Las Vegas systems!!!

So i recently got back from vegas, and theyve got some WEIRD setups. Most if not all of the major buildings had edwards genesis voice evac systems but they only use ceiling mount devices ON the walls. this was weird to me because they take up so much extra space and they just look bad. One restaurant i went to, Shake Shack (a better IN’n’OUT) had these devices on the ceiling painted TAN which is weird concidereing the celings were brown. They did not blend at all. All the hotels i visited had Cerberus Pyrotronics voice evac systems. All of the outdoor devices were wheelock AS’s (which were everywhere) with the exception of one SpectrAlert Classic.

The miracle mile mall:
Gentex commanders
simplex mini horns
edwards integrity speaker strobes
edwards integrity horn strobes
simplex speaker strobes
All ceiling mount mounted on the walls, except the Commanders and mini horns. All of these are in the vicinity of each other and all have FIRE printing on them.

Give it a few years and they will all be replaced with SpectrAlert Advances. LOL

Or the new L-Series.

Or whatever equally crappy replacement SS comes out with next!

System Sensor is too worried about making their devices look “futuristic.” Granted the Advance and L-series have a very unique design compared to what we’ve seen from everyone else, but the L-series especially, it will only look “good” in certain types of installations. Personally I think the design and sound of the Classic was the best System Sensor ever produced. If only they made a mounting plate with screw terminals for it…

I agree. I saw one L series horn strobe in an installation in a mall store last weekend and at first I thought it was a knockoff or something because it looked rather odd to say the least…not that Honeywell is really that common in my area anyways because Simplex dominates most of the market here, but Honeywell is getting an edge in small installations like this given that the 4006, Simplex’s only conventional panel nowadays has too much capacity for such small installs (betting they had a Fire Lite MS-2 or MS-4, however the smoke detectors looked rather addressable looking (had the two polling green LEDs that turn red in Alarm condition which makes me think it could be an MS-9050UD or something but that still seems too big for a small clothing store in a mall sporting Wheelock MT-24-LSM’s and a Simplex 4100 Classic system with no pull stations, only MAPNET II Hochiki TrueAlarms from the mid 90’s.

Unless it was an i3 conventional smoke detector with a separate green and red LED, then it was likely an addressable Notifier or Silent Knight smoke detector you were talking about. And you never know, even the small McDonald’s in my area is using an MS-9050UD for what I believe are about 20 or so points (~4 pulls, ~8 smokes, ~5 ducts, ~3 sprinkler monitors) and it’s likely because addressable systems, modules, and sensors lend themselves better to selective fan shutdown, duct smoke locating, etc.

Painted alarms are incredibly common in Las Vegas. The example you mentioned reminds me of a tan EST detector (on a white ceiling, no less) I saw at a hotel in that city:

Here are a few other examples of painted alarms from Vegas:

1 Like

It is illegal to paint fire alarms.

Well it might be but that won’t stop some people who will do it.