Make Up a System (2.0)

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:31 am

785 Student Elementary School
In most of the school, the alarms are Simplex 2901-9806 horns on 4903-9101 strobe plates

Located in the media center is a Simplex 4903-9252 horn/strobe (or the 4903 TrueAlert if you will)

One room, which is where art is held in has an Edwards 895B-001 horn/strobe

Over in the computer lab, the alarm is an older Federal Signal 450 (Simplex 4041) behind a Space Age Electronics AV32 light plate

The exceptional children classroom has a System Sensor MA/SS-24 set to 800 Hz but panel coded to code-3

Finally, outside the exterior main entrance, there is a Wheelock MT4 set to code-3 horn
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
LocalAlarm74
New Participant
New Participant

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:52 pm

Longview Elementary School is an older building dating to the late 1920’s. Originally the building held 450 students, but later was reduced to 350 as other buildings opened.

There were originally four fire alarms in the building, each a large electric metal bell, one each on the north and south ends of the first and second floor hallways, operated by a pull-rod system.

Over time, the pull rod system was removed but the bells were retained. Round Standard pull stations were installed at the two second floor staircases and by four of the five exterior doors. Ironically it was the main door that did not have a pull station.

Later, the round Standard pull stations were replaced with Simplex 4251 non-addressable stations without a central panel and the electric bells were replaced with Vibratone 350 horns on interior boxes, with continuous tones.

When the second floor was remodeled, the Vibratone horns were removed (they continued to be used on the first floor, though the warbled with age) and replaced with Simplex 4040’s mounted on wall plates.

Later, persons I’m the gym complained that they couldn’t hear the old 350’s from the first floor hallway, so an Edwards horn was installed in the gym.

To become code compliant, the most recent renovation includes replacing all pull stations with Simplex 4099 addressable units, and installed one at the front door. A Simplex 4004 control panel was installed, with 4903 strobe annunciators in each classroom and hallway.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:50 pm

750 student elementary school
In most of the school, the alarms are Space Age Electronics VA4 horn/strobes

Located in the reading and music classrooms are Standard 450 horns behind Standard 450 light plates

Two rooms, the multipurpose classroom and the science classroom have Siemens U-HNH horn/strobes

Over in the only prekindergarten classroom, the alarm is a Space Age Electronics 2DCD horn on an AV32 light plate

The health classroom has a Simplex TrueAlert

Finally the art classroom has a Wheelock NS
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: EpicFireAlarms
Instagram: epic_fire_alarms

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:55 am

EpicFireAlarms wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:13 pm
Normalville State University in Normalville, Ohio, is home to around 5,000 college students. The campus consists of seven residential buildings ranging in size from tiny eight-unit to massive twin nine-story dormitories. There are 14 other buildings of note on campus as well, including various academic buildings, a student center, a large athletics complex, a maintenance building, and a "student promenade" (basically a small mall with restaurants and other shops in it). When I have the chance, I'll post a new system or two from this fictional university.
Our next building is the student center on campus. Originally built in 1930 as an administration building, unsurprisingly there was no fire alarm system. The building was around 15,000 square feet, and consisted of a four floors. The first floor housed various administrative positions such as mail workers, secretaries, and university assistants, the second housed various offices for university higher-ups, the third floor housed a library of various records and documents, while the fourth floor was exclusively the residence of the university president.

Around 1955, following a fire at the next-door admissions office, the bottom floor of the building was reconfigured into an admissions office. As a result of this, the second floor was also reconfigured to house the offices that were normally on the first floor. This wasn't a major remodel, as many of the walls were temporary and only existed for a few months while the admissions building was being rebuilt. While no fire alarm system was installed in the building at this time, the fire definitely got the university thinking about fire protection...

By 1978, the university offices were among the most outdated on campus. While smaller projects had kept the building habitable, the university knew that ultimately the building was just too small and outdated (among other issues, being the only major building on campus without a fire alarm system) to continue to house administration. With this, work began on designing a new administrative building that would better fit the needs of the growing university (stay tuned for that system).

Three years later, in 1981, a new modern 32,000 square-foot administration building was completed. At that point, the old building was mostly vacated over the summer. While the vacation process took quite a while, with the sheer amount of documents that needed to be transferred, the new building was fully operational by early 1982. The 1981-1982 school year was also the last year that a president lived on campus, so as a result the entire building was abandoned by the summer of 1982.

Throughout the 1980s and 90s, the now-abandoned building continued to fall into a state of disrepair. Years of graffiti and arson seriously damaged both the inside and the outside of the building. What was once the center of campus was now a major eyesore. As a result, proposals for a new student welcome center within the building were introduced.

By 2002, work had begun on a massive, $48 million renovation and expansion of the building. The newly-remodeled 19,000 square-foot student center would house various student enjoyment activities, including a bowling alley, several lounges, a coffee shop, a theater, and a garden.

The student center opened in late 2004, to much acclaim. The architects managed to keep the original look of the building while completely gutting the inside. On the back side, a new 5,000 square-foot modern glass addition was constructed, housing the theater on the bottom two floors and the rooftop garden on top. But enough about the building... y'all just wanna hear about the fire alarm system.

