course.

Students will also acquire a basic understanding of the physics involved in the chemical reaction and the by-products of fire. Students will learn basic electrical workmanship and installation methods of fire alarm equipment and devices. The student will gain an understanding the requirements of codes and standards that govern fire alarm systems and installations. (14.4 CEU’s awarded)

Students will become familiar with NFPA 72, the National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code, and NFPA 70, the National Electric Code (NEC). These references are consistent with NICET’s allowable references for Level I and II Fire Alarm Systems exam(s).

Alarms 102

This course is designed for individuals who are fire alarm technicians or have intermediate experience in the fire alarm industry and will focus on application and design. The subject matter will build upon concepts addressing the behavior and generation of smoke, the combustion process and the requirements of codes and standards that govern fire alarm systems and installations. (14.4 CEU’s awarded)

Students will become familiar with NFPA 72, the National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code, NFPA 70, the National Electric Code (NEC), NFPA 101, the Life Safety Code, and the International Building (IBC). These references are consistent with NICET’s allowable references for Level III and IV Fire Alarm Systems exam(s).

1 Like