Does anyone else like this sound?

I happen to love the sound of the SpectrAlert Advance… Anyone else? i know most people hate it but i think it actually sounds pretty cool! I like how its very unique and low pitched. Plus when it echoes it is BEAUTIFUL!!!

I like it because it’s annoying.

I really don’t care about how “beautiful” a horn sounds…

When it first came out, I was disappointed that they went with the “jackhammer” tone instead of something more traditional. But it’s grown on me since then, and now I kind of like it. It is one-of-a-kind (besides the L-Series of course), and it sounds more urgent than the Classic.

I agree with Simplex 2903-9101. When they first came out I didn’t like the sound but it soon grew on me.

I don’t know if I’m the only one here that thinks this, but I really dislike the sound of the advance. I’ve had a several advances in my collection for about four years now and never grew on me. Up front it’s not too bad but in the distance it sounds like a dying goat to me. I always leaned towards lower pitched alarms like the U-MHU and True Alerts. I like vibratone horns too. I remember the days Honeywell brands leaned towards Wheelock with the AS’s and MT’s now it’s all System Sensor and that’s why I lean towards Simplex or Siemens brand systems. Although Notifier panels are good, I just hate how they only install advances now.

Don’t worry, now they’ll only install L-Series, which sound largely the same as Advances but a bit different, so they might sound better at a distance.

Better then Wheelock AS, because a Wheelock AS and the like, sounds too much like a game!

I like it I guess but I think that its been used way too much and its being overexposed to me and I feel that with that happening its making me tired of it and wanting to see something else I don’t usually see and want more of a variety of alarms. Though I do think the sound is OK, but then again I haven’t heard one in real life before.

The reason horns like the Spectralert Advance and the Simplex Truealert sound so distinct is because they sweep through a wide range of frequencies very rapidly. Horns like the Wheelock MIZ and the Gentex GX-90 just have one pitch without overtones, making them harder to hear in some cases.

I actually have always liked it, but I wouldn’t call it my favorite. Come to think of it, I’m not even sure what my favorite is. Anyway, whenever I hear an Advance in person, I can either tune into the buzzing low hum of the broadband tone, or I can tune into the high-pitched screech. I’ve always liked how it sounds in an echo. I also like how when it starts, it does the short pulse and especially when it is synchronized, it can behave in many ways when it first starts. If you’ve ever heard a Classic and an Advance on the same NAC of a NAC extender in sync-follower mode, you’ll know that sometimes one of them is one pulse ahead of the other. It gets fixed shortly, usually in less than a minute and the horns will sound in unison. The Advance can sometimes do three short pulses when starting. I like this little quirk, it’s special like how the 7002-T skips. (This post went on longer than I expected)

I agree with Green, the Advance and TrueAlert have multiple frequencies, with the latter being higher pitched. I prefer the TrueAlert sound more, I feel like the Advance/L-Series, and in some cases the Integrity, sound more like alarms you’d hear in a really large factory buildings and stores, like Home Depot, Costco, or any Amazon building (those probably have speakers but whatever). The sound and aesthetic of the horn makes should relate to what area it would be placed in.

Have them at work. Hate em. Loud, absolutely ear killing, and not pleasant by any means. The TrueAlerts, on the other hand, happen to be my favorite. The reason being is that sure, the sound is loud and it’ll make you jump as it should, but the tone is different to the point where it wont make your ears bleed, though it still gets the job done.

I like the obnoxious sound of an EST Integrity.

Well, the 2-wire TrueAlerts at least. The 4-wire ones are really shrill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nasTTKMC6QE - 2-wire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjmTmxcL8sg - 4-wire

I’d be interested to know if that second one was powered correctly (filtered DC). My 4-wire TrueAlert sounds a bit nicer than that I think… Maybe I should check! Also, hey! That first link is my video!

Wow. I didn’t even notice.