Finally A Trainee Technician!

I am happy to announce that I am now a CFAA trainee technician! Took a few months to make it happen but it did! Going on to the future, I now have to take an online theory test pretty soon, and then I will be applying around looking for a job, so that I will be able to do my practical exam as well. Once those two are complete, I will be a full technician.

Just thought I would share with everyone my progress so far, very happy that I am within arms reach of starting my career in the Fire alarm industry!

Congratulations! Best of luck with your exam and job search.

I’m glad to hear that everything worked out well! It’s going to be nice to have a CFAA technician on the forums since I don’t think we have many members with that particular certification.

Thank you both! I haven’t done the test yet; been a little busy lately with my other job and some other things. I have been studying in my spare time though, preparing myself for it. I have to get at least 80% and it’s closed book so I want to make sure I’m 100% ready for it!

Congrats! I assume this is a canadian thing, we don’t really have anything in an official capacity in the US outside of nicet certs.

You should probably go work for DE though since they’re in your backyard!

Thank you! Yeah, it never used to be that way at first. After a fire in a highrise apartment in the GTA in the 90s (where the system was not working), they decided that all fire techs had to be registered to the CFAA and have to take tests/practicals to obtain full technician status. Not like the good ol’ days… my teacher said when he started in the 70s, the only items a fire tech needed was a screwdriver, a pack of cigarettes, and a lighter. :lol:

I’m hoping actually! Whatever I can find though, will be good enough for me!

When you get a job and you are able to inspect fire alarm systems by setting them off and walking through the school, see if you can get a recording of the noise.

I will! I’m hoping I’ll be able to get some video too, if I come across a unusual system (I know there’s still a fair bunch in my area). All depends on who I’m working for eventually, and their policies.