Smallest system with voice-evac in your area

What’s the smallest fire alarm system in your area that uses voice-evacuation?
In my area (Eastern Massachusetts), this would probably have to be the Weston Community Center (sometime from the late 1990’s) - it’s probably less than 7,000 square feet!
The panel is a Simplex 4100.
The pull stations are 4099-9003’s, the smoke detectors are newer TrueAlarms, and the signals are horizontal 4903 speaker/strobes.

There’s a seminary building near me, which is approximately only 2700 Square feet, and they have an EST voice evac system. I’ll try my best to grab photos soon. When I looked inside the building through the doors, I saw a SIGA pull station, an EST Genesis speaker strobe (It didn’t have the 560hz label, obviously), and I think they had a Mircom annunciator. I could be wrong about the brand of the annunciator though. They appear to have integrity speakers on the exterior of the building.

A small three-storey building located on my university’s campus has a Simplex 4100ES with TrueAlert speaker/strobes. I’m not sure of the building’s exact size, but I would estimate it to be of approximately 10 000 square feet (including the basement). Oddly enough, the control panel itself has no microphone, so there must be a remote microphone installed elsewhere in the building.

My guess is that a voice-evac system was required for this application since the building’s ground floor is occupied by a restaurant. The two superior floors house standard office/meeting space.

There’s a little clinic in my city with about 5 offices, about the size of two conjoined average sized houses with spectralert classic speaker strobes.

That Simplex panel appears to be tied in to an EST voice-evacuation system of some sort because I see what might be an EST SIGA module (the white single-gang module) above the panel. Still quite unusual…

It does indeed appear to be some kind of SIGA module. However, I haven’t seen any other EST components in this building, so it’s possible that they simply used an EST cover plate (without a SIGA module) to enclose that backbox. This wouldn’t be surprising since the system is serviced by Edwards.

The smallest system with voice evac in my area would have to be the remnants of the Mallard Creek Shopping Center in Round Lake Beach, IL. However, it wasn’t always that way.

Mallard Creek was constructed in 1961, and used to be a large shopping center, anchored by Walmart and Dominick’s, which were connected by several acres of typical strip mall. At some point during the 1990s, the shopping center was remodeled and a small section of new strip mall was added along the south end of Dominick’s, in addition to the installation of an Edwards voice evacuation system. There was a great deal of floor space, so it made sense to have voice-evac in the facility.

Unfortunately, the majority of Mallard Creek was demolished during 2014 and 2015. However, as part of the redevelopment plans, the small 1990s structure was left intact. Sure enough, the Edwards voice-evac system was retained in the remaining building.

Here’s some images of Mallard Creek before and after demolition, with the remaining building noted in each.

Before Demolition:

After Demolition (and construction of new Meijer):

Are there any flashing LED’s on that module?

I’m not sure. I hadn’t noticed that module until you pointed it out.

My School has a 4100U Simplex system with White Truealert Speaker/strobes and a red Simplex Rectangular 4903 Speaker/strobe near the commons, they have Simplex LifeAlarm Speakers on 4903-9101 strobe plates in restrooms. and in common areas they have Wheelock LSM Remote Strobes.

Orlando, Florida has a lot of small businesses with voice-evac. Raleigh, North Carolina has a few with voice-evac, and Courtyard Marriott Southpark in Charlotte, North Carolina has one too, and I saw it went off in person, Rammy, Me, Scotty, Girard, Ariela, Amy Rose, and I panicked, ran out the door! Chrissy screamed, [redacted by moderator].

You know that could possibly be illegal what she did right?

Before right around 1970, you would have been correct. Here’s a quote that explains the Supreme Court’s ruling in 1919:

[quote] The idea of falsely shouting "fire" in a crowded theater arose from the Supreme Court’s 1919 decision in the case Schenck v. United States. The Court ruled unanimously that the First Amendment, though it protects freedom of expression, does not protect dangerous speech. In the decision, Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote that no free speech safeguard would cover someone "falsely shouting fire in a theater and causing a panic."

[/quote]

This ruling gave rise to the “Clear and Imminent Danger” test. More recently, the Court has ruled that speech must also be intended to incite “imminent lawless action” in order to be criminalized.

Regardless of this ruling, I have redacted the original text of the post, as we do not condone any action which may endanger building occupants or bystanders during an emergency on these forums.

Smokey Bones Restaurant in East Tailsland Valley has a voice evac system, like EST Integrity Speaker Strobes in the restrooms and EST Genesis Speaker Strobes in the main area. The Church in Charlotte, NC for my Great Grandfather’s Funeral has Spectralert Speaker Strobes. Sadly, there are a couple remote strobes in common areas.

What about Billy Goat Tavern in Chicago? When I was there the only device on the system I saw was a single Wheelock E-50. Normally I’d think that this was part of a larger system, especially being in downtown Chicago, but this is an older detached two-story building, maybe 5,000-8,000 square feet at most. Part of me almost thinks the system is tied in with Trump tower, since (this might be hard to explain if you’ve never been to downtown Chicago before) Billy Goat Tavern is actually below the surface streets, and Trump tower is sort of kitty-corner and above it, although the two buildings aren’t attached and must’ve been built at least 50 years apart. It’s really strange, but maybe someone knows the story behind it.

Honestly Chicago’s kind of a cheat, since every building in Chicago— big or small— has a voice evac system. I remember a McDonalds in the middle of a small park in the middle of the city, not connected to any building, and it still had E70s and RSS strobes.

True, but I’ve still seen a few buildings (or at least a few ground-level shops) in the downtown area with horn/strobes. Plus, one single speaker/strobe in a building is just plain bizarre. When I think of voice-evac, I usually think of a large building with hundreds of devices.

Probably because of the connected skyscrapers all those systems just go off with each other. A Walgreens there had 4 e50s, a couple clothing stores had SINGULAR Advance Speakers (1 of the remote advance speakers had fire lettering whats the model # for that?) and Blick Art Materials had two ET1080-LSM-24s. And that’s only naming 3, there’s a whole lot :lol:

Lake Receptions in Eustis, FL has an EST voice evac system. EST Genesis and Integrity Speaker/Strobes and strobes, with SIGA Smokes, and 278 series pull stations. I think this may be an EST Quickstart.