Make Up a System (2.0)

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
HenBasket
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: HenBasket

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Any chance we can do a system collab like we did in the original MuaS thread?
Roses are red, heavy steel beam
I need a rhyme to finish this meme
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:50 pm

Well you could if someone was interested. I mean, I HIGHLY doubt most of my systems that I make up currently are still gonna be around and there had to be some sort of upgrades. You wanna update some of my schools, go ahead. The systems I come up with would NEVER happen in a million years (ie Simplex/Wheelock electromechanical, Wheelock/Edwards electromechanical, Gentex/Edwars electromechanical). I honestly just post here because it gives me an excuse to look up floor plans. LOL

Anyway this is the WC elementary school and there is another elementary school I will do next.
In most of the school, the alarms are Standard 450 horns behind Standard 450 light plates

Located in a 4th grade classroom, the Project Lead the Way classroom and a 3rd grade classroom are Simplex 2901-9833 horns on 2903-9101 light plates

One room, the OT/PT room, has a Siemens U-HNH horn/strobe

Over in a 1st grade classroom, there is a Space Age Electronics VA4 horn/strobe

The math intervention classroom has a classic SpectrAlert

Finally the music classroom has a National Time and Company C3 horn/strobe set to 2400 Hz code-3
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:54 am

Gingia Meadows Mall is a 2-story mall built in 1981 and features 6 outlet stores, a Macy’s, Target, JCPenney, Best Buy, Whole Foods, and a since-closed ToysRUs. There is also a Panera Bread hooked onto the mall.

Panels
Siemens FireFinder XLSV replacing a Cerberus Pyrotronics MXLV (Mall)
Notifier NFS2-640s (Macy’s and Best Buy)
Notifier NFS-320 (Panera)
Cerberus Pyrotronics XL3 (Target and JCPenney)
Pyrotronics System 3 (Toys R Us)
Simplex 4100U (Whole Foods)

Mall
Signals

The main mall areas have a bit of a mix to their alarms. Most of them are Faraday/CP ClearSpeak ceiling mounted speaker strobes (with FIRE lettering on the edge of the alarm plate, not on the strobe). Occasionally, there are wall-mounted speaker/strobes on pillars and entrances, but not all of them have them. Bathrooms all have Faraday 2705-Z strobes. However, due to renovation of the food court at the time of the new Siemens system being put in, there are Siemens SE-MC-CW and SEC-W speaker/strobes installed about, with the former always getting installed inside fast-food vendors. All small stores inside the mall have SE-series ceiling speaker/strobes installed around instead of the older Faraday signals. Some ClearSpeak NAs have also been replaced by SEs due to being spotted not functioning. A few pillars have ZR white wall strobes on both sides.

Initiators

All pulls are either Siemens MSM-Ks or CP MS-51s. There are a few Faraday Chevrons around, just not in public areas. Smoke detectors are CP ILP-1s and Siemens FirePrints.

Macy’s
Signals

The store has Gentex SPK4–15/75WR speaker/strobes on the basement floor and GXS strobes in the bathrooms. On the first and second floors however, everything is SSPK red wall-mounts with occasional ceiling mounts. All doorway entrances have the older SPK speaker/strobes inside them from the older system.

Initiators

All pulls are Notifier NBG-12s, installed near each exit. Older Fire-Lite BG-6s can be found in closed-out exits in the back of the building.

Smokes are all Notifier 2151s, however there are Siemens FirePrints installed near the mall/store intersection.

Target
Signals

Most alarms are Cerberus Pyrotronics MMT horn/strobes, installed on the pillars and outer wall of the enclosure. CP S15-S strobes are installed in the bathrooms, corridors, and the deli. The Starbucks and Pizza Hut Express both have a U-MMT horn/strobe. Finally, Target Optical, pharmacy, and other small enclosures have U-MCS strobes.

In non-accessible areas, it’s relatively the same alarms, with MMT horn/strobes being installed in places like the large storage/maintenance room and office corridors and S15-S strobes in individual offices and conference rooms. However Potter weatherproof Select-A-Horn strobes are installed beside the garages in the storage room which lead outside. A Potter-Select-A-Strobe can also be found in the cooler room for cold food/drink shelving.

Originally, there had been Faraday 6120s installed twice on each of the four walls, and a few more in staff-only areas.

Initiators

All pulls are Cerberus Pyrotronics MS-51s and smokes are ILP-1s with Siemens smokes around the intersection. Pulls are only placed near entrances from the outside and in emergency exit halls. Smokes are installed around the perimeter of the store and in the Starbucks/Pizza Hut express.

