Some general requirements

Hello folks,

I’m currently in the process of creating a statement of work for an upcoming fire alarm replacement project. I’ve got a few questions for the experts here.

1. This alarm is less than 10 zones. Do I need a printer? What are the requirements for having a printer?
  2. How about a PA system? The old system (Notifier 5000) doesn’t have one, but I know a lot of current options do.
  3. What should be included in the O&M Manual? Yes, you installers probably hate guys like me, but I have to spec it. I’ve got material data sheets, zones and addresses, but I don’t know what to include in the manual for required record keeping.

I appreciate any assistance.
Mac

I think I’ve answered my own questions for items #1 & #2. My panel is only 17 zones, so I don’t think a printer or PA system is required. I still have no idea about what’s typically in an O&M Binder, whether required or simply recommended. Hopefully someone here can help me out with this last topic. NFPA 72 isn’t clear to me for record keeping.

Printer is basically never required unless it’s a local requirement, wouldn’t even worry about it.

Voice depends on the building size, type, occupancy, etc. Generally if it’s under 75’ you don’t need voice, unless it’s a school or auditorium, something along those lines with a general assembly. If it’s offices, probably not needed.

For O&Ms, ask for:
-Operation and routine maintenance manual.
-Maintenance, Inspection and Testing Records according to NFPA 72.
-Record of Completion Documents according to NFPA 72.
-Warranty Letter.

There’s plenty of spec’s out there you can copy info from.

[quote=chris+s post_id=79628 time=1521592027 user_id=3064]

Printer is basically never required unless it’s a local requirement, wouldn’t even worry about it.

Voice depends on the building size, type, occupancy, etc. Generally if it’s under 75’ you don’t need voice, unless it’s a school or auditorium, something along those lines with a general assembly. If it’s offices, probably not needed.

For O&Ms, ask for:
-Operation and routine maintenance manual.
-Maintenance, Inspection and Testing Records according to NFPA 72.
-Record of Completion Documents according to NFPA 72.
-Warranty Letter.

There’s plenty of spec’s out there you can copy info from.

[/quote]

Thanks Chris. I hadn’t considered a warranty letter.