Meetup?

Meetup?

• Yay
  • Nay
0 voters

Do you think a fire alarm enthusiast meetup would be a good idea?

If they wanted to have a meetup and were open to attending then I think it would be a good idea.

I think it would be a great idea. A fire alarm convention or something like national fire alarm day would be a day where fire alarm enthusiasts like you and I would meet up to trade, sell, and discuss about fire alarms

I’m going to check with the other Staff members regarding our forum’s policy on this type of discussion, but in the meantime I would like to leave you all with a general word of warning.

As with all websites, please use extreme cautious when attempting to contact or meet with someone you have met over the internet. While we hope to maintain an online user base that can freely and safely have discussions here on the forums, there is always the possibility that an individual representing themselves in one fashion online does not hold true to that representation in real life.

This applies particularly to our younger users here on the forums. Especially if you fit this characteristic, have a parent or other trusted adult accompany you to any sort of online meetup, and consider meeting in a inconspicuous public place where other individuals will be around.

I do not mean this post to deter or frighten anyone of you interested in holding a meetup, but the safety of our users is of utmost concern.

Thanks!

I think it would be a great thing, but as with all meetups, extreme caution ought to be exercised. I agree with Nick, I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, but we do have younger members on this board. It’s less of a concern between adults, but you have to be careful when children are involved.
Though, we do have a pretty niche interest so hosting a full-on hobbyist convention might not be practical. Informal events at a park or something could be an idea though.

I’d like to participate in this, but I’m a minor, so it might be a bit harder to coordinate things with and convince my parents to let me go meet up somewhere, especially if it’s out of state and meeting with people that are much older and are practically strangers. They might be fine if, say, Grant (SER Safety) or other people around his and my age met.

Considering that younger members have school especially around this time, perhaps summer would be more convenient for us.

Yeah. I think age brackets would be a good idea if we include the kiddos. I was thinking more of the adult crowd when I made the post.

A bunch of guys running around a building obsessing over fire alarms might just… er… look a little “weird”. Just sayin’

I agree. Though it really seems like this convention-idea might be worth a shot, since the community is noticeably getting bigger each year, surprisingly.

I mean, 111,000 views on a topic from 2014 about rare smoke detectors! That’s incredible.

Agreed

I’m totally up for it, but it will probably never happen with the users under 18 for obvious reasons, not unless parents will get involved.

Trust me, they have weirder conventions at the Henry B. Gonzales.

Like I said, it might be worth a shot, but they might be a bit skeptical since I’m meeting with practical strangers from the internet.

Maybe for enthusiasts around our age local meet ups might work better.

I’d think splitting enthusiast meetups into an ages 13-17 meetup (with parents, of course) and an ages 18+ meetup would make the most sense, if meetups were to ever actually happen. The biggest issue, though, probably has more to do with the actual location of enthusiasts. For example, I know of a handful of enthusiasts who live within an hour or two of me, but that’s not really enough for a full-on meetup, and very few people (myself included) would be willing to drive more than a few hours to take some photos of fire alarms or whatever. I definitely like the idea, but for a meetup to ever happen, it would take months of planning, not to mention at least some amount of money.