Make Up a System (2.0)

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

This is the system that is used for the Bensalem high school and what horns are used and in which areas they are.
In most of the school, the alarms are Simplex 2901-9833 horns on 2903-9101 strobe plates

Located in the pool room, wood shop lab and technology classroom are Edwards 881D horns on 802-2B-001 strobe plates

Two rooms, the TV studio and the industrial technology lab have Simplex 2901-9838 horns on 4903-9101 strobes plates

Over in the weight room, there is a Wheelock 34T horn on a Space Age Electronics AV32 flasher

The orchestra classroom and family and consumer science kitchen have Gentex GOS horn/strobes set to Hi-Lo tone

Finally, the career resource room, the production lab and drama classroom have Space Age Electronics VA4 horn/strobes
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Jordan Woods Elementary School was built in 1964 as a two-story campus with the capacity for about 300 students. The school gained an 8-classroom addition in 1986, and was renovated and gained a new media center in 2009.

Fire Alarm
Panel
  • Current System: Simplex 4100U INFOALARM - Voice Evac Campus Wide
  • Original System: Simplex 2001 replacing an Edwards AC System.
Annunciator
  • Current System: Simplex 4603 in the main lobby
  • Original System: Graphic Annunciator
Initiating Devices
  • Current System: Pulls are all Simplex 4099-9002s, all behind Stopper II covers. Smoke detectors are all Simplex 4098s, with a few Simplex 2098 heat detectors in various areas.
  • Original System: In the 1964 building, there were Edwards 270 pulls and Edwards heat sensors, with a few Simplex wiffleball smokes replacing broken devices. The 1986 addition had Simplex 4521-20 pulls and Wiffleball smokes.
Notification Appliances
  • Current System: All classrooms have ceiling mounted Simplex 4906-9154 speaker/strobes, the hallways, media center, front office, and cafetorium have Simplex 4906-9151 speaker/strobes. Some offices and resource rooms have 4902-9721 speakers. Restrooms have Simplex 4904 strobes. Outside, there are Wheelock STH speakers beneath RSSWP strobes. All strobes are sync'd. Speakers play a slow whoop tone and the following message:
    Female Voice: May I have your attention please! May I have your attention please! There has been a fire emergency reported in this building. Please leave the building by the nearest exit or exit stairway. Do not use the elevators.
  • Original System: The 1964 building had Edwards 360 horns in the hallways, plus one each in the cafetorium and media center. There were also a few Wheelock MT4-115-WM horn/strobes in some areas to add signal coverage as needed. A Simplex 4050 was installed on the first floor. The 1986 addition had Simplex 2901-9806 horns on 2903 strobe plates in the hallways and some classrooms, with a Wheelock NS horn/strobe in one classroom.
Intercom/Clock/Bell
Intercom
Head End Equipment
  • Current System - Rauland Telecenter VI
  • Original System - Bogen SI35A
Admin Phones/Mics
  • Current System - Rauland TC6434 phone at receptionist desk, TC4333 phone in principal’s office and clinic
  • Original System - Bogen Mic next to intercom rack
Speakers, Call-Switches
  • Current System - The hallways, media center, and cafeteria all have Rauland ACCWB5 speakers. All classrooms have Rauland ACC1400 speakers with TCDPB2 call-in switches. Outside, there are Atlas baffle speakers.
  • Original System - The 1964 building had Bogen SS250 speakers in the hallways, media center, and cafetorium, and classrooms had Simplex clock/speaker combos with Bogen call-in switches. The 1986 building had Dukane baffle speakers throughout, with classrooms having call-in switches.
Bell
  • Current System: Chime Tone over intercom
  • Original System: The 1964 building had Simplex STR 6 inch bells in the hallways, media center, and cafetorium, with 10 inch bells outside. The 1986 building had Simplex 4 inch bells in the hallways, with 10 inch bells outside. Both buildings had buzzers in the classroom clocks.
Clock System
Panel
  • Current System: Rauland 2524
  • Original System: Simplex 2350, replacing an R83
Clocks
  • Current System: The whole school has Rauland 2522 clocks throughout, with the ones in the hallways being wall-mounted dual units.
  • Original System: The whole school had analog Simplex clocks throughout.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

