Simplex 4903 strobe plates

I heard somewhere that these strobe plates are rebranded, but I was not able to gather evidence. Is this actually a rebrand?

Doubt it. Being as ubiquitous as they were (basically every install pre-4904 electromechanical) they probably made their own. I can’t seem to find anything about it.

I was always under the impression that they were definitely original to Simplex but the 4050-80 plates might have been rebranded. Over here, you usually see more 4903s that 2903s.

I’ve heard that Faraday actually manufactured some of the retrofit plates custom for Simplex. Similar to how Wheelock now only makes the ZNS for Siemens (minus the lawsuit, of course).

The lawsuit is over so I doubt that Siemens will be making any new alarms themselves anymore.

The -9105 (both strobe plate and remote strobe) was made by Gentex, but Simplex used them instead. No idea about the others.

How did you find that out.

The strobe insert (4904-9105) was indeed made by Gentex specifically for use with the Simplex 4905 back plates. Gentex called them the G4 series. The original revisions were 110 Cd and had no reflector, while the later versions had reflectors and came in 15, 15/75, and 110 Cd - same story as the SHG.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gentex-G4-1575BW-24-VDC-Fire-Alarm-White-Strobe-Wall-Mount-New-In-Box/302493650323?hash=item466e06cd93:g:0bkAAOSwH2VZ6E60

Ahhhhh. I just found it now. Thanks for the info!

Actually, I’m pretty sure that that version was 100cd and not 110cd. I would look (in my collection), but I’m out of town at the moment.

I think you’re right.

The ADA ones were; they were made by Gentex (those being the 4903/4904-9104/-9105 series strobes).

Most of the electro-mechanical horns Simplex used were rebadged Faraday horn mechanisms.