7002T question

Is the 7002T-24 essentially a 34T-12 and a WS-12 wired in series? I know that series wiring adds the voltage of two components together, so it would stand to reason that this is the case.

The only thing that makes me wonder is that the 7002T’s horn is listed as being quieter than the 34T, so maybe it is two 24-volt devices in series.

I actually believe the horn and the strobe on the 7002T are both 24V, because:

1. The 34T-12 sounds higher pitched than the 34T-24: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjWv0tXcvS8 And the 7002T-24 sounds more like the 34T-24.
  2. If the 7002T-24 was a 34T-12 and a WS-12 wired in series, then the 7002T-12 would have to be a 34T-6 and a WS-6 wired in series, and as far as I know Wheelock never made 6-volt versions of their horns or strobes, unless they specifically designed them for the 7002T-12.
  3. This guy took the strobe off a 7002T-24, and it sounds just like a 34T-24: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzz3PZXRQ_8 Note that an overvolted 34T-12 won’t sound like that.
  4. This other guy actually wired a 34T-24 and a WST-24 in series, and it also sounds just like a 7002T: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F92MK3-_-CI And I highly doubt he powered them off 48 volts.
  5. What you mentioned about the 7002T being quieter than the 34T.

*Note that this all also applies to the non-T versions of the devices.

If they were wired in series, the horn wouldn’t skip every time the strobe flashes. The skipping is due to current loss.

You got it backwards. If they were wired in parallel the horn wouldn’t skip, but since they’re wired in series, it does. You could test this out with a 34T-WS (or a 34T and a WST as the guy in one of the links above did), if you wire the positive of the strobe to the positive of the horn, the strobe will flash while the horn sounds cleanly, but if you wire the positive of the strobe to the negative of the horn, it will sound exactly like the 7002T (pretty much any 4-wire appliance will skip if you wire the horn and strobe in series, although it’s less evident on electronic horns).

Yep…when working properly, it sounds like a normal 34T-24 to me, even in person, too. The strobe was removed long before I got it, so I don’t know for sure how it performed with the strobe. However, at some point, I would like to try to wire a strobe in series to the horn and see what happens. I’m betting it will be similar to the results of thesdx’s attempt in the other video you shared. It’s on my bucket list, I haven’t messed around with this particular unit in a while (busy with a lot at the moment).

In the meantime, if you’d like to compare the horn’s sound of my former 7002T-24 in the video you shared to the horn’s sound in the video of my legit 34T-24, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7bC-svR14k. I don’t think they sound to different.

Actually, there was a 34-6. I found one on Ebay a few months ago.

Now I am really curious to know exactly what is the difference between a Wheelock 34-6 and a Wheelock 34-12. Is it just the voltage and nothing else?

Exactly.

The difference would be the resistance of the coil (electromagnet). The 24V 34T/7002T has a coil with a resistance of 40 ohms.

In the 7002T, it is kind of wired both. In series with the coil, but in parallel with the contacts that cut the current upon the hammer reaching a certain point. It needs to be wired this way due to the fact that there is no oscillator for the transformer inside the strobe module, it uses the oscillation from the contacts opening and closing again to preform this task.

But would they sound any different from a 34-12?

I am guessing not. Even thought the voltage ratings are different, most of the inner workings remain the same. The main difference (other than the sticker) is the electromagnet. If the electromagnet is rated for a different voltage, the number of turns and/or wire gauge would be different. Basically, they are made to do the exact same thing, just at a different voltage. Like many other horns of this type, one may have a very slight pitch difference than another (my 2 9833s for example show this phenomenon). Hope this helps.

• The one who wired his 34T-24 and WST-24 in series ran it off 27 volts (three 9v batteries) and it sounded exactly like the 7002T.

• Also, the strobe on the 7002T is actually different from a WS. It’s designed to not operate without the horn and depends on the oscillation from the contacts opening and closing. Because of this, it requires less circuitry than a regular strobe. But it draws so much power from the horn that every time it flashes, the horn makes a skipping sound.