Fire alarms NAs installed really close to each other.

Have you seen such? The local Home Depot has SpectrAlert Advances all over the place, really close together to each other. I sure hope they are not on high volume. Ouch!

My elementary school had SpectrAlert Classics in the majority of the school and Advances in the newest building installed about 9 feet away from each other which is super close. If I can remember they were all on high volume.

The A.C. Moore that I just went to a few days ago had two SpectrAlert Classics on one wall beam back-to-back in opposite sides of the beam. I actually found that kind of weird.

At a nearby school built a few years back, the cafeteria has some SPSRs installed rather close to each other, but the room has these partition boards that can supposedly “reduce distractions” or something. It isn’t even a wall, you can walk right around them on any side, but I guess it still required extra attention.

My local library is the definition of overkill… Simplex TrueAlert horn/strobes, usually mounted three or four to a post, with these posts being maybe 15-20 feet apart from one another. The “quiet study” rooms, only designed for one person and a small desk, all have horn/strobes. Ironically, the much larger restrooms all have remote strobes.

The Bellows Falls, Vermont Rite Aid is the definition of overkill. A ton of Wheelock ASes! Easily like 20+ of them near each-other!

I’ve noticed that places that are otherwise “horn happy” still tend to have remote strobes for bathrooms. Though then again, I also encounter places that put horns in small one-person bathrooms.

But yeah, that’s ridiculous especially for a library. The one I work at is the opposite extreme - they have Cerberus Pyrotronics U-EC-MCS chime/strobes, and the amount of them they installed would be somewhat on the low side even if they were horns. There is plenty of strobe coverage, though.

Sounds like your place is a hospital, or sort of the like…

At Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center, (Greenfield, NH) when the group homes used to be numbered from 1-to-9 (9 is the only one to have a Simplex 2001 FACP, (in continuous) for what looked like monitoring all the other group homes’ FACPs, which were Simplex 4001s, except for house #2, since sometime in 1998, the house #2 Simplex 4001 FACP was killed by a T-storm! (At least apparently was ruled to be, IIRC!)

Well, house #6 was ad-hoc for persons considered death thus had a strobe in every bedroom, unlike all the other group homes, IIRC.
But, even house #6 didn’t have a horn in the rec. room, IIRC.

While house #4, had a Federal Signal 450E horn/strobe in the rec. room! (the old school kind) It was installed after I was on the campus for a long time!

Are those the Federal Signal horns that are electronic as opposed to electromechanical?

You bet they are!

The most baffling installation I’ve seen is this one:

As for “normal” setups, the system with the highest density of signals I’ve seen is probably the one pictured below (which I posted a few months ago). Each red dot represents a SpectrAlert Advance horn. This room can be divided, but I’m still surprised to see so many signals in such a small area. Other parts of this building featured a similar density of horns.

Just like this one:

Another Home Depot I went into also has NAs on the ceiling all over the place, really close together. Home Depot stores are pretty big on NAs for some reason. Seems excessive.

Even though they are no longer active (and the right ones has been removed) theae 4050s are pretty close, probably 12—16” apart

The main meeting room in the West Wing of my school had a split divider, so there are alarms x2, how fascinating. Originally each side had a Siemens AH-MCR horn/strobe (Wheelock AS) Then around when Siemens and Wheelock did the thing, they installed ZR-MCR strobes by the other two doorways. After the fire alarm change in mid-2015, they didn’t bother to uninstall any of these alarms, and put ZH-MC-CR ceiling mount horn strobes on both sides! That means that there are 6 ALARMS (4 horn/strobes and 2 remote strobes) in a room the size of a duel classroom, and best part is that none of them are disconnected.

oof

I’ve gotta ask where that is… I feel like I’ve seen that system before.

Probably not as egregious as some other examples, but my high school kind of had this setup with the alarms being real close together in one hallway. The machine shop hallway which has a wall shaped like a “L”, has a Simplex 2901-9838 on a 4903 strobe plate facing the doors where you enter into the hallway, then when you turn and go towards the classrooms and an outdoor exit, there is a Simplex 4903-9219 horn/strobe next to the exit. I personally thought it was overkill and the one time I was down there during a fire drill, the 9219 drowned out the 9838. (Of course I was in the machine shop exploratory rotation, so we got up and went out THROUGH the shop which had its own 9838 on a 4903 strobe plate.)

Kahler Inn and Suites, Rochester, MN.

I’m just wondering WHY they would be mounted like that at all? Are there other horns mounted a similar distance from those two or mounted like that in general?

That’s what I thought! I stayed there once about three years ago. Really strange system…