Does a Simplex 4903-9236 require a sync module??

Hey,

I was just wondering if the simplex horizontal mounted “truealert” sounding alarms require a synch module to function, like the truealerts do…let me know if y’all know anything.

Thanks!

The -9236 is a free-run model. Models ending in -94** are 4-wire and just need a NAC set to 60 bpm march time.

The newer versions such as the 4903-9252 are selectable free-run or SmartSync and can be either/or. Same with 4-wire TrueAlerts like the 4903-9425. The strobe flashes whenever power is cut, so I assume it would work with the old 60 bpm method, too (but I need someone to back me up on this).

Yes, 4 wire TrueAlert A/V’s are selectable. I just leave mine on free run and let the 4004’s NAC 1 (coded NAC) code the horn to whatever and hook the strobe to NAC 2 (which is for strobes as it cannot be coded).

If you want to use the -9236 as a 4 wire alarm, you must cut the R7 and R8 jumper resistors on the back near the terminals. If you fail to do so, you may damage equipment, the alarm itself, or the panel/power supply operating it. But if you use it as a two wire you don’t need to do that but you still have to jumper wires from H+ to S+ and H- to S-.

I thought the -9252 was the TrueAlert in a 4903 body though?

Also, you may find this 4903/TrueAlert model checker helpful
https://thefirepanel.com/fabg/simpcheck.php

It is. It’s used for retrofits nowadays.

So the 9236 ISN’T a TrueAlert then like what was claimed? Because it sounds nothing like one.

Correct, the 4903-9236 is not a TrueAlert Horn/Strobe. The OP just mentioned that it sounds like a TrueAlert, I don’t think anybody tried to assert that it was in fact a TrueAlert.

The 4903-9252 is not branded as a TrueAlert either. It is simply a 4903 series rectangular horn/strobe that uses the same circuitry as TrueAlert horn/strobes do.

Ahhh yes that’s what I meant and that’s for clearing that up guys!!!

But it seems those “new” rectangular 4903 horn/strobes are just used to replace existing 4903 alarms that have died or something. (For example, you have a mid-90s Simplex system withe electromechanical 4903 horn/strobes and one of them fails, it can easily be replaced with a 4903-9252.) I’ve seen TrueAlerts frequently used in retrofit applications, usually having them mounted on some kind of adapter plate.

But that isn’t always the case even when there are old 4903s that need to be replaced. On one of brettman273’s videos on YouTube, a 9219 was replaced with a SpectrAlert Advanced.

They actually did that at my school; replaced a dead 4903-9104/2901-9846 combo in the auxiliary gym with a 4903-9252.