The panel of choice was a Simplex 4010, with Simplex TrueAlarm smoke detectors and Simplex 4099 pull stations. The notification appliances chosen were white Wheelock NS's (and, of course, RSS's). The exit signs of choice were Lithonia Precise-series edge-lit units in red, with brushed-aluminum Lithonia Signature-series units installed where an edge-lit exit sign wouldn't have made sense. Emergency lights weren't needed, as the building had a backup generator.

-In 2010, two Wheelock AS's were found to be broken. They were each replaced with Simplex TrueAlert horn/strobes.
-The next year, another AS and a 4099 pull station broke. The AS was once again replaced with a TrueAlert, the 4099 with another of itself. At the same time, a Precise unit was smashed. It was replaced with a red Dual-Lite LE.

-In 2016, the lounge and coffee area of the student center were remodeled. Three AS's were replaced with TrueAlerts, and various other devices were relocated and/or replaced with an identical device in the process. The exit signs of choice for the new lounge were green Dual-Lite LE-series units. Around the same time, another Precise unit was found inoperative and was also replaced with a green LE.

The system remains. I'm sorry for going into so much detail about the buildings, but I always find it easier to picture a fictional system with at least some background on what sort of building it's installed in. Also, let me know how you feel about the addition of exit signs in the later part of the post. I figured that since a number of you are also exit sign enthusiasts, it might be fun to include them in my made-up buildings.
thegeet
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: Cesar Blanco

Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:28 pm

EpicFireAlarms wrote:
The notification appliances chosen were white Wheelock NS's (and, of course, RSS's).
NS or AS?
Last edited by kcin556 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reduced excessive quote
#marshalbattsismyidol
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:40 pm

One 730 student elementary school is set up like this.
In most of the school, the alarms are Edwards 892-1B horn/strobes

Located on the stage in the multi-purpose room is an Edwards 792 horn/strobe

One room, the psychologist's office has a Wheelock 7001T

Over in the computer lab is a Space Age Electronics 2DCD horn on an AV32 light plate

The art room is an Edwards Integrity mounted between the whiteboard and the door which flashes before the alarm goes off

Finally, the small guidance hallway has an Edwards Genesis
Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Castle Royal Resort, built in 1993, originally had an Edwards IRC-3 fire alarm system. Signals are Wheelock ET-1010 Speakers on Space Age Electronics AV33 Strobe Plates. Individual guest rooms had ceiling mounted Wheelock ET90 Speakers. Restrooms have Edwards 202 series remote strobes. Pull stations are Edwards 270-SPOs, and there are Edwards 2551F smokes scattered throughout, and a few ESL Heat Detectors are installed in required areas. Guest rooms have ESL smoke detectors. Edwards DH500F duct detectors are installed on the AHUs. System Sensor 2400 smokes are installed at each elevator landing for elevator recall.

In 1999, a few of the Speaker/Strobes were replaced with EST Integrity Speaker/Strobes.

In 2002, two 270-SPOs were replaced with EST Siga 278.

Between 2003 and 2005, a few of the Wheelock speakers were replaced with EST Genesis remote speakers.

In 2006, a number of DH500F smokes were replaced with EST Siga PS smokes.

In 2010, the resort announced that they would be undergoing a multiyear, multimillion dollar renovation and expansion, slated to be completed in 2014.

By late 2013, the Edwards IRC3 system was replaced with an EST3 fire alarm and life safety system. The new signals are ceiling mounted EST Genesis Speakers, with wall-mounted EST Genesis strobes. The dragon’s lair and the two restaurants have EST Genesis Speaker/strobes. The lobby and indoor water park has Wheelock STH Speakers on EST Strobe Plates. Pull stations are EST SIGA 278 series, and smokes are EST SIGA PHD detectors, they managed to keep the ESL heat sensors, but a few were replaced with EST Siga HRD detectors. The new duct detectors are EST SIGA HDs. They also had EST Siga smokes for elevator recall.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Tue May 01, 2018 3:11 am

The second and final 730 student elementary school is set up this way.
In the hallways and other areas not mentioned, the alarms are Edwards 892-2B horn/strobes

The only preschool classroom in the school has a Wheelock 7002T

Then the ESL classroom has a Federal Signal 450D horn with a VALS strobe

Next the reading classroom has a Faraday 6120 horn/strobe

Located in the art room is an Edwards Integrity horn/strobe set to code-3

Last, the psychologist's office in the administration hallway has an Edwards Genesis horn/strobe set to code-3
EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Tue May 01, 2018 7:15 am

thegeet wrote:
EpicFireAlarms wrote:
The notification appliances chosen were white Wheelock NS's (and, of course, RSS's).
NS or AS?
Uh... NS? :lol:
EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Tue May 01, 2018 7:44 am

EpicFireAlarms wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:15 am
thegeet wrote:
EpicFireAlarms wrote:
NS or AS?
Uh... NS? :lol:
(EDIT: Just saw what you were pointing out. The devices were NS's, not AS's. Sorry about that)
WhelenSirenFan
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: WhelenSirenFan

Tue May 01, 2018 4:36 pm

I made this one up last night.
My house.

