Hospital system.....

Okay, the hospital I work at has genesis looking devices in the wall. At first I assumed, “these are just strobes and a voice message comes from somewhere else.” But looking on all the walls and ceilings, no speakers anywhere. So I came to the conclusion that they are chime/strobes. I decided to take a closer look at them and saw a shiny silver disc inside of them. They were in fact HORN strobes. These are located about 10 feet apart and in all locations of the hospital. The main panel is unknown but there is a touchscreen on it. I found this to be pretty concerning because if this were to go off, someone could have a stroke or heart attack. There are other genesis devices with red, green, amber, and blue strobes. The amber ones say ALERT and the blue strobe ones are in fact chime strobes signaling a closing overhead roll down door.

Do you guys think it is okay for horns strobes to be in a hospital?

Relax, they’re probably still chime/strobes. Both the horn and the chime use a piezoelectric speaker.

horn strobes are used in lots of hospitals still. i’ve actually seen chimes used in certain areas and horns in the rest of hospitals quite frequently.

Genesis chime strobes actually utilize a small speaker, not a piezo like the SpectrAlert advance series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg3HBDUf4yk - The one on the right is the chime.

Never heard of a hospital using horn/strobes as an alarm system and I would think that’s pretty miserable because of how loud they can be. The local hospital over here has Wheelock ET70 speaker/strobes replacing Simplex chimes on 2901 light or strobe plates. There are still some of them in the old areas.

I remember the hospital I was a maintenance worker at years ago mostly made chiming sounds on speakers for the fire alarm (a massive Simplex system consisting of a 4100-series system tied into a 2001 setup, with various devices from the 80s to the present). But a couple of wings actually had horns; the radiation therapy wing had Space Age 2DCD horns on AV32 light plates, and the family suites wing had Simplex TrueAlert horn/strobes.

My response to that is have fun in the radiation wing if the alarms go off! The 2DCDs at my high school were so painfully loud and there was only one in a hallway (and the only other alarm in the hallway was at the other end) and that was enough.

We have two types of alarms in the radiation wing and they are right next to each other:

White genesis horn/strobes with FIRE lettering code-3
And White genesis horn/strobes with blue strobes on continuous (I think) for MRI and radiation junk.

In the basement where the trash place is, there are four white gentex commanders with amber strobes two on each side of the wall and one is two feet from the ground and another above it is two feet from the ceiling. They go off when the radiation detectors detect radioactive waste passing through and they are set to the whoop tone and they go off quite frequently and are loud and out of sync. That’s Fun!

That’s a cool general signaling setup!
Can you get a video of it?

I will try to, yeah! I’m not down their often but I will for sure take pics (secretly) and record the sound