Camera picking up "popping" noise when strobes flash

This isn’t an issue now, this was something I had to deal with back in 2012 (and in 2013 to an extent). Allow me to explain.

Since I am starting fresh on a new channel, that means reposting a majority of the videos previously uploaded to my old channel will be reuploaded, albeit slightly edited for one reason or another.

Some of those videos will feature video clips that I recorded with my now-retired Flip camera (it was a Flip Mino HD for those who are wondering). Whenever I record a horn/strobe or remote strobe (no speaker/strobes because, at the time, I didn’t have the knowledge on how to apply proper power to speakers), especially for just powering the strobe(s) alone, a popping sound would occur when the strobe(s) flashes.

Here’s a good example: https://youtu.be/Z-Irp1FXwHI?t=3m57s (note: this video is from my old channel)

Why would this happen?

What does the Flip camera have (or lack) that the Sony Handycam (the camera I have been using since 2013) doesn’t?

Here’s a better example (IMO): https://youtu.be/Vql7HKy_Ks0?t=2m29s

Oh i have the same question. My old phone (iPhone 5c) did this as well

A xenon strobe tube is a high voltage device. Power for the tube is around 200 to 300 volts depending on the tube. The flash is triggered by a much higher voltage. The tube will have a metal band around it or a wire wrapped around it. That is connected to a trigger transformer which produces a short pulse in the 4,000 to 10,000 volt range. Again, the exact voltage depends on the specifications for the tube.

The popping noise in a phone is that it is picking up the electric field produced by the high voltage discharge used to fire the tube. Whether a phone is effected depends on the circuitry and shielding in the phone.

Tutorial on xenon flash tubes.

[quote="Retired STR-SG" post_id=79832 time=1522803004 user_id=3047] The popping noise in a phone is that it is picking up the electric field produced by the high voltage discharge used to fire the tube. Whether a phone is effected depends on the circuitry and shielding in the phone. [/quote]

Interesting…

[quote="Retired STR-SG" post_id=79832 time=1522803004 user_id=3047]

A xenon strobe tube is a high voltage device. Power for the tube is around 200 to 300 volts depending on the tube. The flash is triggered by a much higher voltage. The tube will have a metal band around it or a wire wrapped around it. That is connected to a trigger transformer which produces a short pulse in the 4,000 to 10,000 volt range. Again, the exact voltage depends on the specifications for the tube.

The popping noise in a phone is that it is picking up the electric field produced by the high voltage discharge used to fire the tube. Whether a phone is effected depends on the circuitry and shielding in the phone.

Tutorial on xenon flash tubes.

[/quote]

Thank you Bill Nye the fire alarm science guy