Are Integrities Good?

Yep, so I just won a bid for an Edwards Integrity for 13 bucks which is pretty good, but what is all of your guys’ opinion on them? I think they look pretty cool and my specific model syncs with all genesis devices to. So how are they?

Besides the disgusting tone they produce, they get the job done.

Why does everybody hate on the Integrity? Does it sound different in-person?

Yeah, they suck. The sound they make in person sounds worse than in videos, mostly because all of them are set to High Volume.

I only heard an Integrity in person once 11 years ago as the apartment complex outside my junior high school had them and they were testing the alarms one day. I didn’t really think they were that bad. I actually kind of liked them.

M’kay so the one I bought is white, but is it safe to use spray paint on it to paint it red? Or is there another kind of paint I should use…this is going outside, since it’s outdoor rated, but the white will not look good outdoors…thanks in advance!!!

I’d just keep it red if I were you.

It’s not red. I want to make it red.

I meant keep it white. Sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh haha!
I may just use glossy spray paint that can be used with plastic…

I’ve always been under the impression it is bad to paint a fire alarm though.

It really depends on the type of paint and the texture and thickness of the material. And as long as it is red or white.

Half of the rooms in my school have intergritys :shock: :shock: :shock:

Please do not bump old topics. One of the BIGGEST rules here.
Take care.

Even though on every fire alarm, it specifically says “DO NOT PAINT”

A little bit of the time though you can see companies ignore that rule and just paint over it anyway so they can try to make it look like the scenery of the room that the alarm is in.

That doesn’t make it okay, though.
I’d recommend you keep the white one and hold off on painting it so you can buy a red one. No sense in ruining a perfectly good alarm with an unnecessary paint job.

Seconded, painting a fire alarm is almost always a bad idea. Almost all AVs are labeled “Fire Alarm Device - DO NOT PAINT.” If you choose to paint a signal, be extremely cautious about painting over the grille for sound output - if you paint in there, you’ll almost certainly ruin the piezo/sound output quality, especially if it’s a speaker/strobe. Certain paints can also damage the plastic or are combustible, and that will alter the signal’s fire-resistance/cause the housing to weaken over time. Painting AVs in buildings is illegal in most jurisdictions since it is against UL and NFPA regulations to use a fire alarm device in a manner that it was not intended to be used, and painting is expressly prohibited by the manufacturer via the label.
In my old high school, which uses Edwards 364 (I think) 12VAC Fire Horns, the signals in the cafeteria, gym, and locker rooms are all painted the color of the wall. Not sure if it would have been against code back in the 60s but clearly they shouldn’t have painted them since the sound they produce is much weaker and less consistent than their unpainted functioning counterparts in the rest of the building. Only reason they haven’t been replaced is because its a series AC NAC, meaning the whole system would have to be upgraded.

I think that back in the 60s the laws about fire alarms were more lax then they are now so I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some fire alarms that were painted back then.