This is the system of Woodland elementary school.
In most of the school, the alarms are Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 flashers

Located in the in-school suspension classroom, enrichment classroom and school adjustment counselor's office are Wheelock 7002T horn/strobes

Two classrooms, the science lab and the computer lab have Edwards 892-2B horn/strobes

Over in the foreign language classroom, there is a Simplex 4903-9219 horn/strobe

The literacy classroom and the assessment center have Gentex Commander 3 horn/strobes

Finally the OT/PT room, the social worker's office and the resource classroom have SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes (on the lowest possible volume) :)
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

East Berkshire Middle School was built in 1969 as a HUGE three-story building with a capacity for 1,500 students. The school gained a classroom addition and a number of renovations in 1994. A new auditorium was built in 2006.

Fire Alarm
Panel
  • Current System: Gamewell-FCI E3, replacing a Gamewell IF650. FireLite Sensiscan 2000 for elevator recall. The E3 has voice evac capabilities for the auditorium.
  • Original System: Standard Electric Time
Annunciator
  • Current System: FCI RAN-7100, replacing a Gamewell annunciator
  • Original System: Graphic Annunciator in Main Lobby
Initiating Devices
  • Current System: The main pull stations are Gamewell Centuries. Some of these were replaced with Gamewell FCI MS-7s and EST 278-SPOs. Smoke detectors are mostly Gamewell XP95As, but with a few FCI Velociti Series devices to replace broken models. For elevator recall, there are System Sensor 4W-B smokes, replacing 2400s, at each elevator landing, and a ESL heat sensor in the machine room.
  • Original System: The pulls here were Standard Electric Time 200177s and a few Simplex 4521-20s. There were a few SET Heat Sensors and ESL 500 series smoke detectors.
Notification Appliances
  • Current System: In the 1969 and 1994 buildings, there are, for the most part, Gentex SHG horn/strobes set to continuous. These can be found in the hallways, most classrooms, offices, and all large rooms (i.e. gym, cafeteria, library). The woodshop has a Wheelock MT-24-VFR horn/strobe. There are a few Wheelock NS horn/strobes, one in the band room, one in the art room, and one in the dance room. Areas that were previously the auditorium have Mircom FHS-240 horn/strobes. There are two classrooms that have P2Rs. Restrooms and other classrooms have Gentex GXS strobes. Outside, there are Gentex GMH horns. In the 2006 building (i.e. the auditorium), there are Wheelock ET70 speaker/strobes inside, with RSS strobes in the restrooms, and ASWP horn/strobes outside.
  • Original System: There were flush-mounted Standard Electric Time 4-350 horns in the hallways, cafeteria, and media center. Some 4-350s were replaced with Simplex 4040 or Wheelock 31T horns. The gym and auditorium originally had 4-350s, but were replaced with Wheelock 7004Ts in the early 1980s.
Intercom/Bell
Headend Rack
  • Current System: Dukane StarCall
  • Original System: Bogen
Admin Phones/Mic
  • Current System: Dukane 7A1110 at receptionist’s desk, in the principal’s office, and at each grade level house office.
  • Original System: Shure Mic next to intercom rack
Speakers, Call-Switches
  • Current System: The 1969 and 1994 buildings have Dukane 6A328 speakers in the hallways, locker rooms, library, and cafeteria. All classrooms have Dukane 24DS250 clock/speaker combos with call-in switches. The woodshop, metals lab, and pottery lab have Tandy horn speakers with Dukane phones. The gym has Atlas horn speakers. Outside, there are Dukane baffle speakers. The 2006 building has GE/Dukane baffle speakers throughout, with Atlas paging horns outside.
  • Original System: The whole school had Bogen baffle speakers throughout the building, with Tandy horn speakers in the library, cafeteria, gym, woodshop, metals lab, pottery lab, and auditorium, and Simplex clock/speaker combos and call-in switches in the classrooms.
Bell
  • Current System: Tones over intercom; Chime tone as main bell (chime2), Ringing tone as 2-minute warning bell (ring6)
  • Original System: There were Simplex STR 4-inch bells in the hallways, with 6-inch bells in the gym and outside. All classrooms had Edwards Dixiebels.
Clock System
Master Clock
  • Current System: Dukane 24A715M
  • Original System: Simplex 2350, replacing an older Simplex R83
Slave Clocks
  • Current System: The whole school has Dukane 24D40A clocks throughout the building. All classrooms have Dukane 24DS250 clock/speaker combos.
  • Original System: There were Simplex analog clocks throughout the campus.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

