Make Up a System (2.0)

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Wakefield middle school, school number 1 which has 976 students is set up like this.
In most of the school, the alarms are Simplex 4903-9219 horn/strobes.

Located in the band classroom, the reading classroom and the library are Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 flashers.

Two rooms, the engineering classroom and the assessment center have Faraday 5940 horns on Space Age Electronics AV32 flashers.

Over in the locker rooms, there are Federal Signal 450D horns with VALS strobes.

The sixth grade wing and nurse’s office have Simplex TrueAlerts.

Finally, the computer applications classroom, the speech office and the stage in the auditorium have Wheelock ZNS horn/strobes.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Time to reignite this topic. I'm gonna do a library now and later I'll do like a waterpark or something. Don't worry I'm still gonna do schools I promiseee!!! LOL

Alpine Public Library was finished in 1988 and is located somewhere north in Iowa. The structure is around 40,000 square feet and has two stories, with the top being the typical quiet reading/study area and the bottom having more printing and hangout areas. A computer lab is also found on the top floor. There are offices on the northern side of the building for workers...

...ok now time for special interest time

SYSTEM - Currently, the building has a Silent Knight 5808 installed in 2010, which replaced an older Silent Knight panel in turn replacing the original simplex panel in 1994. Sadly, not a trace of simplex is currently installed.

INITIATING DEVICES - All initiating devices were upgraded with the new system, which means smoke detectors and pull stations. Smokes consist of SK-PHOTOs, which are installed 5-10 away from each other in the main areas, office halls, and lobby. Excluding bathrooms, each room has one detector, the meeting room poses an exception with two. A couple fire doors have SK-PHOTO-Ws on each side which replaced the SK-PHOTOs in the summer of 2018. Pull stations are PS-SAs with Stopper II covers over them, found only at exit doors.

NOTIFICATION APPLIANCES - Added with the 1994 SK Panel, the signals everywhere consist of white Wheelock CH-DF1-LSM chime/strobes. Many have also been replaced by white CH-70s. The computer labs, meeting rooms, and most individual office rooms have CH-90s. Bathrooms and study rooms have RSSes, though the men's bathroom has a LSM strobe. One CH-DF1 in the office halls was replaced by a red SpectrAlert Classic horn/strobe in 2006 for some reason. Outside, theres a Wheelock WM3T-24 with a MB bell above serving for sprinklers.
blm // he/him
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

You mean the topic wasn't active already? :P Here I thought all I was gonna get was one system ever dozen number of weeks. XD

Fuller Middle School, the second middle school of 3, which was open on August 27th, now has a system set up like this:
In most of the school, the alarms are Edwards 894B-001 horn/strobes

Located in the literacy classroom is a Wheelock 34T on a Space Age Electronics AV32 flasher

Three rooms, the OT/PT room, the band room and the art classroom have Siemens U-HNH horn/strobes

Over in the fabrications laboratory, there is a Faraday 6120 horn on a Space Age Electronics AV32 strobe plate

The math interventionist's office and main entrance vestibule have Simplex TrueAlerts

Finally, the social worker's office and the computer lab have Gentex Commander 3s
That is this system. Next time will be a school built on the same date but with a Simplex system. Just a preview. LOL
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Thomas Edgar Elementary School was built in 1965 as a one-story, 300-student elementary school. A four-classroom and media center addition was built in 1987, and a 8-classroom, art and music room addition was built in 2004.

