Tips/best way to get my NICET 1?

Hey all!! I’ve been doing security, CCTV, and access control for about 2 years now. While starting to mess with fire the pass 6-8 months. I’m currently focused 100% on getting my NICET. I just want to make sure I’m guaranteed a passing score by preparing.

Do any of you have any tips or suggestions on the quickest way for me to pass my NICET exam? I’m sure there’s too much of NFPA 72 to memorize… so I’m currently using a NICET study guide which basically asks questions, and then gives me the answer at the bottom of the page.

Any and all help is appreciated!!

nicet 1 is a lot of generic things like basic math, electronics, etc. that you should already be good on. the nfpa72 isn’t meant to be memorized, you’re allowed to use it on the test, what you need to be able to do is know how to find information in it quickly.

for example, if they ask you a question about heat detector spacing, you should know which chapter deals with detection and where to skim through to find it. they basically want you to be able to navigate the code book very well.

so spend time memorizing what type of stuff is in each chapter, how to use the appendix, as well as the index.

Having just taken (and passed!) this test, I suggest the NTC Red Book, a recent edition that is not based on the “elements”, if you can find it at a reasonable price. It is good for the higher levels as well so something to hang onto.

As chris+s stated, the main exercise of the test is being able to reference the code books efficiently. As you do practice questions, you will notice that you keep coming back to certain sections of the books. Take note of these sections. Skim the headings so you understand how they are organized. Practice following references to different sections, tables, or annexes. Practice looking things up until you are comfortable finding the right sections. You will end up memorizing things as you do this, but that is more of a bonus than the main goal.

As the content outline states, a number of the questions pertain to jobsite safety and first aid. You do need to memorize some facts related to these. Read through OSHA regulations 29 CFR 1910 and 1926 (available online) about things you do on your job, especially using ladders. Then read publications from the American Red Cross about common injuries and conditions and first aid for them.

Get a good night’s sleep before the test. Good luck!

I’m also looking to get my NICET 1 in the near future. For level 1, the experience has to be 3 months, right? Would working as a fire marshal’s apprentice count?

[quote="Robert A" post_id=79703 time=1522122448 user_id=2817]

I’m also looking to get my NICET 1 in the near future. For level 1, the experience has to be 3 months, right? Would working as a fire marshal’s apprentice count?

[/quote]

Not sure if that would count as it might not be considered “technical experience”. Although I would think that it would because it’s part of inspections. Which in my mind i would consider technical.

[quote="Robert A" post_id=79703 time=1522122448 user_id=2817]

[/quote]

Read this page in detail, especially the certification requirements link. It sounds like with your experience you’d be better suited to go for the ITF certification, but read that entire page and all the forms it links to if you want to really find out.

I think college classes counts toward experience. Used too anyways.