The system setup of Ballard middle school.
In most of the school, the alarms are Gentex GMS horn/strobes

Located in the ESL classroom, the library and the art classroom are Gentex SHG horn/strobes

Two classrooms, the agriculture classroom and computer technology classroom have Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 flashers

Over in the weight training room, there is a Space Age Electronics 2DCD horn on AV32 flashers

The district offices and the digital art classroom have Gentex Commander 3 horn/strobes

Finally the chorus classroom, multipurpose room and nurse's office have Wheelock EH-ELI horn/strobes
Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Majesty Tower was built in 1979. It is a 90 story office/retail/hotel building, with a restaurant on the 89th floor and a clubhouse on the 90th floor. It has gone through a number of renovations over the years.

Panel
  • Current System: Simplex 4100ES, replacing a 4120 that replaced a 2100.
Initiating Devices
  • Current System: Pulls are a mix of Simplex 4521-30s, Simplex 2099 and 4099-9002s, one RSG T-Bar, and one Edwards 270-SPO. Smoke detectors are a mix of Simplex 4098 series, older 2098 series, ESL 700s, and rebranded Pyrotector models. Most if not all heat detectors are Simplex 4098 series devices replacing older models. The main lobby has System Sensor BEAM 200 detectors. All AHUs have Simplex Duct Detectors.
Notification Appliances
  • Current System: Signals here, for the most part are ceiling mounted 4090-91 speakers. These can be found in all office spaces and public areas. Originally, all corridors and the lobby had Simplex remote lights, but these were replaced with 4904 strobes when the 4120 was put in. The lobby has Simplex 4903 series speaker/strobes, replacing Simplex megaphone speakers. The hotel lobby and all areas of the hotel have TrueAlert Speaker/Strobes, hotel rooms have ceiling mounted TrueAlert speakers. Broken 4090-91s were replaced with Wheelock ET90 speaker/strobes. The restaurant has ceiling mounted TrueAlert speaker/strobes. The clubhouse has ceiling mounted E90 speakers and wall mounted TrueAlert strobes. The retail area has Simplex megaphone speakers with ceiling mounted 4904 strobes, individual stores have Simplex TrueAlert horn/strobes.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Now we go and move on to Robbinsdale Armstrong high school.
The majority of the school has mostly Simplex 2901-9806 horns on 4903-9101 strobe plates

The woodshop lab, graphics lab and reading classroom have Simplex 2901-9833 horns on 2901-9101 strobe plates

The JROTC and the Assessment Center have Simplex 2901-9838 horns on 4903-9105 strobe plates

The administration hallways have Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 flashers

The business education classroom and the OT/PT room have Wheelock ZNS horn/strobes

The journalism classroom, media center and social worker's office have Classic SpectrAlerts
Simplex 2903-9101
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Fahrenheit4051

The Norfolk Hills Trader Joe's was built in a historic, southern-style mansion. It now boasts an open floorplan to accommodate a large selection of groceries, though the store's architecture was designed to be as fitting as possible.

