Fire-Lite MS-9600

Hi All,

I’m really thinking about taking the plunge and buying my first “proper panel” (I have an ADEMCO/Honeywell Vista all-in-one…I HATE IT).

I have found a nice Fire-Lite MS-9600 that appears to be from the pre-Honeywell Pittway era. I’ve done a little research and they seem to be a nice, semi-expandable addressable system that is pretty flexible for the price point. Am I correct on that assumption?

The panel in question has, according to the seller, been tested to ensure that it is 100% operable. It has also had it programming defaulted. All resistors are in place. Batteries look like they may also be included. Most importantly, the price it right :smiley: .

Lastly, do the NACs on an MS-9600 output FWR or filtered DC? I like my Simplex 4903-9236 and don’t want to fry it, my 4051, my 2901-9838+4903-9101, or my 2901-9833+2903-9101…

Is this a panel worth investing in? I know it’s addressable, but I can acquire compatible initiating devices later. Please let me know!!

Thanks!

MS-9600 NACs output FWR current. NewAgeServer created this handy guide a few years ago for Fire Lite and Notifier panels on the topic of FWR: <URL url="Notifier & Fire-Lite: Filtered or Full Wave Rectified? text=“viewtopic.php?f=60&t=6616”>Notifier & Fire-Lite: Filtered or Full Wave Rectified?

kcin556,

Guess who is going to look into a Potter QuadraSync PSN-series power supply.

They can sync System Sensor, Wheelock, Gentex, and Potter/Amseco devices at the same time (1 protocol/NAC).

Just a little helpful info, an addressable pull station compatible with the 9600 is the Fire Lite BG-12LX and as far as I know that’s the only addressable pull station they manufacture. If you would want to use some of your conventional pull stations on your collections on your system with the 9600, you would have to get a Fire Lite MMF-300 monitor module, you would need one module per conventional device on the system.

Advice from an experienced collector to a new collector: Don’t go with addressable for your first panel unless you really think you’re comfortable with it. They’re relatively complicated and owning one can get expensive fast since you need to find addressable devices for it.

Have you read Destin’s excellent guide on buying your first FACP? If not I urge you to do so. Just so you know what you’re getting in to here.
<URL url="So you want to buy a FACP... text=“viewtopic.php?f=60&t=6110”>So you want to buy a FACP...

I’ve installed a PSN-106 power supply before. They’re fantastic, extremely well made, easy to install and use, and… yeah.

ALL addressable devices made by Fire-Lite except the REALLY old stuff whose model numbers end in “ID” (such as PSID, SDID, etc) are compatible with the MS-9600. And also, Fire-Lite used to manufacture a BG-10LX which was an addressable version of the BG-10, meant for use with these.

Oh okay…

It seems like the addressable options are pretty flexible for these…

Quick question:

Do Fire-Lite devices have proprietary addressable performance? Or are they like the Gamewell-FCI 7100 (as long as it’s Honeywell, it works)?

Just wondering…

Notifier (except the “N” series devices) and FCi devices will not work on a Fire-Lite panel.

However it really is not much of a problem because Fire-Lite addressable devices are really abundant and relatively easy to find for a reasonable price.

Well…

The MS-9600 sold. I’m currently snooping around on eBay for another panel.

Does anyone here have experience with the Silent Knight SK-5208? They look like nice conventional panels and there are several on eBay for decent prices. Are they easy to work with? I know the manuals can be found online…

Okay…

Being a Cerberus Pyrotronics fan, and at the recommendation on here to look into the SXL/SXL-EX, I did some snooping on eBay.

I found a first-generation Cerberus Pyrotronics SXL. It looks to be NOS. However, the seller claims that they have no keys, the cabinet appears to be locked, and they must be out to make a heck of a profit, as the price is…outrageous…

Any thoughts??

Also, are there any manuals to be had? FireAlarmResources.com only has the sell sheet…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/cerberus-pyrotronics-control-panel/321681453197?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D329d8e20f11448c68b5163b4679bedbb%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D331937702110

That’s an outlandish amount of money for a panel.

Here’s two listings for SXL-EX panels, both under $200:

This one is used, at $175 or Best Offer. 2 available. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Siemens-Panels-SXL-EX-Fire-Alarm/401171888639.

This is one is used as well, at $125 or Best Offer. The listing has currently ended, but he will most likely relist it again. 7 available. http://www.ebay.com/itm/131933822674

Neither of these are my listings.