Original pulls were Faraday Chevrons. No smokes, however.

JCPenney
Signals

Everything is ceiling mounted Siemens HS-MC-Ws and HS-MC-CW horn/strobes, installed everywhere except for smaller enclosures like bathrooms, which have ZR-MC-W strobes. The bathroom corridor has a ZH-MC-CW horn/strobe. All visible doors have Siemens SLSWW-ALA amber strobes as a way of protecting for lockdown.

Original alarms were Cerberus Pyrotronics MTL-S15-Ss.

Initiators

All pulls are Cerberus Pyrotronics MS-51s again, however smoke detectors are all Siemens FirePrints. There are still CP ILP-1s in the staff areas.

Best Buy
Signals

Most signals are Wheelock Exceder white ceiling mounts There are a total of 6 horn/strobes and 6 remote strobes equally spread apart and patterned. A few Exceder horn/strobes are located near emergency exits. One wall-mounted Exceder horn/strobe is in the big TV enterence room, while ceiling strobes are in the house-room mockaries. These are also in bathrooms.

Originally, there were Simplex 4903-9101 strobe plates holding 2901-9833 horns. A few 9833 horns were mounted extra high on the wall for more sound coverage. One strobe plate towards the farthest end of the store housed a Cerberus Pyrotronics U-HN horn.

Initiators

All pull stations are NBG-12s. Some Cerberus Pyrotronics MS-51 pulls are in the emergency exit spaces. There are no smoke detectors.

Whole Foods
Signals

All signals are Simplex TrueAlert ceiling speaker/strobes. These are installed everywhere, including the bathrooms. A few TrueAlert speakers can be found by the entrance door and other smallish areas.

Initiators

All pulls are Simplex 4099-9001s, though they can only be found near the front of the store, and one of them is beside the mall opening. Smokes are TrueAlarms, and there are Siemens FirePrints by the intersection like all the stores except for Best Buy.

Toys R’ Us
Signals

All alarms in this vacant space are Pyrotronics rebrandings of Wheelock V7001s and 34s Most are installed on the ceiling, however some pillars have them too.

Initiators

Most pulls are Pyrotronics MS-501s, though a couple Siemens MSM-Ks are near the mall opening. There are also no smokes in this building.

Panera Bread
Signals

Most alarms are Wheelock LED Exceder horn/strobes and remote strobes, installed everywhere. Bathrooms have strobes only, and each individual stall has a ceiling mount strobe inside.

Initiators

All pulls are Siemens MSM-Ks and all smokes are Siemens FirePrints.
draw
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:32 pm

This is the setup of Oakland elementary school which is in the same district as WC Petty and sort of has a bit of a different system setup when it comes to alarms.
In most of the school, the alarms are Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 flashers

Located in the music classroom, one fifth grade classroom and the speech office are Space Age Electronics VA4 horn/strobes

Two classrooms, one a kindergarten and the other a fourth grade classroom have Simplex 2901-9833 horns on 4050-80 flashers

Over in the art room is a Federal Signal 450D with a VALS strobe

The nurse's office and the in-school suspension room for 4th and 5th grade have Simplex TrueAlert horn/strobes

Finally, the social worker's office, the gifted classroom and the Project Lead the Way classroom have Edwards Integrities
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Westland Elementary School was built in 1985 as a HUGE one-story elementary school. The setup at the time was like this -
A 2-story 10 classroom, art and music room addition was finished in 2014. The school was renovated during that time, the existing music room was converted to additional guidance office space, and to the PE office. The existing art room was converted to the school's STEM lab.

Panel
Siemens XLS, replacing the original FCI FC-73.
Siemens SSD annunciator in the main lobby replacing the original graphic annunciator.
Sigcomm DVS-25 in the cafeteria/MPR.

Initiating Devices
Pull stations are all Siemens rebranded RSG T-Bars, behind Stopper II covers. Smoke detectors are all Siemens FirePrint FP-11s. Additionally, a few Siemens FDT421 heat detectors are installed in a few areas. AHUs all have APC Duct Detectors with Siemens monitor modules.

Originally, the school had FCI MS-2 pulls and ESL 500 smoke detectors, and a couple of Edwards 280 heat detectors.