Fire Alarm
Panel
  • Current System: Simplex 4100U INFOALARM
  • Original System: FireLite Sensiscan 1000 replacing a Standard UAX-3
Annunciator
  • Current System: Simplex 4603-9101 in front office
  • Original System: Unknown SAE model, replacing some soft of vintage Standard model
Voice Panel
  • Current System: Simplex 4003 in the cafeteria
  • Original System: None
Initiating Devices
  • Current System: Pulls are all Simplex 4099-9002 series pulls, all behind Stopper II Covers. Smoke detectors are all Simplex 4098-9601s, and heat detectors are all Simplex 4098 models. All AHUs have Simplex duct detectors.
  • Original System: Pulls were mostly FireLite BG6s, one Edwards 270, two BG12s and a RSG T-Bar, these all replacing Standard 200177 pulls. Smoke detectors were all Pyrotector Phoenix Series devices, many of which replaced the original Standard heat detectors.
Notification Appliances
  • Current System: Signals here are, for the most part, Simplex 4906-9127 horn/strobes. These are installed in the hallways, most offices, and classrooms. Some parts of the school, e.g. the media center, art and music rooms, and a few large classrooms have, due to their size, Simplex 4906-9128 horn/strobes. Restrooms have Simplex 4906-9101 strobes. The cafeteria has Simplex 4906-9151 speaker/strobes. Outside, there are Siemens U-HN-S17S-1 horn/strobes.
  • Original System: The school previously had Wheelock 7002T horn/strobes, with the ones in the hallways having dual projectors, these replacing Standard 350 horns. The classrooms that were previously the media center have System Sensor MA/SS24 horn/strobes set to 800hz continuous. Some classrooms had Wheelock 34T horns installed in 1988-1990. There was a Wheelock MT4-24-LSM replacing a 7002T in the kitchen. The 1987 building also used 7002Ts, along with an EH-DL-1 in the music room.
Interesting Fact
  • The FireLite system replaced the school’s Standard Electric Time fire alarm system after a lightning strike short circuited the UAX-3, taking the whole system with it.

Intercom
Head-End Rack
  • Current System: Rauland Telecenter ICS
  • Original System: Dukane
Admin Phones/Mics
  • Current System: Rauland TC4333 with Display at reception desk, in clinic, and in principal’s office
  • Original System: Handheld mic next to rack
Speakers, Call Switches
  • Current System: The hallways and media center have Rauland ACC1208 speakers. All classrooms, plus the art and music rooms, have Rauland ACC1300 speakers with 2305CS call switches. The cafeteria and exterior of the school has Viking paging horns.
  • Original System: The 1965 building had Tandy power horns in the hallways and cafeteria, and Edwards clock/speaker combos with call buttons in the classrooms. The 1987 addition had ceiling mounted Bogen speakers in the hallways and media center, with Lowell speakers and Rauland call buttons in the classrooms.
Bell
  • Current System: Chime tone over Intercom
  • Original System: The 1965 building had Edwards 340 bells in the hallways and cafeteria next to the fire alarms, and outside. The 1987 addition used Faraday 3040 bells in the hallways, art and music rooms, and Faraday 10 inch bells outside. Both buildings had buzzers in the classrooms clocks.
Clock System
Master Clock Panel
  • Current System: Rauland 2524
  • Original System: Lathem LTR4-128 replacing the original Edwards model
Clocks
  • Current System: All areas in the school have Rauland 2522 clocks. Hallway clocks are dual-facing units.
  • Original System: There was a mix of Edwards and Lathem analog clocks throughout the building.
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Horns and Strobes

Easy Industries is a 1 story soda manufacturing plant. The facility was built in 1979. The system is the following:

Main alarm panel:
Fire-Lite MS-5-UD
Ademco Vista 20p (Security panel)

Annunciators:
Fire Lite ANN-80
Honeywell Security Keypad (Tied to Vista 20p)

Initiating devices:
BG 12Ls
RSG RMS-1T-KL (Located in Loading bay)
System Sensor i3 smoke detectors
System Sensor Heat detectors
(All pull stations have stopper IIs on them)

Notification Devices:
Gentex SHGs (In the main office and lobby. Set on code 3)
Gentex GSS Strobes (In restrooms)
Gentex GX90s (In the janitors closet and break room. Set on code 3)
Gentex Commander 3s (In the boiler room. Set on slow whoop)
Gentex Commander 4s (In the manufacturing area. Set on siren)

Security alarms:
Honeywell Wave 2s. Located in office and lobby)
Amseco Beacon (Outside next to handicapped parking)
Amseco outdoor bell box. (Outside next to Loading bay)

Sprinkler protection:
Grinnell Fire sprinklers
Potter PBA Bell
not really active anymore
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

This is another school that I thought up of while I was on vacation which just sort of came to me and something that I thought would be interesting. It is a 6–8 grade school, but its called an intermediate school. This is Chagrin Falls intermediate school.
In most of the school, the alarms are Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 light plates.

Located in the band classroom, the writing classroom and in-school suspension rooms are Space Age Electronics 2DCD horns on AV32 flashers.

