EST 792-7A-005 backbox?

Just wondering if these alarms came with a backbox at all. They seem very small and I can’t see small alarms getting a backbox.

I saw some with matching backboxes on eBay once.

Here are the mounting options shown on the 792’s installation instruction sheet. The 897-series backboxes and trim plates offered for these horn/strobes seem to have been carried over from the 880/890-series devices (such as the 882 or 894).

This appears to be the auction mentioned by Simplex 2903-9101, showing a 792 on a standard 897B-012 surface box.

Yup! That was it. Maybe I’ll get one.

Is the backbox red or the same color of the horn or is it a different color? And last question: can ANY alarm have a backbox, regardless of how small or what they are? (Speaker, Chime, Bell)

Available in red or beige.

OK. Thanks for the information. I’m glad that I could get it. I really wasn’t coming up with any information online at all. But for the second part of my question, can ANY notification appliance have a backbox?

Yes.

OK. Thank you. That is all I wanted to know actually. Glad I have the information. I would love to see a backbox on a mini horn/strobe in real life even though I know its very unlikely to be set up like that. LOL

If by backbox, you mean surface mount backbox, yes, any alarm device can. Usually it’s done when cutting into the wall is not desired or practical. (Retrofits or solid masonry walls.) Often standard 4 inch square or 1-gang steel boxes are used, though it’s not as pretty as a manufacturer-specific box.

Just to clarify, as far as I understand, electrical codes require all devices where wires are terminated to be installed on a backbox of some sort, either inside or on the surface of the wall or ceiling. I’ve seen exceptions, but most devices you see in the field do have a box behind them.