Control devices

(Please delete this post. It was submitted prematurely.)
"Watch it before you botch it."
- Inspector Sands
Simplex 2903-9101
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Fahrenheit4051

The Norfolk Hills Trader Joe's was built in 1990 in a historic, Southern-style mansion. It now boasts an open floorplan to accommodate a large selection of groceries, though the store's architecture was designed with the old layout in mind.

Control devices
  • The control panel is a Napco MFA-6000
  • There is a Napco RP6000 remote annunciator in the front entryway
Initiating devices
  • The pull stations are A*T 5050-001's
  • The smoke detectors are mostly Kidde 700-series. A few System Sensor i3 2W-B's have been spotted as well.
Notification devices
  • The signals are System Sensor MAEH horns on System Sensor RP241575ADA retrofit plates. Some of the horns seem a bit more faded than the plates, so my guess is that they were added later.
  • One of the horns is white and does 800 Hz. The MAEH can also do this tone but my bets are that it's a regular MA.
I know this because while I was in the dried fruit section trying to decide between bing cherries or prunes, the horns roared to life in electromechanical continuous. My phone battery died due to fiction, so I don't have any footage. When the FD finally let us back in, we found out an employee had left naan bread in the oven unattended at the free sample station. Needless to say, whoever it was is probably naan-employed now.
"Watch it before you botch it."
- Inspector Sands
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

The next elementary schools are gonna be Radio Park, Houserville and Corl Street. This is how Radio Park is set up.
All areas not mentioned have Faraday U-HNH horn/strobes

The resource classroom has a Federal Signal 450 horn behind a 450 light plate

The art classroom has an Edwards 894B-001 horn/strobe

The math interventionist's office, a small second floor wing and the speech classroom have Federal Signal 450D horns with VALS strobes

The music classroom has a SpectrAlert Advance

The reading classroom and the literacy classroom have Simplex TrueAlerts
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Jefferson Elementary School is a small 245,000 square foot neighborhood school, which doesn't even take up that much space. It has a separate building for the gymnasium. Built in 1963, the school has only gone with one system change, that year being 1987 due to a lightning power surge. Lets take a look at what's in store

PANEL: The "new" panel is a Simplex 4100, which replaced the original 4246. The gym building has no system.

INITIATORS: Every room in the school building (apart from the gym obviously), along with every 20-40 feet in the hallways/large rooms have Simplex 2098-9642s, which were installed with the newer system. A few classrooms and fire doors have conventional TrueAlarms. Every bathroom in the school has had their detector removed leaving either a hole in the ceiling (no drop ceilings), or covered with paint/circular backbox plate. Pull stations are under almost every alarm apart from the gym, being 2099-series break glass pulls, many of which are broken. The cafeteria has newer 2099-series pulls by the exit doors. The original system had no smokes, and pulls were coded Chevrons installed under each alarm.

ALARMS: Hallways have scarcely mounted Simplex 2903s with -9806 horns, mostly at 3-way hall points. 2904-9102 ceiling strobes are placed a couple feet away from EVERY smoke detector in the school, even in the bathrooms where they were removed. The cafeteria, art, and music rooms have Gentex SHG horn/strobes, with the lunchroom also having a 2903-9806. Original alarms consisted of 4040 horns- 3 in total- all in hallways. Two of these alarms are still in place but disconnected, and one was removed due to renovation.
blm // he/him
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Here we have the setup of Houserville elementary school and what the system is for there in terms of a fire alarm.
Hallways and other areas not listed have Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 flashers

The art room, administration hallways and music classroom have Faraday 6120 horns on Space Age Electronics AV32 flashers

The main entrance and the small second floor hallways have Simplex 2901-9833 horns on 2903-9101 flashers

The in-school suspension classroom has a Wheelock 7002

The reading classroom and the gymnasium have Simplex 4903-9237 horn/strobes

Finally the OT/PT room, the math interventionist room and the social worker's room all have Simplex 4903-9252 horn/strobes
Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Jones Elementary School was built in 1995 with a capacity for 1500 students. A classroom addition, and a complete renovation, was done in 2016.