A Simplex 4005 in my bedroom. A Spectralert classic remote strobe on the ceiling, a Gentex Commander 3 on the wall. A system sensor i3 for the detector, a BG-10 for the pull. In the hall is another i3. In the kitchen there is a Heat Detector and a BG-12. A L Series is on the wall. In the basement there is a RSG T-Bar and a MASS. In the garage there is a EST Genesis and a 270-SPO. In the living room there is a SIGA and a Simplex TRUALERT. Outside there's a weatherproof Spectralert Advance. Also in the Kitchen near the door is a simplex annunciator.

My office.
Gentex Commander 3s and 4s and BG-12s. A WGE in the locker room showers and on the outside of the school.
"May I please have 50 Cents?"
-MC 900 FT Jesus, in Tiptoe Through the Inferno
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Tue May 01, 2018 6:26 pm

This is a 722 student elementary school
There are Gentex GMS horn/strobes that are everywhere where a horn/strobe is needed which means they are the alarms in the hallways

The OT/PT room though has a Wheelock 34T horn behind a Space Age Electronics AV32 light plate

In the reading classroom, the alarm is a Fire Lite 450 on a Simplex 4050-80 light plate

Then in the math and music classrooms, the alarms are Simplex 2901-9806 horns behind 2903-9101 light plates

Down in the counselor's office the alarm is a Edwards 692-5A-003 mini horn/strobe

Last the two small hallways that are behind fire doors have Classic SpectrAlerts where there is only one each
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Wed May 02, 2018 10:10 pm

Landon Lake— a new neighborhood— was finished in December of 2012. Each house has their own Edwards FireShield system, but I'm focusing on one specific house facing the entrance of the neighborhood. The notification appliances are most all EST Genesis white Ceiling mounts w/ no fire lettering (first floor and basement devices are located on the ceiling, second floor devices are on the walls).

For the first floor, the family room, the living room, and a corridor connecting into a bathroom, the laundry room, and the spare bedroom are the only places to have horn/strobes, while the kitchen, dining room, bathroom, office, and spare bedroom contain remote strobes. The bathroom houses a single-gang weatherproof Integrity strobe due to there being a shower. A few spaces in the house like the front door entrance also have extra strobes in order to provide coverage. Exterior alarms are all weatherproof integrity horn/strobes, one in the garage, one on the porch, and one by the back door. 3 EST Signature smoke detectors— one in the laundry room/bathroom/bedroom space, one by a closet, and one in the living room are installed on the ceiling, each a foot away from the corresponding alarms. No pulls are found. All Integrities are lettered and wall-mounted, including the one in the bathroom.

For the second floor, there is only one horn/strobe at the top of the staircase. Yes, these are all ceiling mounted devices on the wall for the floor. The rest are strobes- one in each of the three regular bedrooms, two in the bathroom and two in the master bedroom, which itself has an alarm and so does the master bathroom part. The other bathroom has a strobe in the shower area and a strobe in the small toilet area, contrasting the master bathroom which only has an alarm in the shower area. Once again, all alarms in bathrooms are Integrity single-gang remote strobes. An EST Sig is found above the horn/strobe in the hallway, while detectors in each bedroom have EST Sounder Bases on them.

In the basement, there are 6 alarms scattered about, with only two of them being horn/strobes (one in the TV area and another above the bar). This is also the floor with the FireShield system located in the furnace room with a third horn/strobe above the system. The basement also has a bathroom with a Genesis strobe instead because there is no shower. Any closets and the crawlspace do not have any alarms. The only pull is an EST SIGA-270 next to the system, and smoke detectors are SIGAs next to any horn/strobes.

...and that is my go at a commercial house FA system.
draw
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Thu May 03, 2018 1:53 am

The first 700 student elementary school out of two.
Majority of the areas have Wheelock 7001T horn/strobes

A Wheelock 34T on a Space Age Electronics AV32 strobe plate is in the computer lab

Upstairs in the project classroom is a Wheelock 34 on a Space Age Electronics AV32 light plate

In the music classroom, there is a Simplex 2901-9838 on a 4901-9101 strobe plate

There is a SpectrAlert Advanced in the nurse's office

Finally, the art classroom has a Mircom FHS-240R Select-a-Horn/Strobe
Fire alarms are cool
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sun May 06, 2018 1:47 pm

A big strip mall was built in 1978, The main panel for all the stores was a Simplex 2001 panel. The ice cream store had Simplex 4050s on simplex light plates and the pulls where Siemens pull stations. A Subway had Simplex 2901-9838s on 2903-9001 light plates. Pulls where Simplex t bars. A clinic had Gentex shgs and Radiotronics T bars. A.S.A.P Computers had Wheelock 7002ts and Edwards ADA 270-spos. A office supply store had Wheelock Zns's. and cerberus pyrotronics pulls. All the store had Edwards heat detectors and traffic cone smokes.
I love EST, Radioinics, Simplex, Siemens, Gentex, and Wheelock.