EXTREMELY RARE:EDWARDS 271-SPO

I won this on an eBay action back in march of 2016. It has NO glass rod tube, and is numbered a 271-spo. It is completely brand new from the box because it is defective. Some people have suggested I replace the switch but i don’t think I will because of how rare this thing is. The only other one like this that i ever seen on youtube was filmed by dragonboy9838. If anyone has insight on this and why its so rare i ask that you post a reply. thank you!

I don’t think those are rare at all.

This is cool. Thanks for sharing!

I disagree. I don’t think we’ve ever seen this variation on the forums before. The similar Edwards 270-SPO pull stations are exceptionally common, however.

I have never seen a 271-SPO either. 270-SPO pulls are extremely common but I have never seen one without the glass break rod feature. Anyways, the switch from a 270-SPO should fit in this pull and work just fine.

Ok. I guess I just got the 271-SPO confused with the 270-SPO because the model numbers are very similar.

270-SPOs are everywhere. I can safely say I’ve never seen a 271, even with spending much time in areas with a ton of Edwards/EST products. Nice find!

Do you happen to know what the difference is between a 270-SPO and a 271-SPO, aside from the lack of a break rod?

Other than it being numbered a 271-spo, its just like any other old 270-spo with the older Edwards shield.

Very rare find, I’ve been trying to find one of these things for years!

The only one I have ever come across was installed in a small church in Braintree, MA. Other than that, I’ve never seen one anywhere else, just in a few videos on youtube.

Believe it or not, there are several in service at my old high school! They’re wired to an antique Edwards AC system with some old 3-- series Fire Horns. (I never got a chance to check out the labels. They could either be the 360s or 380s depending on the volts they pull) These things are super LOUD. However, since it’s an AC system there are no smoke detectors, the panel doesn’t latch, and there are no remote strobes. My guess is that one of the 271-SPO’s features is that its’ switch is rated for high AC voltages. Amazed this system passes inspection every year.

Well, it’s most likely grandfathered in.
Off topic, why do we call it that?

Even if it’s grandfathered, it could still not pass due to deterioration.

It refers to a “grandfather clause” in a law. In general, it means that an older law will continue to apply to people of a certain age, while younger people will be held accountable to a newer law. For example, if you live around the Great Lakes, think of boating licenses and PWCs. Anybody born before 1972 is not required to hold a boating license to operate a PWC. Anybody born after 1972 is required to hold a license. In this case, the “grandfather clause” refers to the exemption of people born before 1972 from licencing requirements under this law.

In relation to fire alarm systems, it means that systems installed before a new law or code was implemented will continue to be bound by the code that was in effect when the system was installed, and are exempt from newer codes.

So in bog’s case, the system is old enough not to get replaced if the owners don’t wish to?

The simple answer is yes, however there are still other factors. First of all, the system could flat-out fail, at which point it would need to be replaced. Secondly, if the building undergoes a major renovation, it is likely the newer codes would be enforced on the structure, including on the fire alarm system.

I’ve also heard of some municipalities passing legislation mandating that all structures comply with a new code, regardless of age. I believe Chicago did that at one point with either sprinkler systems or exit signs in buildings, or maybe it was both, but don’t quote me on that. I know there’s currently a small effort to do that again, this time with single-family residential sprinklers.

It’s amazing I made it through 4 years there without more than a few minor system malfunctions! It’s woefully poor fire protection for a school, just a couple heat detectors in closets and the kitchen and other odd places. And obviously the pull stations we are discussing. And I would agree this system is only allowed to exist because it performs the same as it did when installed and so the only codes it has to adhere to are the codes that existed when it was installed. I’ll try to find a picture of the FACP, but from what I can remember it’s this creepy big red Edwards box with one “AC milliampere” gauge in the center. Though I never got to check out the specifics of the wiring, I am virtually certain this system uses a series-wired NAC sometimes referred to as a balloon loop. I’m pretty sure the aforementioned 271-SPOs have been in place since the system was installed, and one feature I do know they have is that they have a little “arm” that bends out when the station is opened to keep the station door hanging just a little over 45 degrees adjacent to the backplate. Pretty sure it’s available on a few other older 270-series pull stations too.

Nice find! Judging by the logo and lettering, this must be from the original series that came out at the same time as the 125x-series coded pulls. Just like with the coded pulls, the “0” probably means break rod, and the “1” means no break rod. Probably from the early 1950’s.