The full manual can be found here: http://firealarmresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Siemens-SXL-EX-Installation-Operation-and-Maintenance-Manual.pdf

kcin556,

I have been watching both of the SXL-EX listings and have been debating over whether or not to snatch one up…

As for the SXL with the insane sticker price, I’m considering placing an offer around $100. It’s been sitting on eBay for at least 6 months, so I can’t help but wonder if the seller is getting antsy to sell it and I have to buy keys for it…

Would the programming sequence be much different between the SXL and SXL-EX?? I know that you use the 4 Function Keys (Ack, Reset, Drill, Silence) to program the system as opposed to DIP switches…

That listing has been around since the later part of last year. However, it is still not a good idea to put in an offer that low. You don’t want to offend the seller. Would it really affect you at all if it did? Probably not. Regardless, it is still not the best option.

As for the programming, I believe (but cannot confirm) that the programming steps have not been changed. I’ve been told that other than the redesigned board layout, the panel has remained largely unchanged since it was designed in the 90s.

If you opt for the SXL-EX, I will gladly assist you with setup or any issues you experience. Good luck!

Thanks kcin556 (or Nick, if that’s okay)!!!

Personally, I’m not a huge fan of the post-Siemens-takeover stuff (save the omnipresent System3 and MXL). I personally want to see the trademark Cerberus graphic next to the Cerberus Pyrotronics wording. However, it seems as though the SXL-EX hasn’t really changed since before Siemens showed up to the party and Wheelock’s lawyer’s came knocking (I miss the U-Series and F-Series signals :cry: :cry: ) so I’m open to owning one.

I may put in an offer for the first-gen SXL. If it’s rejected, I haven’t really lost anything. The SXL-EX option is still on the table, so don’t worry :smiley: .

Any further thoughts on the SXL-EX or first-gen SXL???

Absolutely! I kinda prefer going by Nick on the forums anyways.

If you truly want the Cerberus Pyrotronics branding, you could simply purchase the Siemens SXL-EX and transfer the components to a CP enclosure at a later time: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Siemens-Cerberus-Pyrotronics-EN-SX-Fire-Control-Panel-Black-Enclosure-315-095994-/251273552920. There is nothing on the SXL-XMAIN board or the transformer that identifies the equipment as Siemens, so it would essentially be like the real thing.

Either way, you should go with the “guts” of the SXL-EX model rather than the original SXL. It will be much easier to locate manuals or parts if necessary.

Nick,

I must ask one further question concerning Cerberus Pyrotronics equipment…

Are the newer electronic Faraday manufactured signals reliable? I only have personal experience with MC-S17-F horn/strobes (“F-Series”). I’ve seen videos of the U-MMT, U-HN/HNH, U-MHU, and U-MHST signals (“U-Series”). I’m really considering purchasing a couple, regardless of whether or not I purchase an SXL-EX.

Any thoughts??

I have no experience with these device, so I can’t give you any recommendations. However, my best guess based on previous Faraday products is that they are probably pretty well made.

Anybody who has dealt with this series of devices, please feel free to chime in!

The “U” series signals were very reliable. I still see a lot of systems that still have them installed. They are some of the nicest looking modern fire alarm signals as well, IMO.

The only problem with using the U series of signals on a Fire Lite MS-9600 is that (correct me if I’m wrong) since the MS-9600 outputs FWR (Full Wave Rectified) power through the NAC’s, they may not sound the best expecially the UNH/UHN’s. I say this because when I used my Siemens UMMT-S17 on my old panel, a Silent Knight SK-2 which also outputs FWR, it didn’t sound very good.

I’ve seen (but never heard) what I believe to be U-MMT signals once in person, installed in a renovated portion of our district’s largest high school. Their MXL system was originally installed in the mid-90’s to replace whatever had replaced the original 1970s Simplex system. A handful of Wheelock EHS-DL1 and EHS-EL1 signals still remain active from a 1980’s overhaul, replacing what could have been flush-mount 4050/4051 horns (can’t tell you what either system was, though). The remainder is comprised of Cerberus Pyrotronics MTS-15/75 horn/strobes (Wheelock MT-24-LSM), and Cerberus Pyrotronics F-Series electronic horn/strobes (not sure what model, 15/75 strobe). Lots of Simplex 4251-20’s are still active, along with some added Cerberus Pyrotronics MSI-20Bs. There are FP-11 smokes in the renovated area, but I can’t recall what the rest of the building has.

Hopefully my first panel will output FIltered DC. If not, I’ll save up for a Potter PSN-106 or maybe an Altronix power supply…