FA panel and bulk mains

I can’t remember the code right off and am having trouble find it as I have not run across this in 15 years. I have an engineer trying to install a fire command center in the same room with a pre-action valve in it. I remember a code, might have been the building code, that you couldn’t install the fire control panel int he same room that had a feed main in it. Anyone remember this?

Probably in NFPA 101 if anywhere. I’ve got an old copy and can look it up. But as far as installing a fire alarm panel in the same room as a sprinkler riser, I don’t see why it would be an issue. See it all the time.

IBC 2012

SECTION 911 FIRE COMMAND CENTER
[F] 911.1 General. Where required by other sections of this code and in all buildings classified as high-rise buildings by this code, a fire command center for fire department operations shall be provided and shall comply with Sections 911.1.1 through 911.1.5.
[F] 911.1.1 Location and access. The location and accessibility of the fire command center shall be approved by the fire chief.
[F] 911.1.2 Separation. The fire command center shall be separated from the remainder of the building by not less than a 1-hour fire barrier constructed in accordance with Section 707 or horizontal assembly constructed in accordance with Section 711, or both.
[F] 911.1.3 Size. The room shall be a minimum of 200 square feet (19 m2) with a minimum dimension of 10 feet (3048 mm).
[F] 911.1.4 Layout approval. A layout of the fire command center and all features required by this section to be contained therein shall be submitted for approval prior to installation.
[F] 911.1.5 Required features. The fire command center shall comply with NFPA 72 and shall contain the following features:

1. The emergency voice/alarm communication system control unit.
  2. The fire department communications system.
  3. Fire detection and alarm system annunciator.
  4. Annunciator unit visually indicating the location of the elevators and whether they are operational.
  5. Status indicators and controls for air distribution systems.
  6. The fire-fighter’s control panel required by Section 909.16 for smoke control systems installed in the building.
  7. Controls for unlocking stairway doors simultaneously.
  8. Sprinkler valve and waterflow detector display panels.
  9. Emergency and standby power status indicators.
  10. A telephone for fire department use with controlled access to the public telephone system.
  11. Fire pump status indicators.
  12. Schematic building plans indicating the typical floor plan and detailing the building core, means of egress, fire protection systems, fire-fighting equipment and fire department access and the location of fire walls, fire barriers, fire partitions, smoke barriers and smoke partitions.
  13. An approved Building Information Card that contains, but is not limited to, the following information:
    13.1. General building information that includes: property name, address, the number of floors in the building (above and below grade), use and occupancy classification (for mixed uses, identify the different types of occupancies on each floor), estimated building population (i.e., day, night, weekend);
    13.2. Building emergency contact information that includes: a list of the building’s emergency contacts (e.g., building manager, building engineer, etc.) and their respective work phone number, cell phone number, email address;
    13.3. Building construction information that includes: the type of building construction (e.g., floors, walls, columns, and roof assembly);
    13.4. Exit stair information that includes: number of exit stairs in building, each exit stair designation and floors served, location where each exit stair discharges, exit stairs that are pressurized, exit stairs provided with emergency lighting, each exit stair that allows reentry, exit stairs providing roof access; elevator information that includes: number of elevator banks, elevator bank designation, elevator car numbers and respective floors that they serve, location of elevator machine rooms, location of sky lobby, location of freight elevator banks;
    13.5. Building services and system information that includes: location of mechanical rooms, location of building management system, location and capacity of all fuel oil tanks, location of emergency generator, location of natural gas service;
    13.6. Fire protection system information that includes: locations of standpipes, location of fire pump room, location of fire department connections, floors protected by automatic sprinklers, location of different types of sprinkler systems installed (e.g., dry, wet, pre-action, etc.); and
    13.7 Hazardous material information that includes: location of hazardous material, quantity of hazardous material.
  14. Work table.
  15. Generator supervision devices, manual start and transfer features.
  16. Public address system, where specifically required by other sections of this code.
  17. Elevator fire recall switch in accordance with ASME A17.1.
  18. Elevator emergency or standby power selector switch(es), where emergency or standby power is provided.

The command center is only supposed to have fire related things in it, and we always have to submit a layout to the AHJ and get it approved. The AHJ could deny the layout if it has pre-action mains in it, and you could point it out to the AHJ and recommend he do just that.

Thanks a lot!