fire alarm set off due to smoking.

I’m wondering, back in the day when smoking was allowed inside in lots of places like restaurants and bars, did the smoking commonly set off the fire alarm? Nowadays places don’t typically allow smoking inside so this is not an issue.

Probably not as smoke detectors weren’t real common back then plus people probably smoked outside.

It happened to my Dad’s co-worker in the late 70’s/early ‘80’s. They were at a meeting or convention and he (the co-worker) went out into the hallway to smoke, triggered the alarm system and the door closers.

Not an actual alarm, but a few years ago when my grandfather was changing the light in the hallway, he was smoking which set off the smoke detector. It was a Kidde 900-0102 dual smoke and CO detector. I thought it was funny. :lol:

Yep. It’s common for household smoke detectors to be tripped by people smoking.

And cooking, and showering, and sawing, and baking, and straightening hair, and ironing, and using hairspray, etc. etc.

OH YEAH AND SMOKING :lol: :lol: :lol:

The household smoke alarm goes off when someone smokes, warning them that they need to quit smoking.

Not in my restaurant, but that’s probably because the system at my work has no smoke detectors whatsoever; they’re all heat detectors.

We used to see the odd one from people smoking in stairwells, etc. It was a big selling feature for Alarm Verification back in the day.

Mine was pretty similar that it involved smoke, but I remember one last thanksgiving at my aunt’s house where my younger cousin blew out one of the candles for some reason, and the smoke from the candle made it’s way towards the smoke detector (right above us) setting the alarm off. That was exciting…