Two rooms, the auditorium and the library have Simplex 4903-9219 horn/strobes.

Over in the autism behavioral disorders classroom, there is a Simplex 2901-9838 horn on a 4903-9101 strobe plate.

The art classroom and the resource classroom have Wheelock A-MT horn/strobes.

Finally, the general music classroom, the STEM lab and the ESL classroom have SpectrAlert Advances.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

The last out of the three middle schools is Westfield Middle School.

In most of the school, the alarms are Edwards 892-2B horn/strobes.

Located in the lecture hall, the writing classroom and the in-school suspension classroom are Gentex GMS horn/strobes.

Two rooms, the band classroom and the health classroom have Wheelock 7002T horn/strobes.

Over in the computer applications classroom, there is a Federal Signal 450D horn with a VALS strobe.

The north hallway and the fitness room in the gym have Edwards Integrities.

Finally, the south entrance vestibule, the art classroom and the STEM lab have Edwards Genesis’s.[/quote]
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Spring Meadows Hospital is a 12 story hospital built in 1965. The main building was built in 1965. All others buildings in the area were built in the 1969-1972 time period. In total the campus contains 12 buildings including the main tower.

Main Alarm panels: The main 1965 installation was a old simplex 1965 fire alarm panel. In 1989 the panel died due to a generator failure in the hospital. Then a Fire Lite Miniscan 424A was installed in the service room of the hospital. The change of coded to non coded required a system replacement. Then in 2009 A Fire Lite MS-5-UD and a Fire lite MS-2 Were installed and all linked. The Fire Lite Miniscan 424A, MS-2 And the MS-5-UD Remain to this day.

Pull Stations: The original 1965 system had Simplex coded pull stations. All pull stations were coded to 4-4-4. When the system rehaul happened in 1989 Fire Lite BG 10s were installed in the building. The pulls have stayed the same to this day.

Signals: In 1965, The original signals were simplex 4040s with projector horns. In the 1989 rehaul
were wheelock single stroke chimes. The alarms have been the same to this day.

Smoke detector & heat detectors: In the original system there were no smoke or heat detectors. In 1989 System sensor strobe and heat detector combos were installed. The alarms are the same to this day.

Sprinkler System: The 1965 building had Viking sprinkler heads. A old Viking water gong bell is outside next to the hospital tower entrance. The system has never been changed.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

The setup for Oakwood high school which mostly has Faraday horns and their newest alarm happens to be SpectrAlert Advances. There are also 2 other high schools in the same district.
Hallways and other areas not mentioned have Faraday 6120 horn/strobes

The chorus, writing and computer applications classrooms have Faraday 5640 horns on Faraday 5415 flashers

The ESL and OT/PT classrooms have Wheelock 34T horns on Space Age Electronics AV32 flashers

The in-school suspension classroom has an Edwards Adaptahorn on an 802-2B strobe plate

The family and consumer science kitchen and the library hallway have SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes

The health classroom, alternative learning program classroom and the STEM lab have Simplex TrueAlert horn/strobes
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Brookfield apartment complex is a complex of apartments built in 1989. The complex contains 5 apartment buildings and there is 20 units per building.

Panels:
Fire Lite MS9200UDLS Fire alarm panel replacing a old Miniscan panel.
Ademco Vista 20Ps in every unit

Alarms:
Wheelock 7002ts in the apartment halls
Wheelock MIZ Mini horns with non ADA Strobes

Pull stations:
Fire lite BG 10s in 1 of the buildings
Unitec T bars in 3 buildings
Fire Lite BG-12s in 1 building

Control keypads:
Vista 20p keypads in all units
Fire Lite ANN 80s in 4 buildings
Fire Lite ANN80Fs in 1 building

Extra fire alarms devices:
Emergency shutoff switch in hallways when a false alarm occurs. (RSG Key operated only T bar)
Amseco BZ51 Motor horn on outsides of all buildings.
Carbon monoxide strobes in all rooms, (Wheelock alert strobe with clear strobe. roof mount.

