SpectrAlert Knockoff

I found this alarm manufactured by a brand named “KKmoon.” Just by looking at the preview picture, you can tell the build quality is very poor and does not appear very reliable. If you’re wondering about the “strobe”, well, it’s just 4 LEDs…

Here’s the link.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01J5PDER6/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1512935049&sr=8-15&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=fire+alarm

You know? I saw that. I’m definitely sure that would not be approved for use in a building. XD

Very true. It honestly looks like a toy. :lol:

I counted six LEDs. :lol:

Oh… :lol:

Meow Wolf (Immersive Art Installation) in Santa Fe, New Mexico is jam packed with these. Don’t ask how they even got there. Check out this topic i made back in the day. <URL url="Museum System? text=“viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8185”>Museum System?

[quote="[Isaaaakkk]
"]Meow Wolf (Immersive Art Installation) in Santa Fe, New Mexico is jam packed with these. Don’t ask how they even got there. Check out this topic i made back in the day. <URL url="Museum System? text=“viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8185”>Museum System?]

How are these even approved for use? If a deaf person was sleeping in a building fitted with these alarms, they wouldn’t wake up because the LEDs weren’t bright enough. And that person would be caught in the fire.

They’re not UL listed. In a perfect world, these would not be able to be sold and installed in real systems.
Multiple things failed to happen in the case of this art museum. The installer failed to source their signals from reliable, reputable companies, and instead took the route of least resistance in choosing cheap, bootleg Chinese signals from an unreliable source.
Whoever inspected the system should have realized the signals did NOT meet strobe intensity requirements for the system, not to mention checking to be sure every device performed properly.

Obviously this is all speculation, but there’s no one person at fault for this.

The cheapskate construction company that installed those alarms would most likely be at fault.

Furthermore, these alarms can’t do code 3, they only have a siren and a hi-lo tone, so that’s another blatant violation. And to top it off, they aren’t very loud, so chances are the system doesn’t meet sound pressure requirements as well.

I actually have one of these signals installed at my work (McDonald’s) as a CO2 signal.
We have a big tank of bulk CO2 in the back for use in everything from carbonation to the ketchup dispenser, so there’s also some CO2 sensors throughout the store that monitor the levels to make sure they’re within limits. The single signal is a white colored unit and it’s clearly a chinese knock-off of the SpectrAlert classic. the actual fire system is a FireLite MS9050 with Wheelock Exceder horn/strobes.

I just bought one off amazon just to see how it performs! :lol: It only cost around $13 plus shipping!

I’ve seen one of these installed at a local Culver’s above their storage freezer. Was not particularly happy to see it there, but it was pretty interesting to see one actually installed in some sort of practical application.

I guess these things are more popular than it seems.

All I can say is if I ever saw a building that used these in ANY sort of system, I would turn right back around and head out the door.

I’ve seen quite a few of these as CO2 alarms in convenience stores near me. They are white with a blue lens. You see one LED lit up inside the lens normally, and presumably the row of LEDs below it would blink if the alarm was triggered. I suppose they might be considered adequate for that purpose, but they definitely have no place in a fire alarm system.

I’ve also seen one of those devices (white version) being used as a CO2 alarm at a local brewery/restaurant. I’m quite surprised to hear that they’re commonly used for that purpose in North America; I initially thought that the installation I came across was some kind of oddity.