Simplex 4904-9340

I have recently acquired a Wheelock RSS-24100C, and while looking at the box, i noticed it had ‘MANUFACTURED FOR SIMPLEX’ on it. Under the Wheelock model number, there is an additional model number, which says ‘PID 4904-9340’. I attempted to look this model number up using the Simplex model number checker, but it says it’s invalid. Does mean my Wheelock RSS is actually a Simplex alarm in disguise??

Most likely the other way around; Simplex would sometimes use Wheelock’s devices, especially for outdoor notification, as for awhile Simplex didn’t have their own line of weatherproof signals.

Yes. The college where I did undergrad had a few buildings that got 4100U systems in the late 2000s-early 2010s that have Wheelock speaker-strobes in outdoor areas and loading docks. Similar to how they used Gentex for mini-horns before they introduced their own. Simplex weatherproof signals are still pretty new and few places have them.

I’ve even seen Simplex use Wheelock devices in instances where they weren’t even necessary to use over Simplex’s own devices. This was quite a while ago, but I saw a brand new Simplex 4100U install with all Wheelock speaker/strobes as building’s notification appliances.

On a bid job the decision as to whether to use Simplex or Wheelock devices is made by the specifying engineer. It is not up to Simplex. The 4100U/ES power supplies have Wheelock sync built in so no external sync modules are needed. Most Wheelock devices are rated as Special Application Appliances with Simplex panels so the power supplies do not have to be derated to Regulated 24 current limitations.

I’ve seen E70s used quite a bit in Simplex systems. Go to New York City, for example, and E70s are typically the norm regardless of system type. Plus, a lot of places actually specify Wheelock NAs on Simplex systems. I found something from the University of Washington specifying just that: E70s, Exceders, or ZNSes with Simplex panels and pulls.