Notification Appliances
For the most part, the school has Siemens rebranded Wheelock ZNS horn/strobes throughout, with ZRS strobes in the restrooms and areas requiring additional strobe coverage. Outside, there are Siemens rebranded Wheelock ASWP horn/strobes. In the cafeteria/MPR, there are Siemens rebranded Wheelock ET70 speaker/strobes. Above the main FACP is a Wheelock 43T bell used as a trouble bell (this was retained from the old system).

The original system had FCI HP horns with dual projectors with FCI rebranded Federal Signal VALS strobes (on mounting plates) above the horns in the hallways. The original art and music rooms had FCI HP horns without dual projectors with VALS strobes mounted above the horn! Some HP horns were replaced with Gentex GMH, Amesco BZ-54VT, and Wheelock MT horns. Some VALS strobes were replaced with Gentex GXS strobes.

Clocks/Bells/Intercom
The intercom system is a Rauland Telecenter ICS, replacing the original Bogen system. The master clock panel is a Rauland 2524, replacing a Simplex 6400 that replaced the original Simplex 2350.

For speakers, the hallways, cafeteria/MPR, and media center have wall-mounted Rauland ACC1208 speakers. All classrooms have ceiling mounted Rauland ACC1200 speakers with call-in switches on the wall. Outside, there are wall-mounted Atlas Souldier speakers. Previously, the school had Bogen baffle speakers throughout, with classrooms having call-in switches. For clocks, the entire school has Rauland digital clocks throughout. Before that the school had Simplex and Lathem analog clocks.

The bell is a chime tone over the intercom. Originally, the school had Simplex 4-inch bells throughout.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:07 am

Barrington middle school, a school that services grades 6 through 8, has a system like this.
In most of the school, the alarms are Standard 450 horns on Standard 450 light plates

Located in the fitness lab, the sensory and physical needs classroom and the nurse's office are Simplex 2901-9838 horns on 4903-9101 strobe plates

Two classrooms, the health classroom and the chorus classroom have Gentex GMS horn/strobes

Over in the robotics classroom, there is an Edwards 892-2B horn/strobe

The gaming technology lab and the ESL classroom have Siemens U-MHU horn/strobes

Finally, the guidance hallway, STEM lab and math interventionist office has Siemens U-MMT horn/strobes
kcin556
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: kcin556

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:13 am

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:32 pm
This is the setup of Oakland elementary school which is in the same district as WC Petty and sort of has a bit of a different system setup when it comes to alarms.
I actually know both of these schools in reality ... it would be interesting to check to see how close the made up systems are to the real ones!

Both are undergoing renovations so I suspect a new system will be in order for both buildings.
Nick - Administrator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 on YouTube
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:09 am

I probably ended up using the new floor plans for the system. Basically I just google what school level I wanna do and click what pops up. I got W.C. Petty and Oakland from here:

https://www.antioch34.com/cms/lib/IL022 ... eaking.pdf
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Didn't have time to put up a system before so I am gonna put one up now. This is Jeffersontown high school.
In most of the school, the alarms are Edwards 892-2B horn/strobes

Located in the weight room, band and graphic arts lab are Gentex SHG horn/strobes

Two rooms, the industrial technology classroom and the Edgenuity lab have Wheelock 7002T horn/strobes

Over in the JROTC classroom, there is an Edwards 792 horn/strobe

The college preparation classroom and the individual student accelerated program classroom have Edwards Integrities

Finally, the seminar classroom, machine shop and youth service center have classic SpectrAlerts
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:34 pm

Coolsville Junior High School was originally built in 1932, and had a new auditorium building and gymnasium/athletic building built in 1974.

The original 1932 fire alarm system was an ancient Autocall system of some kind, set to the 4-4 coding. The alarm signals were old 10" Autocall single-stroke bells. There were a couple of pull-rod setups in the original structure with actuator switches tied into them for tripping the Autocall system, along with Autocall non-code break-glass stations in other areas.