Smoke detectors:
ESL Smokes in all buildings
System sensor smoke and heat combo detectors in all units

General signaling alarms:
Amseco bell outside of pool chemical storage for chemical spills
STI Stopper Stations in pool chemical storage (Linked to Amseco bell)
STI Stopper station in pool deck for pool drain shutoff
Blue Global fire control t bars in hallways for weather alert alarm activation
Blue gentex commander 3 (Connected to GFC Pull station)

Sprinkler system:
Grinnell sprinklers
Potter flow switches (connected to Amseco BZ51 Motor horns)
Auto sprinkler FDC Outside beneath Amseco BZ51 Motor horns
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Double Post. Sorry!
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

This is the second high school which I am going to do, which is New Utrecht high school.
In most of the school, the alarms are Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 flashers

Located in the library, there is a Space Age Electronics 2DCD horn on an AV32 flasher

Two rooms, the science lab and the nurse’s office have Edwards 892-2B horn/strobes

Over in the health classroom, there is a Federal Signal 450D horn with a VALS strobe

The psychologist’s office and the administration hallways have Simplex 4903-9236 horn/strobes.

Finally, the nursing classroom has Wheelock MT horn/strobes
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Mountain View Hotel is a 70 story hotel built in 2013. The building has 70 units per floor.

Alarm Panels:
5 Fire Lite 9200UDLS's that are all linked together for the complex's complete coverage
2 Voice Evacuation panels. 1 EVAX panel and a Wheelock SAFEPATH 4 Panel linked together and to the panels

Alarms:
Wheelock Square red speakers in suites.
Wheelock E70 Speaker strobes in hallways, Basement arcade, indoor pool, computer room, basement kids club, basement cafe, office, and the lobby.
Wheelock ET Vandal resistant speakers (red) in parking garage and outdoor pool areas
Wheelock MIZ Mini horns in restrooms and boiler room

Pull station:
Fire Lite BG 12s on 10 levels and basement areas
RSG T bars on 20 level, lobby, and office
RSG NC Model break glass stations on 20 levels
RSG T bars with the break glass attachment

RSG T bars with lift and pull covers on 15 levels

Smoke detectors:
Fire Lite Smoke and heat combo detectors
CO Detectors in hallways
ESL Smokes in suites
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

I am doing the third and final high school which did get a small upgrade recently but most of the horns in the system remains. This is the Bethel Park high school fire alarm system.
In most of the school, the alarms are Faraday 6120 horn/strobes

Located in the an upstairs corridor that leads to the upper natatorium seating, the band classroom, the autism behavioral disorders classroom and the family and consumer science kitchen are Federal Signal 450D horns with VALS strobes

Three areas, the natatorium, the outdoor cafeteria seating space and the television production studio have Faraday 5940 horns on Space Age Electronics AV32 flashers

Over in the adaptive gym, there is a Faraday 5640 horn on a Faraday 5415 flasher

The science lab, lecture hall and computer applications classroom have SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes

Finally the engineering lab, computer lab and the weight room have Wheelock MT horn/strobes
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

SpringHill Middle School is a 2 story middle school. The schools construction started in 1974 and was completed in in 1975. The school had a renovation in 2015 the simplex system was replaced with Fire Lite.

Panel:
Simplex 4208 installed in 1975. In 1984 a Simplex 2001 was installed and linked to the panel.
In the 2015 renovation the simplex panels were scraped and a Fire Lite MS9600UDLS panel was installed in the old panels place.

Keypads:
Fire Lite ANN-80 Red keypad

Alarms:
Simplex 4050s installed on Simplex 4050-80 light plates. In 1996 a Wheelock MT was installed in the Gymnasium. In 1999 a Wheelock MT was installed in the basement. Both MTs were set on Bell. In the 2015 rehaul Wheelock MTs were installed in place of the 4050s. All MTs including the 1990s ones were all set on siren.

Pull stations and detectors:
The original pull stations were Simplex 2099-9754 T-Bars installed by exits, gym, cafe, and boiler rooms. In 1992 a Fire Lite BG-10 was installed in the south boiler room. In the 2015 rehaul the pull stations were replaced with Fire Lite BG-12s. The Fire Lite BG-10 in the boiler room was kept.
The school had Simplex smoke and heat combos. In 2015 the detectors were changed to Fire Lite Smoke Heat combos.

Bells:
The original bell was Edwards Adaptabells. In 1999 a bell tone was played over the intercom and the bells were scraped.

Intercom:
In 1975 a Rauland Borg Telecenter was installed in the office. The system has never changed.