Fire Alarm IoTs

I think they should stay separate. Things safe-guarding life shouldn’t be messed with like that.

Hell, just last Friday a huge IT company DYN got ddos’ed by some guy hijacking IOTs devices like DVRs and smart tvs! Using a simple open-source program easily downloaded from on the web! And its such a simple program, most people would be able to use it. What is really scary is that people didn’t even know their devices were being used for this purpose…

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3135285/security/ddos-attack-shows-dangers-of-iot-running-rampant.html

It scares the absolute shit out of me… :shock:

Things like Fire alarms and things dedicated to protecting life and property. Its a risk that is too big to take. Can you imagine the law-suits? :roll:

Code won’t allow it because of the inherent security risks of doing so.

Can you imagine if somehow some malware author found a way to write a piece of malware for internet-enabled panels? He could sound the alarm remotely, disable features, even take out the entire system, leaving the building vulnerable should a real fire occur.

I’m all for the Internet of Things, but there are some applications where they just need to remain the way they are, and life safety is one of them.

I hope that real life doesn’t turn into Mega Man Battle Network, where literally everything is connected to the internet.

code doesnt allow remote command and control in america, although its possible and readily available on panels in europe.

What about remote software updates through the Dialer?

dialers are a one way thing usually, and a remote software update would be worthless anyways. after a software update you have to test so many devices on the system to make sure it took and is working properly.