Questions about Two-Stage System Application

So I’m considering asking my school building manager to switch the system over to a two stage system since I heard some of the teachers were concerned about letting students out after The Incident. Thus, I would need to explain well how the system would work if the change is made.
The system runs a MS-9600UDLS with Wheelock Exceeders, and BG-12Ls for the majority of the building. I wish this was the end to make everything easy, but it isn’t - there is also a Potter EVAX Voice Evac system (one panel being the master and the other being the slave/expander panel), and Wheelock speakers in the Gym, Auditorium, and Cafeteria.

Theoretically, I would suggest to simply change the coding option to Two-Stage 3 Min and make general plans to the emergency plan to include the two stages, but since there are other partitions of the building that use a voice evacuation system, it gets complicated. I’m going to assume that the system uses control module (an unknown address at the moment) to set off the EVAX system since as it is labeled as the typical method in the installation manual. I don’t think the NACs or initiating devices are zoned either - everything is under the general alarm (Zone 00). Everything is currently set to Temporal.

So (big wave of questions! Sorry)…
[list=1]

• [*]Are we allowed to set the system to a two stage system since it’s a school? Would it not be a good idea?
  • [*]How do the proper authorities set the entire system to stage two once the alarm is verified without waiting? Do you have to activate a certain module?
  • [*]How do we get the EVAX system to go to the first stage? Is additional wiring required?
  • [*]What would the message typically output during first stage? Can the technician change these settings on the panel?
  • [*]If we had to, could we skip the first stage for the voice evacuation system and just have the horns and strobes activate? (I am aware about the risk of confusion so I plan to avoid this.)
  • [*]To ensure that the alarm module for the voice evacuation panel doesn't activate during first stage, would they have to program it to Zone 99 [i]and[/i] Zone 00, or is it one or the other?
  • [*]Is a fire alarm technician required to make the changes within the panel?
  • [/list]

Thanks for helping. :slight_smile:

I know we have it by code here that schools have to be single stage systems, so that kids get out quickly and safely. I’m not sure what the code is where you are but it wouldn’t be allowed where I’m from.

I tried looking up stuff from NFPA and our state fire code and they say nothing about how a two-stage system should be used and when it should be applied. Could we assume then that it is allowed?

NFPA is different than CFAA. I think a lot of it has to do with your AHJ, too.