SXL-EX CPU FAILURE?!???!??

My Siemens SXL-EX panel went into trouble and I hit acknowledge to…well…AKNOWLEDGE it. And the panel started beeping like crazy and the relays went haywire and created this horrible vibrating sound, then it all stopped and a little LED starts flashing, and next to it it says “CPU FAIL” okay so what does this mean!!! Is my panel broke. Forever because I just got it…UGH…nothing in the manual helps either, has anyone else have this problem? The power supply works fine…soooo what!!!

Whoops!
I don’t have a panel, so I can’t say anything. But what I can say is that I was considering getting one of these panels used on eBay, but now I think I’ll pass. I would build a homemade panel but it seems too complicated, and I don’t even know how to solder wires!

Power cycle the panel. See if the issue resolves itself. If not, power it down for several hours and try again.

Let us know the results.

Power cycle?

Whoops, sorry. To “Power cycle” just means to power down and then reapply power to the device to restart the circuitry.

It keeps making the same “demon possessed” sound!!! I’m seriously gonna cry omg I think there’s a good chance it reached the end of its life

make sure the boards aren’t touching the chassis causing shorts, and make sure nothing is behind them making connections that shouldnt be made. check all your other wiring too to make sure nothing is crossing.

Yep, already checked!
NACs were checked as well.
No lights are lit on panel, and no display on the Segment Display. However initiating circuits still have power because smoke detector LED’s are still blinking.

That’s a real bummer. I concur with others that leaving it unplugged for a while is probably your best bet. If it is fried, I’m sorry to hear that. These conventional panels really should be able to handle a lot more that what you’ve put it through.

With any panel, I do advise checking all your connections for short circuits, making sure no circuits are accidentally tied to other circuits, and there is no voltage feeding back towards the panel before you land wires and power it up. We’ve had technicians fry panels a lot more expensive than this one due to dumb mistakes like having NACs feeding back onto SLC, etc. Not saying this is what happened, but you can never check too many times before landing things on the panel.

With this panel, the CPU appears to be on a removable chip. Perhaps that is all that needs to be replaced, though you can never really know for sure, and I have no idea where to look for a replacement.

Unfortunately I tossed a few old Fire-Lite panels recently. They were not great panels, but better than nothing. I’ll let you know if I end up salvaging anything soon. Perhaps an old relay based Gamewell or Simplex panel, that should be virtually impossible to kill.

All I pressed was the acknowledge key then it died…what??? But yeah I’m gonna leave it unplugged for the remainder of the day then try again tomorrow.

I’m wondering if you snapped a trace on the board or popped a solder joint on a component with this action…the board is so flimsy, button presses exert a lot of pressure back to the PCB. I’ve been concerned before that the board in my panel might bend enough to cause damage.

Well on this particular panel, The buttons are projected from the circuit board and connected to the main board by the use of a ribbon cable. So this does not seem like it is the problem. Buttons are light too. So… Im probably going to find another panel or mother board and trash this one sadly

I own and operate an SXL-EX. The plastic assembly that holds the buttons braces directly against the board, and applies pressures to some of the traces when a button is pressed. I would definitely check those areas for damage.

I’m wondering if you snapped a trace on the board or popped a solder joint on a component with this action…the board is so flimsy, button presses exert a lot of pressure back to the PCB. I’ve been concerned before that the board in my panel might bend enough to cause damage.
[/quote]

Well on this particular panel, The buttons are projected from the circuit board and connected to the main board by the use of a ribbon cable. So this does not seem like it is the problem. Buttons are light too. So… Im probably going to find another panel or mother board and trash this one sadly
[/quote]

I own and operate an SXL-EX. The plastic assembly that holds the buttons braces directly against the board, and applies pressures to some of the traces when a button is pressed. I would definitely check those areas for damage.
[/quote]

NOPE! not the problem…Im thinking i will just go ahead and trash the panel, hopefully finding a new one so my house has a fire alarm system again! rolls eyes dramatically

If you are interested in covering the cost of round-trip shipping, I would gladly attempt to perform a repair on the board if you sent it to me. The minimal shipping costs would be far less than a new unit.

Let me know if you are interested.