Fire Alarm
Panel
  • Current System: Edwards EST3 - Campus Wide Voice Evac
  • Original System: Simplex 4120
Annunciator
  • Current System: Edwards 3LCDANN in main Lobby
  • Original System: Simplex 4603
Initiating Devices
  • Current System: Pulls here are Edwards SIGA 278s, all behinder STI Stopper IIs (from the Simplex system that was here before). Smoke detectors are all Edwards SIGA-PSs. Heat detectors are mostly Edwards SIGA-HRDs.
  • Original System: Original, the pulls were 2099-9756s and 4099s behind Stopper IIs. Smoke detectors were a mix of 2098 and 4098 series devices.
Notification Appliances
  • Current System: Signals for the most part are Edwards EGCF-S2VM speaker/strobes. These signals are installed in all classrooms and office areas. Some resource rooms have Edwards EGCF-S2 speakers instead. Restrooms have Edwards GCF-VM strobes. The media center, hallways, art room, music room, and cafeteria/MPR have Edwards G4HFWF-S2VMC speaker/strobes. Outside, there are Edwards WG4RF-SVMC speaker/strobes.
  • Original System: Originally, there Wheelock AS-2415 and NS horn/strobes in the hallways and large rooms (i.e. Media Center, Cafeteria, Art, Music), and RSS strobes everywhere else. There were two TrueAlerts in the front office replacing broken AS horn/strobes. Outside, there was a lone Gentex GMH.
Intercom
Head-End Rack
  • Current System: Rauland Telecenter U
  • Original System: Dukane Starcall
Admin Phones
  • Current System: Rauland TCC2044
  • Original System: Dukane 7A1110
Speakers, Call Switches
  • Current (Original) System: In the 1995 building, the speakers are mostly are a holdover from the old Dukane system. Hallways, the cafeteria, and the media center have wall-mounted Dukane speakers. All classrooms (including art and music rooms) have Dukane clock/speaker combos with Dukane call-in buttons. Offices have ceiling mounted Dukane speakers, and Atlas paging horns outside. The 2016 addition has Rauland ceiling mounted speakers throughout with call-switches in the classrooms. Outside, there are Rauland weatherproof speakers.
Bell
  • Current System: Chime Tone over Intercom
  • Original System: Telephone Tone (ring1) over intercom
Clock System
Master Clock
  • Current System: Lathem LTR-512
  • Original System: Dukane 24A701
Clocks
  • Current (Original) System: As with speakers, the clocks in the 1995 building are a holdover from the original system. These are mostly being Dukane digital clocks, with a few Lathem digital clocks to replace broken units. The 2016 addition has Lathem digital clocks throughout.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Finally, this is how Corl Street elementary school is set up.
Hallways and other areas have Simplex 4041 horns on 4050-80 flashers

The library and reading classroom have Simplex 2901-9806 horns on 2903-9101 flashers

The literacy classroom and the rear stairwell exit have Edwards 892-2B horn/strobes

The resource classroom and the kindergarten and first grade hallway have Gentex SHG horn/strobes

The exterior of the school has Classic SpectrAlerts

Finally, the music classroom has a Simplex TrueAlert
Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Marietta High School was built in 1953 as a HUGE, 4-story, 3,000 student campus. There was one cafeteria on each floor, a HUGE auditorium, and TWO gyms. In 1986, a 21-classroom addition was built to meet the growing student population, and at that time the school gained two elevators. A new media center, Computer Science wing, and planetarium addition was built in 2008, and at that time, a number of renovations occured.