When the new auditorium and gymnasium buildings were built in 1974, the district decided as long as new construction was going on, they may as well renovate the original 1932 building, and in the process they installed a 24-VDC Simplex 4208 panel, located in an electrical room near the janitor's office, right next to the now-inactive original Autocall panel. The two new buildings also had 4208 systems installed, each located in an electrical room. A Simplex 4308-type annunciator was installed in each building's main entrance/lobby.
The alarms installed throughout the campus were Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 light plates, the earlier recessed version. The system was originally set up so the horns sounded on Continuous while the lights flashed via a coding wheel in the 4208 panel.
The pull stations were mostly Simplex break-glass 4251-30s, but the auditorium building had single-action 4251-20 pulls for some reason. In the gymnasium, the pulls had red wire covers installed to prevent them from damage. They kept the pull rods and trip bells in the original 1932 building, and wired the actuator switches into the Simplex system. 4262-series ionization detectors made by Statirol were installed near exits and in stairwells, along with in the cafeteria and the auditorium. Other areas mostly had 4255-1 heat sensors installed, but in the electrical/mechanical rooms, boiler rooms and surrounding areas, 4265 heat sensors were installed.
A new Simplex master time system was installed to replace the original 1932 Simplex master clock. The old unbranded school bells stayed intact in the 1932 building, while the new buildings had beige 4090 6" vibrating bells installed on semi-flush trim plates, while the gymnasium had two 10-inch Simplex 4090 bells flush-mounted behind grilles. All the clocks were the square Simplex 2310-type clocks with the silver face and black hands, mostly 12-inch, though the gymnasium and auditorium had the 16-inch version installed, and some smaller rooms had the 10-inch version. The hallways had double-sided clocks mounted on the walls.

For the most part, the system stayed as-is. But in 1982, a Simplex 4051 horn in the auditorium failed, and was replaced with a Simplex 2901-9833 horn.
In 1985, one of the 4050-80 light plates in the gymnasium was damaged by a flying ball, so a Space Age AV32 light plate replaced it (keeping the original Simplex 4051 horn), and a wire cover was installed over that and the other alarms in the gym.
In 1988, a Simplex 4002 panel was tied into the original Simplex 4208 panel in the main building for added-on duct detectors. The coding was changed so both the horns and lights pulsed on Slow March Time. The old Simplex annunciator got replaced with a larger Simplex-branded graphic annunciator showing the RTU locations.
In 1991, the 4208 panel for the auditorium building failed, so a Simplex 4002 panel replaced that, installed next to the 4208 cabinet that was now gutted and used for terminal wiring. The old 4262 ionization detector in the main lobby got replaced with a 2098-9201 photoelectric smoke detector head on a 2098-9637 2-wire base.
Between 1993 and 2002, some Simplex pulls across the campus that failed were replaced with Edwards/AIP 270-SPO pull stations.
In 1998, the boiler room in the main building was redone, and in the process, the duct detectors all got replaced with newer Simplex models, each with a 2098-9806 test station linked to it. The 4002 panel got replaced with a Simplex 4004 panel, which was then replaced in 2004 with a Simplex 4010 panel. The coding stayed on 20bpm March Time. The boiler room had a Simplex 4903-9236 electronic horn/strobe installed, along with a 2098-9443 heat sensor.
In 2004, the Simplex 4051 horns in the auditorium building in the backstage area failed, so it was removed and a Simplex 4903-9426 TrueAlert horn/strobe was slapped onto the 4050-80 plate.
In 2008, a few of the old Simplex pulls found to be inoperable were replaced with 2099-9756 dual-action pulls.

In 2016, the Simplex 4208 in the gymnasium/athletic building failed, so a Simplex 4007ES panel replaced it, and all the old alarms got replaced with Simplex 4906-9127 TrueAlert horn/strobes, slapped onto the 4050-80 light plates! The old ionization detectors and some heat sensors got replaced with 4098-9601 TrueAlarm photoelectric detectors on 4098-9788 bases, but the heat sensors in the boiler room and in the locker rooms stayed intact, along with the 4251-30 pulls.

Yes, I based this off the school the main characters go to in "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo," one of my favorite animated shows since I was a kid (and just turned 30 years old this week!)
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:08 am

Another floor plan I got off the internet to make a system up for, this is Discovery elementary school.
In most of the school, the alarms are Simplex 4903-9219 horn/strobes

Located in the math interventionist and the ESL interventionist offices are Simplex 4051 horns on 4050-80 flashers

Three rooms, the OT/PT room, reading interventionist office and the chorus classroom have Faraday 6120 horn/strobes

Over in the music room is a Gentex SHG horn/strobe

The resource classroom has an Edwards 692 horn/strobe

Finally, the newly renovated kindergarten wing has SpectrAlert Advances
Fire alarms are cool
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Seabird Campus is a 2 story campus. The alarms in the cafe are EST integritys. The kitchen alarms are Simplex trualert strobes. The gym alarms are Wheelock 34Ts. The Class alarms are EST strobes. The outdoor alarms are Potter horns. The pulls are Potter metal t bars. The panel is a Simplex 4010. There is a Wheelock booster panel in the subbasement under the cafe. One day a fire happened in the kitchen a EST smoke detector went off. It was destroyed by the fire. The campus was remodeled in 2018. The alarms where all replaced with Wheelock wall mount speaker strobes. The outdoor alarms and the pulls stayed the same. It is like this to this day.
iMAC
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:07 am