Fire Alarm
Panel
  • Current System: Simplex 4100U INFOALARM w/ Voice Evac Capabilities
  • Original System: Simplex 2001 replacing a coded Autocall system. A*T Unimode (2x) for elevator recall
Annunciator
  • Current System: Simplex 4603 and remote mic in front office
  • Original System: Graphic Annunciator in Lobby
Initiating Devices
  • Current System: Pull stations are all Simplex 4099-9002s under Stopper II covers. Smoke detectors are all Simplex 4098 series devices, and heat detectors are Simplex 2098 series devices. AHUs have Air Product Controls duct detectors monitored by Simplex ZAM modules.
  • Original System: In the 1953 building, there were Autocall FNC pulls, along with a few 4521-20s, and one Edwards 270 pull. Smokes were Simplex wiffleballs which were installed later on, and a few Autocall heat sensors. In the 1986 addition, there were Simplex 4521-20 pulls and wiffleball smokes. For elevator recall, there were ESL 500 series smoke detectors at each landing, with ESL heat sensors in the machine room.
Notification Appliances
  • Current System: Signals here are Simplex 4906-9251 speaker/strobes. These are installed in all classrooms, hallways, offices, restrooms, the auditorium, planetarium, lab rooms, band room, choir room, and dance room. Areas requiring additional strobe coverage have Simplex 4906-9201 strobes. The cafeterias and media center have Simplex 4906-9254 speaker/strobes. The gyms have Simplex 4906-9201 strobes wall-mounted with Wheelock STH speakers on the ceiling. In the locker rooms and outside, there are Wheelock ET70WP speaker/strobes. All speakers play a slow whoop tone and the following message:
    Male voice: May I have your attention please, a fire alarm has been reported. Please walk to the nearest exit or stairway and exit the building. Do not use the elevators.
  • Original System: In the 1953 building, there were Autocall 121-S horns (four on each level, one in each cafeteria, two in the auditorium, two in the media center, and two in each gym). There was a Federal 350 in the 2nd floor kitchen replacing a 121-S. In the 1986 addition, there were Simplex 2901-9806 horns on 2903 strobe plates in the hallways and some of the classrooms with a few 4903-9220s, and a 2901-9833 (flush-mounted) outside. All restrooms have 4904 strobes. All coded to 90 bpm march time.

Intercom
Head-End Equipment
  • Current System: Bogen Multicom 2000
  • Original System: Dukane
Admin Phones/Mic
  • Current System: Bogen MC2000 at receptionist’s desk, principal's office and the dean's office
  • Original System: Dukane Mic next to intercom rack
Speakers, Call-Switches
  • Current System: All classrooms and hallways have Bogen ASM1 speakers. The wood shop, welding lab, and planetarium have Quam System 1VP speakers. All classrooms have Bogen CA19 call switches. The media center, locker room, and all cafeterias have Bogen MB8STQ speakers. The auditorium, and both gyms have Bogen IH8A horns. Outside, there are Bogen KFLDS30T speakers.
  • Original System: The 1953 building had Executone speakers in the hallways, cafeterias, media center, and locker rooms. Classrooms had IBM clock/speaker combos. The wood shop, welding lab, auditorium, and both gyms had Tandy Power Horns. The 1986 addition had Rauland ACC speakers throughout.
Bell
  • Current System: Tone over intercom (Tone 5 as the main bell; Tone 7 as the warning bell)
  • Original System: The 1953 building had IBM 6-inch bells throughout (next to the fire alarms basically), with 10 inch bells outside. There was an Edwards 6 inch bell in the 3rd floor cafeteria and a few Simplex 4090-1s replacing broken IBM bells. The 1986 building had Edwards 4 inch bells throughout with 6 inch bells outside. Both buildings had buzzers in the classroom clocks.
Clock System
Master Clock Panel
  • Current System: Midwest Time Control MTC-6000
  • Original System: Lathem LTR512 replacing the original IBM system
Clocks
  • Current System: The whole school has MTC 200 series clocks
  • Original System: The 1953 building had IBM analog clocks throughout, with a few Lathem clocks to replace broken models. The 1986 building had Lathem analog clocks throughout.