Hudson middle school which was built in 1977 and had many alarm changes over the years now has this system currently.
In most of the school, the alarms are Gentex GMS horn/strobes

Located in the art technology classroom, there is a Gentex SHG horn/strobe

One shop, the scene shop has an Edwards 895B-001 horn/strobe

Over in the orchestra classroom, there is a Simplex 4041 on a 4050-80 flasher

The Disabilities Life Skills classroom has a SpectrAlert Advance

Finally, the weight room has a Gentex GOS set to 800 Hz
Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Tide Park Middle School was built in 1962 as a 2-story middle school. The school gained a new media center/classroom addition in 1989, and was renovated during this time. Another classroom addition was built in 2005.

Panel
Notifier System 5000, replacing the original Faraday panel, tied into a FireLite MS-9050UD
Graphic Annunciator in Main Office
FCI 7100 for elevator recall

Initiating Devices
The 1962 and 1989 buildings have a mix of Notifier LNG-1R, Edwards 270-SPO, and RSG RMS pull stations. One pull in the 1989 building is a Notifier BG-12. Smoke detectors are a mix of Notifier CPX-551, ESL 700, and System Sensor i3 series devices. A few Edwards heat detectors are installed as well.
Originally, the school had Faraday rebranded Chevron pulls, and Chemtronics heat sensors.

The 2005 addition has FireLite BG-12LX pulls and SD355 smoke detectors.
For elevator recall, there are ESL 700 smoke detectors at each elevator landing, and in the machine room as well. There is an ESL heat detector in the machine room for shunt trip.

Notification Appliances
The 1962 and 1989 buildings have System Sensor MA-SS-24 horn/strobes set to 800 hz continuous. Restrooms have System Sensor SS24M strobes. The media center has two Gentex SHG horn/strobes. Some classrooms have System Sensor P2R horn/strobes replacing broken MA-SS-24s. The boy’s locker room has a Mircom Select-A-Horn/Strobe. There is a Wheelock NS in the kitchen, and a Potter FHS-24 in the art room. Outside, there are FOS 6120 horns on Simplex 2903 strobe plates.
Originally, the school had Faraday rebranded IBM 4030-2 horns.

The 2005 addition has Wheelock NS horn/strobes throughout, with RSS strobes in restrooms. Outside, there are Wheelock ASWP horn/strobes. Signals in this area do code-3.

Clocks/Bells/Intercom
The PA System is a Dukane MCS350, replacing the original Rauland system. The master clock panel is a Dukane 24A71, replacing the original Simplex model.

For speakers, the 1962 and 1989 buildings have wall-mounted Dukane speakers in the hallways, media center, cafetorium, locker rooms, and gym. Classrooms have Dukane clock/speaker combos with call-in switches. The offices have ceiling mounted Dukane speakers. Outside there are Atlas Soundolier baffle speakers. The 2005 building has ceiling mounted Dukane speakers in the hallways, with Dukane clock/speaker combos and call-in switches in classrooms. Outside, there are Dukane horn speakers. Originally, the 1962 building had Rauland baffle speakers throughout.
For clocks, the whole school has Dukane digital clocks throughout. Prior to 1989, the school had Simplex analog clocks.
The bell is a chime tone over the intercom. Previously, the school had Simplex 6 inch bells throughout with 10 inch bells outside and buzzers in classrooms clocks.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:09 pm

Braswell high school, built in 1982 has a system that is most comprised of Edwards components. Here are the alarms that are utilized in the system.
In most of the school, there are Edwards 895B-001 horn/strobes

Located in the journalism classroom, the ESL classroom and the in-school suspension room are Edwards 892-2B horn/strobes

Two classrooms, the theater classroom and the choir classroom have Edwards 792 horn/strobes

Over in the orchestra classroom, there is a Simplex 2901-9806 horn on a 2903-9101 strobe plate

The drama classroom and the A/V technology classrom both have System Sensor MA/SS-24 horn/strobes set to 2400 Hz continuous

Finally, the law classroom, the food science classroom and the dance studio have Gentex Commander 1 horn/strobes